• 11th annual Nature Photography Contest – Aug. 11: Partners prepare exhibit. Aug. 12 to 13: Exhibit day during visitor center hours. Aug. 13: Exhibit closes at 3 p.m. Photo pickup: 3:30 to 4 p.m. For information, visit gooselakeprairie.org.
• 13th Photographic Arts Society Members Exhibit – Through Aug. 25, Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Featuring the work of Barbara Eberhard. Reception is from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 25. For information, call 815-483-4310, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.galleryseven.net. For information about PAS, visit www.photographicartssociety.org.
• 2017 Illinois State Fair – Deadlines for competitions approaching. New competitions are Newlywed Game and Beat the DJ. For information, visit www.illinoisstatefair.info or call the competitive events office at 217-782-0786.
• Can You Spy Scout? – Through Aug. 15. When you find Scout at a Plainfield Park District building or park, take a photo with Scout and post it on the district’s Facebook page. Leave Scout for the next person. For information, visit plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Challenge Fitness court rentals –
2021 S. Lawrence Ave., Lockport. Tennis and racquetball/wallyball courts when LTPD programs are not running. For information, call 815-838-3621, ext. 0, or visit
• Camping reservations – Make campsite and shelter reservations for Illinois Department of Natural Resources sites online through the Reserve America website at www.reserveamerica.com.
• Crafters and vendors sought – For Coal City United Methodist Church Craft/Vendor Show on Sept. 9. $20 a space. Registration deadline is Sept. 4. For registration or information, contact Judy Miller at 815-530-5933 or email@example.com, or call the church office at 815-634-8670.
• Experience History app – Information and photos about Illinois historic sites. Ability to make digital donations. Search “historic sites of Illinois” with iTunes or “Illinois Historic Preservation Agency” in Google Play.
• Explore Midewin – Trails open daily from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. The Ranger Trail is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday until Nov. 4. Local prehistoric bison bones and a mastodon tooth on display in the Welcome Center. The Welcome Center is open from
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday through Nov. 4, which is National Bison Day. For maps, visit www.fs.usda.gov/main/midewin/maps-pubs. For information, call 815-423-6370 or email Midewin_RSVP@fs.fed.us.
• “Fine Arts for Finer Lives” exhibition –
9 a.m. to 9 p.m. through Aug. 11, Lewis University, Brent and Jean Wadsworth Family Gallery, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Founded by Lewis alumna Brittany Bishop of Rockdale. For information, email Natalie Swain at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.lewis.edu.
• Forest Preserve District’s picnic shelter availability now online – Reservations must be made in person. To check availability, visit reconnectwithnature.org. For information, call 815-727-8700.
• Grinchmas on the Green Trees – Trees are on sale now for the Village Green Park tree lighting ceremony. For information on buying a tree, call 815-436-8812.
• Grundy County SWCD tree and fish sales – Tree orders are due Sept. 7, delivered Sept. 14. Triploid grass carp orders are due Oct. 6, other orders due by noon Oct. 16. For information and order forms, call
815-942-0359, ext. 3.
• Hunter and boating safety education courses – For dates and times, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/safety.
• I Spy the Bookmobile Photo Contest – Through Aug. 31. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• IDNR announces 2017-18 waterfowl hunting season dates – For information, visit shawurl.com/34lx.
• Illinois State Fair online – Through Aug. 20. Buy gate admission, parking passes and mega passes at www.eventsprout.com.
• Lockport Township Park District classes and trips – Classes for children, adults and seniors include swimming, dance and child development. Trip opportunities. Visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Mastodons of Minooka – Three Rivers Public Library District, Minooka branch, 109 N. Wabena Ave., Minooka. To schedule a viewing, call Michele Houchens at 815-467-1600, ext. 207.
• Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie new mobile app – Downloading from the app store or Google Play. A web app can be accessed on demand at www.midewin.oncell.com.
