• Adventures in Exploring – For boys ages 4 to 12. Information available at 900 W. Romeo Road, Romeoville, or by calling 815-886-6222.
• Art of Illinois – Through October, Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. For information, call 815-483-4310, email email@example.com or visit www.galleryseven.net.
• “Best Baker in America” – Premiered
Sept. 27 on the Food Network channel. Features Joliet Junior College pastry chef Andy Chlebana. For information, visit www.foodnetwork.com/shows/best-baker-in-america.
• “Bolingbrook Kindness Rocks Challenge” – Paint rocks with inspirational quotes, messages and motifs. Leave them throughout the community and post photos of the rocks to the village of Bolingbrook, Fountaindale Public Library or Foundation for Bolingbrook Parks Facebook pages using #MAKEKindessRocks. For information, visit www.bolingbrookparks.org or call
• Challenge Fitness court rentals –
2021 S. Lawrence Ave., Lockport. Tennis and racquetball/wallyball courts when Lockport Township Park District programs are not running. For information, call 815-838-3621, ext. 0, or visit www.lockportpark.org.
• Crafters and vendors sought for Holiday House Craft/Vendor Show – Nov. 18, Grace United Methodist Church, Joliet. Registration deadline is Nov. 10. For registration or information, email Michelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Crafters and vendors sought – For Red Sled Holiday Bazaar on Oct. 14, Channahon United Methodist Church. $25 a space. Registration deadline is Sept. 30. Forms available at www.channahonumc.org. For information, call the church office at 815-467-5275 or email email@example.com.
• Crafters and vendors sought – For Trinity Christian’s Christmas Craft & Vendor Fair, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 2, 901 Shorewood Drive, Shorewood. Deadline is Nov. 17 or when full. For information, call Karen Kay at 815-577-9310.
• Experience History app – Information and photos about Illinois historic sites. Ability to make digital donations. Search “historic sites of Illinois” with iTunes or “Illinois Historic Preservation Agency” in Google Play.
• Explore Midewin – Trails open daily from 4 a.m. to 10 p.m. The Ranger Trail is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday until Nov. 4. Local prehistoric bison bones and a mastodon tooth on display in the Welcome Center. The Welcome Center is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday through Nov. 4, which is National Bison Day. For maps, visit www.fs.usda.gov/main/midewin/maps-pubs. For information, call 815-423-6370 or email Midewin_RSVP@fs.fed.us.
• Fifty Shades of Me by Donna Nevels – Through Sept. 29, Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. For information, call 815-483-4310, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.galleryseven.net.
• Forest Preserve District’s picnic shelter availability now online – Reservations must be made in person. To check availability, visit reconnectwithnature.org. For information, call 815-727-8700.
• “From Here - Desde Aquí” – 8 a.m. to
4 p.m., Monday through Friday until Oct. 16, Joliet Junior College, Laura A. Sprague Gallery, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. Features inspirational Mexican artwork by Pedro Javier Palacios and Rodrigo Montoya Ortiz.
• Grinchmas on the Green Trees – Trees now are on sale for the Village Green Park tree-lighting ceremony. For information on buying a tree, call 815-436-8812.
• Grundy County Soil and Water Conservation District tree and fish sales – Triploid grass carp orders are due Oct. 6, other orders due by noon Oct. 16. For information and order forms, call 815-942-0359, ext. 3.
• Hunter and boating safety education courses – For dates and times, visit
• IDNR announces 2017-18 waterfowl hunting season dates – For information, visit shawurl.com/34lx.
• “Imagine a Day Without Water” art contest – For third-, fourth- and fifth-grade students in Illinois American Water service area. Prize is a $100 donation for classroom. For information, visit the learning center at www.illinoisamwater.com.
• Library card sign-up month – Through September, Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet or 3395 Black Road, Joliet. All ages. Call 815-740-2660 or visit
• Lockport Township Park District classes and trips – Classes for children, adults and seniors include swimming, dance and child development. Trip opportunities. Visit www.lockportpark.org or call
815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Mastodons of Minooka – Three Rivers Public Library District, Minooka branch,
109 N. Wabena Ave., Minooka. To schedule a viewing, call Michele Houchens at
815-467-1600, ext. 207.
• Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie mobile app – Download from the app store or Google Play. A web app can be accessed on demand at www.midewin.oncell.com.
