JOLIET – Two men are expected to survive after being shot early Sunday on a Joliet street.
At 1:37 a.m., police were called to the 1500 block of Fairmont Avenue to find Jeffrey I. Faint Jr., 20, of Joliet, lying on the sidewalk with several gunshot wounds, according to Joliet police Deputy Chief Ed Gregory.
Witnesses told police Faint had been standing with a group of people when two black men approached, and one of them took out a gun and began firing into the crowd, Gregory said.
Faint was struck twice in the back and three times in his left arm, according to police reports. He underwent surgery at Silver Cross Hospital in New Lenox and was expected to survive.
While police were at the hospital, a 31-year-old man walked in with a gunshot wound to the big toe of his right foot, Gregory said.
"Investigators learned he'd been shot during the same incident," Gregory said.
That man was treated and released.
Gregory said police recovered shell casings and bullet fragments from the scene. The shooter was described as 6 feet 1 inch tall and was wearing jeans and a dark-colored hoodie. He was seen running north after the shooting.
The Department of Corrections reports Faint was released on parole April 15 from the Illinois River Correctional Center where he was serving a five-year sentence for aggravated discharge of a firearm.
In July 2011, Faint was on a three-day furlough from juvenile detention when he shot a 19-year-old man in a drive-by shooting at Fourth and Wilson avenues in Joliet, according to Herald-News records. Faint had been on parole earlier this year, but was sent back to prison in February following a domestic battery arrest, according to Will County jail records.