• Mushroom collecting – No license is required for mushroom collecting in Illinois, but mushroom collectors must have landowner permission and, on public sites, must adhere to approved collecting regulations and hours. Call ahead to the state site for any site-specific regulations regarding mushroom collecting.
• Preserve the Moment Photo Contest – Through Dec. 31. Amateur photographers 18 and older. A complete list of contest rules and instructions on how to submit photos will be available on the Forest Preserve District of Will County’s website, reconnectwithnature.org.
• Scout Scavenger Hunt – Through Aug. 31, Plainfield Park District. For information and to download a guide book, visit plfdparks.org. For questions, call 815-436-8812.
• Storytime – Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Storytime/Toddler Time – White Oak Library District, Crest Hill branch, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, contact Amy Byrne at 815-552-4278 or email@example.com, or visit
• Storytime – White Oak Library District, Lockport branch, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. For information, visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org or call 815-552-4265.
• “The Art of Illinois” – Juried art show runs in October at Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Open to all artists of Illinois, 18 and older. Submission dates are through Aug. 15. The prospectus can be found at
• WCSF-FM 88.7 collecting for Mega Music Rummage Sale – Seeking donations of used and collectible music and memorabilia. To arrange pickup or drop-off, call Jessica Stevens at 815-740-3697. For information about the sale or the radio station, call radio manager Anthony Musiala at 815-740-3645.
• Wildlife – Don’t bother wildlife. Young animals often are left alone while parents search for food. Probably not orphaned if the animal appears well-fed with bright eyes and clean fur or feathers. Do not touch or remove unless certain orphaned or injured, and then contact a wildlife rehabilitator by visiting shawurl.com/32k8.
• WotNow – The city of Lockport has contracted with WotNow, a social events app, to promote local events and send reminders of events and happenings in Lockport and surrounding areas. To download this free app, visit lockport.org/wotnow.
• 6th annual Fashion Show Bruncheon – 11 a.m. Sept. 10, Bolingbrook Country Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Proceeds benefit Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center Behavioral Health Center. For ticket information, email Pamela Bowden at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dorothy Stanfield at email@example.com, or call auxiliary liaisons at PSJMC at 815-725-7133, ext 3371 or 3466.
• 20th annual St. Mary Immaculate Golf Outing – Sept. 22, Bolingbrook Golf Club, Bolingbrook. Lunch, golf, cocktails, dinner, raffles and prizes. For information and sponsorships, visit smigolf.org.
• A Swing and a Prayer – Aug. 25. Registration is at 11:30 a.m., shotgun start is at 1 p.m., dinner is at 6 p.m., Joliet Country Club, 1009 W. Joliet Highway, Joliet. $160. For event sponsorship information, contact Pete at 630-495-8008, ext. 6531, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For event information, contact Marianne at 815-724-1229 or email@example.com, or visit shawurl.com/32i5.
• Bike & Dine Lockport – 9:45 a.m. Sept. 9, Public Landing, south parking lot, 10th Street and the canal, Lockport. Each ride makes two food stops. Ends at Public Landing. $45. Portion benefits Main Street Lockport Inc. Register at www.visitlockport.com.
• Celebrity Ryder Cup Style Golf Event – Oct. 6, Heritage Bluffs Public Golf Club, Channahon. Based on two teams of 13 foursomes, each led by a celebrity captain and sports great: Eric Soderholm, former White Sox third baseman and Bill “Soup” Campbell, former Cubs pitcher. Prizes awarded. Event includes lunch, golf and cart, cocktails, dinner and program. Proceeds benefit construction of Arroyo Trails nature park. For information or to register for the event, visit www.PeopleForChannahonParks.org or call 815-467-7275.
• Joliet East High School Class of 1977 40th reunion – 6 to 11 p.m. Aug. 19, Gatto’s Italian Restaurant and Bar, 1938 E. Lincoln Highway, New Lenox. $60. Includes dinner and music by Strung Out. Make check payable to Joliet East Class of 1977 and mail to Joliet East Class of 1977, 1147 Brook Forest Ave., 171, Shorewood, 60404.