• Mushroom collecting – No license is required for mushroom collecting in Illinois, but mushroom collectors must have landowner permission and, on public sites, must adhere to approved collecting regulations and hours. Call ahead to the state site for any site-specific regulations regarding mushroom collecting.
• “Picture This, Romeoville!” – Monthly photo contest begins Oct. 1. For information, visit www.romeoville.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/444.
• Preserve the Moment Photo Contest – Through Dec. 31. Amateur photographers 18 and older. A list of contest rules and instructions on how to submit photos will be available on the Forest Preserve District of Will County’s website, reconnectwithnature.org.
• Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm Pumpkin Fest 2017 – Through Oct. 29, 17250 S. Weber Road, Lockport. All children with special needs, their parents and siblings receive free admission to the farm. Grandparents are free Monday through Friday with a paid grandchild entry. Excludes Columbus Day. The #FlyTheW maze opens Sept. 23. For themed events and information, visit www.OurPumpkinFarm.com.
• Storytime – Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Storytime/Toddler Time – White Oak Library District, Crest Hill branch, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, contact Amy Byrne at 815-552-4278 or email@example.com, or visit
• Storytime – White Oak Library District, Lockport branch, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. For information, visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org or call 815-552-4265.
• Tree and fish sale – Will-South Cook Soil and Water Conservation District is selling a wide varieties of plants, shrubs, trees and fish through Oct. 2. Rain barrels, composters, water test kits, soil test kits, logo T-shirts and baseball caps also are available to buy. For information, call 815-462-3106, ext. 3.
• Trinity Services Horticulture Program Fall Sale – Public can visit the greenhouse from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday to buy asters, baskets, straw bales, cornstalks and other arrangements. $4 to $25. Proceeds benefit the men, women and children with developmental disabilities and mental illnesses who Trinity supports. For information, visit www.TrinityGreenhouse.com or call 815-485-8146.
• VFW Cantigny Post 367 fundraiser – Buy a raffle ticket for a handmade patriotic quilt through Oct. 14 at VFW Cantigny Post 367, 826 Horseshoe Drive, Joliet. Proceeds benefit Post 367. Quilt will be displayed at all VFW events. Poster of quilt on display. For information or to buy a ticket, call Cheryl Kraus at 779-225-2834.
• Wildlife – Don’t bother wildlife. Young animals often are left alone while parents find food. Do not touch or remove unless certain orphaned or injured, and then contact a wildlife rehabilitator by visiting shawurl.com/32k8.
• WotNow – The city of Lockport has contracted with WotNow, a social events app, to promote local events and send reminders of events and happenings in Lockport and surrounding areas. To download this free app, visit lockport.org/wotnow.
• 2nd annual Pints and Pork Challenge –
5 to 9 p.m. Sept. 30, St. Joseph’s Parish, 255 W. North St., Manhattan. Craft breweries and barbecue, attendees sample and vote on favorites. Bags, 50/50 raffle, bonfire pits and music by acoustic singer/songwriter Casey Moss. $40 in advance and $45 at door. Benefits St. Joseph Parish. For tickets and information, visit www.PintsandPork.com.
• “A Charlie Brown Christmas” –
7:30 p.m. Dec. 8, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Live onstage. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Belmont Little League Softball Fundraiser – Oct. 15. Manager’s meeting is 9 a.m. First game starts at 10 a.m., Belmont Athletics Club, 651 Highland Pkwy., Joliet. Spectators welcome. Concessions available. To register and for information, contact Shannon Wolfe at 815-999-9653 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• 28th Annual Midwest Book Awards – Independent publishers in the Midwest invited to submit entries. All entries must have a 2017 copyright and an ISBN. Deadline for entries is Dec. 30. For a complete set of rules and entry form, visit www.mipa.org.
• Blood Run 5K/Zombie Walk – Oct. 14. 1K Kids Run is at 8:30 a.m. Main event is at 9 a.m. Starts and ends at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Benefits Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park and Will-Grundy Medical Clinic. Early registration ends Oct. 6. To register, visit bloodrun5k.itsyourrace.com. For information, contact Lynnette Doherty at 815-726-3377 or email@example.com.
