LOCKPORT – Gougar Road and 147th Street in Lockport will be closed for about five months to make way for road improvements.
Construction will begin May 1 and is set to end Oct. 1, according to a Lockport news release. Roadway improvements will include widening and reconstruction of a portion of the older section of Gougar Road, north of 151st Street. The roads are near Heritage Crossing business park.
“This is really connecting the business parks between those east and west roads,” City Administrator Ben Benson said.
He said the construction might take less than five months.
Improvements also will include a connection of the newer and older sections of Gougar Road to form a continuous route from 143rd to 151st Street. There will be reconstruction and widening of a portion of 147th Street between Gougar Road and Lemont Road.
Gougar Road will be closed north of 151st Street and 147th Street west of Lemont Road. Traffic will be detoured using South Creme Road.
A traffic control plan showing proposed detour routes is available for review. For information, call 815-838-0549.
Benson said this is one of many construction roadway projects happening this summer.
Other construction projects include:
• Division Street Bridge replacement;
• Route 7 sidewalk improvements;
• Garfield Street reconstruction;
• Thornton and 159th street signals and improvements;
• 10th and Jefferson Street reconstruction;
• Whelan Street reconstruction;
• 13th and State Street signals;
• Fourth Street Reconstruction;
• The Kelvin Grove School sidewalk improvements as part of the Safe Routes to School Program.
City workers also plan to do reconstruction at Read Street, Summit Drive and Runyan Drive. A storm sewer project has been planned for roads near Third Street, Summit Drive and Seventh Street.