• Lincoln-Way Central 50th Class reunion – Oct. 14 at Harrah’s Joliet. Registration is 5:30 p.m. Cocktail hour from 6 to 7 p.m. Dinner from 7 to 8:30 p.m. $50. Seeking classmates. For classmate information or to make reservations, call Linda Istel Klier at 815-469-6943.
• Plainfield Park District T-Ball classes begin in September – for 3- to 4-year-olds. For information, www.plfdparks.org or call 436-8812.
• Trip: Four Winds Casino – 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sept. 6. Bus departs from Prairie Bluff Public Golf Course, 19433 Renwick Road, Crest Hill. For information, call Lockport Township Park District at 815-838-1183, ext. 207, or visit www.lockportpark.org.
• Trip: Washington, D.C. & Baltimore’s Inner Harbor – Sept. 11 to 18. For information, call Lockport Township Park District at 815-838-1183, ext. 207, or visit www.lockportpark.org.
• 2nd annual Zonta Club of Joliet Festival of Culture Fundraiser – 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 25, Jacob Henry Estate Victorian Ballroom, Joliet. Seeking local restaurants to participate by providing food samplings. Call 815-483-8456.
• Mendota’s 70th Annual Sweet Corn Festival – Through Aug. 13. For information and a free brochure, call 815-539-6507 for a free brochure or visit www.sweetcornfestival.com.
• Grandparents’ Day Out – 9 a.m. to noon, Crest Hill Branch Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. Bring your little ones for games, giveaways, Touch a Truck, face painting, ice cream. Free. For more information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Preschool Activity Time – 10 to 11 a.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Ages 2 to 6 with parent. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Beginning Genealogy – 1:30 to 3 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. Visit jolietlibrary.org or call 815-740-2660.
• Open Video Game Play – 3 to 5 p.m.; also Aug. 13, Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Play video games on our Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4 and WiiU gaming consoles. A library card or school ID is required to play. Grades 6 to 12. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Food Truck Fridays – 4 to 7:30 p.m.; also Aug. 18, Plainfield Township Access, 22525 W. Lockport St., Plainfield. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Paint Night & Date Night – 6 to 10 p.m., Jacob Henry Mansion, Joliet. $75 per person. $125 per couple. Benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will & Grundy Counties. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit bbbswillgrundy.org.
• End of Summer Shindig – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Village Green Park, 24121 West Chicago St., Plainfield. $5 wristband for inflatables. Face painting, splash pad, concessions. Bring clothing to tie-dye. For information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Princess Night – Princess Night is at 7:05 p.m. Aug. 11. Royalty Night is at 6:05 p.m. July 22. For information, call the box office at 815-722-2287 or visit jolietslammers.com.
• Back to School Splash: One Last Pool Party – 7:30 to 10 p.m., Heritage Falls Water Park, 101 Troxel, Romeoville. games, contests, music, poolside movie at dusk! General pool admission applies, or donate a school supply and get in free (one admission per donation). For more information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• “The LEGO Batman Movie” – 8 p.m. (dusk), Island Park District parking lot, 315 N. Water St., Wilmington. Movie show indoors in inclement weather. Popcorn, games, activities before movie. For information, call 815-476-2729.
• Open Mic night – 9 to 11 p.m.; also Aug.18, Tully’s Monster Pub and Grill, 104 Liberty St., Morris. Call 815-941-5098.
• 18th Annual Festa Italiana – Through Aug. 13, American Italian Cultural Society, 1918 Donmaur Drive, Crest Hill. For more information, visit www.americanitalian.org.
• River Fest – Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Visit www.bicentennialpark.org.
