• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at 1-866-800-1409.
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or 800-252-8966.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 6th annual Heart Haven Hustle –
6:30 to 9 a.m. Oct. 15, starts on Brooks Lane by Bar Louie, Bolingbrook. Organizer Heart Haven OutReach is a local organization providing mentoring services, support groups, recreational activities and more for high school teens in the greater Bolingbrook and Romeoville areas who are experiencing challenging times. For registration and information, visit shawurl.com/34t2.
• 9th annual Angels Against Abuse 5K Walk/Run – 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 28, Towne Center Park, 1 Towne Center Blvd., Shorewood. All proceeds benefit local families and children affected by domestic violence. For registration and information, visit www.gacsprograms.org/dvam.
• 13th annual A Walk to Remember – Oct. 14. Check-in and registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. A memorial service featuring music, poetry and a reading of baby names will be held at 9:30 a.m., followed by a 1-mile walk at 10:15 a.m., Riverwalk Grand Pavilion, 500 Jackson Ave., Naperville. To register, visit eehealth.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/ShareWalk2017.
• “A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls” – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursdays, Sept. 28 through Nov. 16, Lincoln Way Christian Church, 690 E. Illinois Highway, New Lenox. Free for New Lenox residents. For registration and information, contact Daniel Martin at 815-462-6493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Angel Garden Luminary Ceremony –
6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 14, Edward Hospital, Hope Angel Garden, 801 S. Washington St., Naperville. Adults only. To RSVP, call 630-527-3263. For information, visit www.eehealth.org/share-walk.
• Blood Run 5K/Zombie Walk – Oct. 14. 1K Kids Run is at 8:30 a.m. Main event is at 9 a.m. Starts and ends at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Benefits Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Early registration ends Oct. 6. To register, visit bloodrun5k.itsyourrace.com. For information, contact Lynnette Doherty at 815-726-3377 or email@example.com.
• Fitness for the Active Adult – Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 31 to Dec. 2. From 9 to 9:45 a.m. and 10 to 10:45 a.m., Plainfield Township Community Center, Plainfield. Ages 55 and older. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815- 436-8812.
• Fourth annual Haunted 5K Run and Walk – Oct. 22, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, All ages. Includes a 1-mile race for children under 12. Register at www.active.com/joliet-il/running/distance-running-races/jjc-haunted-5k-2017. For information, email Rich McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelly Larson at email@example.com.
• Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers CornFest 5K Fun Run – Sept. 30, White Oak Elementary School, 2001 Dupont Ave., Morris. Part of the Grundy County Corn Festival. The race begins at 9 a.m., preceded by a Tot Trot for children 8 a.m. and younger at 8:30 a.m. Registration through Sept. 26 at raceroster.com/13128. For information or forms, call 815-705-7364.
• Morris Hospital “Rhythm of Our Youth” cardiac screening – Sept. 22 at Dwight High School; Oct. 3 and Oct. 4 at Yorkville High School; Oct. 11 at Yorkville High School Academy; Oct. 31 at Reed-Custer High School; and Nov. 14 at Wilmington High School. Volunteers older than 18 needed. Call 815-705-7022. For information or an electronic student consent form, visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and older. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and older. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Total Body Conditioning – Classes run from 6 to 6:55 p.m. Monday classes run Oct. 30 to Dec. 11, Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Thursday classes run from Oct. 26 through Dec. 14, Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Valley View School District 365U School Safety Conference – 8 a.m. to
4:30 p.m. Sept. 28, Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Featured speakers Michele Gay, who co-founded the “Safe and Sound” initiative in honor of her daughter, Josephine, and in memory of those lost on Dec. 14, 2012, at Sandy Hook School, and Stephen Sroka, who went from living in the “projects” to being a professor. $99. Lunch included. Register at www.vvsd.org/modernview.
• Stroke and Aphasia Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 1, 150 W. High St., Morris. Facilitators: Ali Bute, speech pathologist, and Liz Thrun, social worker. Reservations not required. Contact Bute at 815-705-7440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Sept. 19, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Sept. 26, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Juicing vs. blending – 11:45 a.m. to
1:15 p.m . The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Presenters: Chris Rosandich, MS, and Leslie Susralski, program volunteer. For information and registration, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m. First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• NAMI Basics – 6 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesdays, starting Sept. 19 for six weeks. NAMI Will-Grundy, 417 Taylor St., Joliet. Free, six-week education program offered in a group setting for parents and family caregivers of children and teens who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so you can connect with other people face-to-face. Registration required by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. For information, visit www.namiwillgrundy.org.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Sept. 26, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Wellness Walking Wednesdays – 5 to 6 p.m., Hickory Creek Preserve, LaPorte Road Access, Mokena; Rock Run Preserve, Black Road Access, Joliet; Whalon Lake, Royce Road, Naperville. Free. All ages. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Senior Health Fair and Continental Breakfast – 8 to 10:30 a.m., VFW Post 9545 323 Old Hickory Road, New Lenox. Balance screening, blood pressure checks, medication review, flu shots, vendor giveaways, exercise demos. Lions hearing screening, resources and programs. Door prizes every half hour. Free breakfast to first 100 seniors to attend. For more information, call Daniel Martin, safe community coordinator, Village of New Lenox, at 815-462-6493
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Counseling Services for Veterans – 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Grundy County Administration Center, 1320 Union St., Morris. For information, call the Vet Center at 708-444-0561.
