Digital Access

Digital Access
Access theherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Health

IPC warns of dangers from fall mushrooms

Unfriendly fungi can cause poisonings

Every year as the cool, damp weather of fall sets in, the Illinois Poison Center (IPC) receives calls about a potential threat popping up in neighborhoods and nearby forest preserves across the country: mushrooms.

Many different types of toxic mushrooms can be found in Illinois, and most are minimally to moderately toxic. However, in rare cases, they can be very poisonous and require hospitalization.

Liver damage from mushrooms that contain amatoxin is among the largest concerns when consuming poisonous mushrooms. Unlike most gastrointestinal irritants, which typically cause symptoms within two to three hours, amatoxin-containing mushrooms may not produce symptoms until six to 24 hours after ingestion.

Delaying treatment can result in adverse outcomes. The amatoxin-containing mushrooms most likely to be consumed in Illinois are:

• Amanita bisporigera, notable for its white cap, stem and gills, and a distinct cup of tissue at the base of the stem; and

• Galerina marginata, a small brown-orange mushroom that can easily be mistaken for the edible honey mushroom.

Even if they do not contain amatoxin, wild mushrooms can still cause serious illness.

Those that contain gastrointestinal irritants are the culprits in many fall mushroom poisonings in Illinois and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The most common of these mushrooms include:

• Chlorophyllum molybdites, which grows throughout the summer and fall months in Illinois and has olive green gills and oatmeal-like patches on its cap; and

• Omphalotus illudens, which is also called the Jack-O'-Lantern mushroom for its bright orange color and is often mistaken for the edible species chanterelles.

Even edible mushrooms can be dangerous. Eating raw wild mushrooms or spoiled mushrooms can cause symptoms similar to those of food poisoning, including vomiting, diarrhea and other stomach problems.

As with most poisons, an individual’s symptoms can depend on many factors, including age, weight and amount consumed. If a poisoning is suspected, don’t wait for symptoms to appear, and instead, call the IPC immediately.
 
Mushroom identification is extremely difficult and is best left to mycologists, who study fungi and have years of training. The IPC urges everyone to avoid eating any wild mushrooms.

If you or someone you know may have eaten a potentially poisonous mushroom, call the IPC immediately. To help with identification:

• Collect the mushroom in question

• Carefully dig up a few additional mushrooms, complete with underground parts

• If there is more than one kind of mushroom in the area, collect all of the different types; note if the mushroom was growing on wood, soil or other material, or if it was growing alone or in clusters; and

• If possible, take digital photos of the mushroom from different angles, including its stem and the top and underside of its cap, to send to IPC staff.

Using the digital images and other information collected, the IPC can consult with expert mycologists in different parts of the state to obtain an initial identification of the mushroom, helping the IPC staff to make appropriate treatment recommendations.

For more information on fall safety hazards from the IPC, visit http://illinoispoisoncenter.org/fall_safety.


IPC experts are available to provide information and treatment advice 24 hours per day, 365 days per year, including holidays. If you suspect that you or someone you know has been exposed to a potentially harmful substance, call the IPC at 800-222-1222. The call is free and confidential.

For more information, visit http://illinoispoisoncenter.org.

The Illinois Poison Center is a nonprofit health service that provides the people of Illinois with comprehensive and trusted information and treatment advice on potentially harmful substances via a free, confidential 24-hour helpline staffed by specially trained physicians, nurses and pharmacists.
 
 
 

Loading more