• French Hens French Country Market – 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Canal Port, Morris. Antiques, artisans, hand crafted items, fresh produce, baked goods, flowers. For information, visit www.3FrenchHensMarket@blogspot.com.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing” – 8 a.m. to noon; and 10 to 11 a.m., Wednesday, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve in Plainfield. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Bike & Dine Lockport – 9:45 a.m. Public Landing, south parking lot, 10th Street and the canal, Lockport. Each ride makes two food stops. Ends at Embers. $45. Portion benefits Main Street Lockport Inc. Register at www.visitlockport.com.
• Midewin By Auto Tour – 10 a.m., Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, 30239 S. State Rt. 53, Wilmington. For information, visit http://shawurl.com/331p.
• Will/Grundy Genealogical Society membership meeting – 10 a.m., Coal City Public Library, 85 N. Garfield St., Coal City. Speaker: Maureen Brady, family history trainer at the Buffalo Grove Family History Center. Topic: “Tapping the Power of Family Search.” 35th anniversary celebration with cake, installation of incoming officers, special raffle.
• End-of-Summer Luaus – Noon to 2 p.m., C.W. Avery Family YMCA, 15120 Wallin Drive, Plainfield, call 815-267-8600; Galowich Family YMCA, 749 Houbolt Road, Joliet; call 815-744-3939; and Smith Family YMCA.,1350 S. Briggs St., Joliet, call 815-726-3939
Joliet. For information, visit www.jolietymca.org.
• Forgotten Warrior Memorial Ceremony – 1 p.m. Aug. 12, Channahon State Park, 25302 W. Story St., Channahon. Operation Stop 22 Motorcycle Run starts at 8 a.m. in the countryside. After-party is at 3 p.m. at Fat Daddy’z Bar & Grill, 176 W. Jackson St., Seneca. For information on all events, visit shawurl.com/32k4.
• Hooks, Needles & More (craft club) – 1 to 2:30 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For more information, call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• 18th Annual Festa Italiana – 2 to 11 p.m.; also 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Aug. 13. Famous meatball sandwich, Italian beef and sausage, mostaccioli, gelato, cannoli, tiramisu. Bake sale, raffles and games for the kids. Entertainment all day, both days. Free admission. For information, visit www.americanitalian.org.
• Lab Ratz-SLIME – 2 to 3 p.m., Morris Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Registration required. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Saturday Special: Build It! – 2 to 4 p.m. Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. DUPLO and LEO blocks. Ages 2 through grade five. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Pro Wrestling Blitz “WrestleFest 8” – Doors open 4 p.m., Bell rings 6 p.m., Edward Hospital Athletic and Event Center, 55 Phelps Ave., Naperville. $35 (adults) and $25 (kids). For tickets and information, visit http://shawurl.com/34lw.
• Morris Cruise Night – 6 to 9 p.m., Downtown Morris. Proceeds benefit Morris Rotary Club. Call 815-941-4212 or visit morriscruisenight.com.
• “Midnight Madness” – 7 p.m., Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Monee Reservoir, 27341 Ridgeland Ave., Monee. Stay up late to enjoy fishing from an accessible, well-lit shoreline. Free, all-ages program. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• 815 Youth Weekend of Talent & Growth – Noon, Nowell Park, Joliet. Talent show contest, 3 on 3 basketball tournament, dance contest double dutch, tug of war, food vendors, free hot dogs, Joliet Fire Department fire truck, Black Police Officers Association, bounce house, giveaways, school supplies special performances. Hosted by Joliet Unity Movement. For information, call 815-324-2499.
• Free Summer Block Party – 1 to 4 p.m., Compass Church Bolingbrook, 151 E. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Lunch and drinks, bounce houses, games, prizes DJ and the Bolingbrook Park District climbing wall and trackless train. For information, call 630-739-2824 or visit www.thecompass.net.