• Pediatric Cancer Awareness Soccer Game – Lincoln-Way West will host Lincoln-Way East. Junior varsity teams will kick off at 4:30 p.m. The varsity match will begin at 6 p.m. on the turf. Raffles, T-shirts, and other items available. Free admission. Toy donation for the Treasure Chest Foundation optional. Event proceeds donated to a local hospital.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Yoga – 7 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Free Dentistry Day – 8 a.m. to noon, Mokena Crossings Family Dental, 9990 W. 190th Street, Suite D, Mokena. Choice of one free filling, extraction or cleaning. First come, first serve. For information, call 708-479-9797 or visit www.FreeDentistryDay.org.
• Breathers’ Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High Street, Morris. For individuals with chronic lung disease, including COPD, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis and pulmonary fibrosis. Guest presenter pulmonologist Dr. Anas Lababidi will discuss lung disease and tests used in diagnosis. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events or call 815-705-7837.
• Get Fit Where You Sit – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Chair yoga for seniors. Free. Contact Tracy Domzalski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-479-9663
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Fall Prevention Awareness Event – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High St., Morris. Individual fall risk assessment, informational booths on Morris Hospital’s Medication Dispensing and Lifeline programs, medication interactions, exercise, assist devices and how to select them, infant safety, sight and hearing, speakers and topics. “Preventing Falls at Home” (11:30 a.m.), “Proper Use of Assist Devices” (11:45 a.m.), “Medication Review and Low Blood Pressure” (noon), “The Role of Exercise in Preventing Falls” (12:15 p.m.). Light refreshments. Giveaways. Bringing current list of medications recommended. For information, call 815-705-7491 or 815-705-7025. Transportation assistance is available by calling 815-705-7250.
• Our Fallen Hero 5k run/walk in memory of PFC Aaron Toppen – 8 a.m. Sept. 23, Willowview Park in Mokena. For information, contact Bridget Shafer at 708-710-9343 or ourfallenhero5k@gmail, or visit ourfallenhero5k.com.
• Fall Family Disability Resource Fair – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Information on researching and applying to grants specific to families with disabilities; support groups for parents, grandparents and guardians of children with disabilities; navigating high school and college as a freshman with disabilities; keeping children with disabilities safe in emergencies; qualifying for assistive technology device programs; understanding IEPs (Individual Education Programs); early intervention programs, equine therapy and service animals. Visit from Shetland pony and service animal. For more information, contact Debbie Tarrant at 815-729-0162 or email email@example.com or visit www.drcjoliet.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• 2nd Annual Madi’s Miracle – 2 to 7 p.m., Anthony’s Restaurant and Pub, 3151 Voyager Lane, Joliet. $25. Kids free. Food, cash bar, live bands, silent auction, raffle baskets. Raffles drawn at 6 p.m. Winner must be present. Benefits local girl recently diagnosed with neuro-degeneration with brain iron accumulation disorder. Fewer than 100 cases exist in the world. For more information, visit https://m.facebook.com/MadisMiracle4BPAN/.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Bolingbrook) – 6 p.m., Adventist Bolingbrook Hospital, Inspire Room, 500 Remington Blvd., Bolingbrook. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hines Veteran’s Medical Unit – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Heritage Woods of Dwight, 701 E. Mazon Ave., Dwight. For information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission, at 815-941-3152.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Two-Part Prepared Childbirth Class – 6 to 9 p.m.; and Oct. 2, Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $80 per couple. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries.org.
• Baby Care Basics – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Morris Hospital Boardroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. $15 a couple. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Family & Friends of Breast Cancer Survivors – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants should call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• “I Can Cope” Breast Cancer Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Free. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.IMatter.silvercross.org.
• Robotic Total Knee Replacement – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Robert Daley, orthopedic surgeon with ]The Midwest Institute for Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital. Free. Register to attend at www.midwestroboticsurgery.org