• Afternoon Artist: Paradise Found – 2 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Diane McAroy of Social Artworking will guide you through a fun canvas painting. Supplies provided. Light refreshments. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• 26th annual Golf Outing – Aug. 14, Flossmoor Country Club, 1441 Western Ave., Flossmoor. $225 a golfer. Dinner only is $40. Benefits Cancer Support Center in Mokena and Homewood. For information, call 708-798-9171 or visit www.cancersupportcenter.org.
• Family Just Dance – 4 to 5 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Refreshments. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Pokémon League – 6 to 8 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For more information, call 815-552-4210 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Scrabble Club – 6 to 8 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For more information, call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Cruisin’ into Lockport – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Central Square, 9th and Hamilton Streets, Lockport. Chevy cars, live entertainment (Top Drop, country), face painting, inflatable obstacle course, food vendors. 1960s night.
• Melted Crayon Art – 6:30 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Coffee & Conversation Book Club – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Discuss “Our Soul at Night” by Kent Haruf. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Summer Minecraft Club: Open Play – 3:30 to 5 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Grades 6 to 12. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Cruise Night – 5 to 8 p.m., Downtown Plainfield. Plymouth Congregational Church participating. Food area with bottled water, popcorn, dog treats. For information or to showcase musical abilities, call Ilene at 815-725-6479.
• White Elephant Bingo – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Morris Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris.
Bring a “white elephant” prize. Light snacks provided. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• DYI Bookends – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For more information, call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Adult & Teen Chess Club – 7 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Join Jeff DiOrio of Elite Chess for chess. Any ability welcome. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Aladdin Bus Trip – Noon Morris Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. $100 per person, due at registration. Register in person at the library. Show starts 2 p.m. at the Cadillac Palace Theatre. Runtime is 2 hours and 30 minutes. After the show, the bus will go to White Fence Farms. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Discovery Isle – 1 to 3 p.m., Isle a la Cache Museum, 501 E. Romeo Road, Romeoville. Activity or demonstration focusing on plants, animals or history. Indoors or outside. Registration not required. Free, all ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Wellness Walking Wednesdays” – 5 to 6 p.m., Hickory Creek Preserve – LaPorte Road Access, Mokena; Rock Run Preserve, Black Road Access, Joliet; Whalon Lake, Royce Road, Naperville. Free. All ages. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Cruise Night – 6 to 9 p.m., Stone City VFW Post 2199, 124 Stone City Drive, Joliet.
• Steampunk Journal Making – 6:30 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Grades six to 12. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• WWE SummerSlam Party – 6:30 to 8 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For tweens and teens. For information, call 815-552-4210 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Cruisin’ Frankfort – 5 to 9 p.m., Kansas & Oak Streets, downtown Frankfort. Classic cars. Visit www.frankfortcarclub.org.
• WriteOn Joliet – 6:00 p.m., Joliet Public Library-Black Road Branch, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Critique group. Any genre, any writing experience. For information, visit www.writeonjoliet.com or email email@example.com.
• Concert on the Hill – 6:30 p.m., Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. New: Kids Night. Tamara Martinez’ Kids Band. For information, call 815-724-3760 or visit www.bicentennialpark.org.
• Bedtime Stories – 6:30 to 7 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Bring a blanket and wear PJs for great stories and songs. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• DIY Soap Forming – 7 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Golfing for Wishes – Aug. 18, Broken Arrow Golf Club, Lockport. Includes complimentary beverages (beer & soft drinks) throughout the day, lunch at the turn and concludes with appetizers, cocktails and steak dinner for all guests. Silent and live auction. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or register at http://shawurl.com/344p.
• Mini Movin’ and Groovin’ – 9:30 to10:15 a.m.; and 10:30 to11:15 a.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Ages 8 months to to 5 with an adult. Drop-in. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Beyond the Mic! After Hours Open Art Night – 5 to 7 p.m., White Oak Library District, Romeoville Branch, 201 W. Normantown Road, Romeoville. For information call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Build With LEGO – 5 to 5:45 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Toddlers through fifth grade. Creations will be displayed in the children’s department. For information, call 815-942-6880.