• Celebrity Ryder Cup Style Golf Event – Oct. 6, Heritage Bluffs Public Golf Club, Channahon. Based on two teams of 13 foursomes, each led by a celebrity captain and sports great: Eric Soderholm, former White Sox third baseman, and Bill “Soup” Campbell, former Cubs pitcher. Prizes awarded. Event includes lunch, golf and cart, cocktails, dinner and program. Proceeds benefit construction of Arroyo Trails nature park. For information or to register for the event, visit www.peopleforchannahonparks.org or call 815-467-7275.
• Chicago Hauntings Tour – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Oct. 26, leaving from Louis Joliet Mall, 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. 55 and older. To register, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org.
• “Christmas Around the World and Lawry’s – Dec. 18. Leaving from Louis Joliet Mall, 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. 55 and up. For dates, times and to register, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org,
• Crafters & Vendors sought/Grace Bible Church in Minooka Craft & Vendor Show – Event is Nov. 11. $20 per space. For registration and information email firstname.lastname@example.org or the call the church at 815-467-2100.
• Fourth annual Haunted 5K Run and Walk – Oct. 22, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, All ages. Includes a one-mile race for children under 12. To register, visit: http://www.active.com/joliet-il/running/distance-running-races/jjc-haunted-5k-2017. For information, email Rich McCarthy at email@example.com or Kelly Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Home for the Holidays Movie: Dr. Seuss’ “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” – 1 p.m. Dec. 16, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Home for the Holidays: Holiday Luncheon and Organ Concert – 11 a.m. Dec. 6, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Home for the Holidays Movie: “Home Alone” – 3 p.m. Nov. 24, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Home for the Holidays Movie: “The Santa Clause” – 1 p.m. Dec. 2, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• “Illinois Rock & Roll Museum on Route 66” Kickoff Fun-Raiser: “Were on a Mission!” – Event is Oct. 19, The Forge located at 22 W Cass St., Joliet, Illinois. Entertainment by The Blooze Brothers and Strung Out (main stage) and The HEPKATZ (VIP room). $25 (general admission) and $50 (VIP). Purchase at www.RoadtoRock.org, www.theForgeLive.com or by calling 815-927-1540.
• Illinois Youth Firearm Deer Hunt – Oct. 7 to 9, Kankakee River State Park in Will County. Successful hunters must register their harvest by 10 p.m. on the same calendar day the deer is taken by calling the toll-free telephone check-in system at 1-866-ILCHECK. Contact the site for specific information.
• “It’s a Wonderful Life” – 7 p.m., Dec. 9, Rialto Square theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Performed on the Rialto stage in the fashion of old-time radio show. Will be broadcast live on 1340 WJOL-AM. $10. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• “Les Miserables” – Bus departs 5:30 p.m., Oct. 11, from Channahon library to Cadillac Theater, Chicago. Purchase tickets in-person at Three Rivers Library’s Channahon Library, 25207 Channahon Drive, Channahon; or Minooka Branch, 109 N Wabena Ave., Minooka. Waivers due Oct. 4. Ages 5 and up; 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult. $85. For more information, call the Channahon branch at 815-467-6200 or Minooka branch at 815-467-1600, or visit www.trpld.org.
• Lincoln-Way Central 50th Class reunion – Oct. 14 at Harrah’s Joliet. Registration is
5:30 p.m. Cocktail hour from 6 to 7 p.m. Dinner from 7 to 8:30 p.m. $50. Seeking classmates. For classmate information or to make reservations, call Linda Istel Klier at 815-469-6943.
• Lobster Fest – Oct. 7, Illinois State Museum, Lockport. Seatings at 5, 6, 7 and 8 p.m. Each seating limited to 25 seats. $60. Covers on lobster meal, one drink and a donation to the museum. Live Music by Mixed Company. Beer and wine available. For tickets, visit www.mainstreetlockport.org/events.html.
• “Natalie Grant and Danny Gokey’s Celebrate Christmas Tour” – 7 p.m., Dec. 3, Rialto Square theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• New Life for Haiti 12th Annual Gala – 6 to 10 p.m., Oct. 14, Benedictine University, Daniel L. Goodwin Hall of Business, Lisle. Chef-inspired small plates, cocktails, live music, raffles, live auction, short program, desserts and coffee. Music by Zazz, a jazz combo with a Latin groove. $75. New Life for Haiti is a 501(c)3 charity. For tickets, text GALATIX to 51555 or visit www.newlifeforhaiti.org/gala-2017.html or app.mobilecause.com/form/XQPfGA.
• “Newsies” at the Marriott Lincolnshire – Nov. 29. Leaving from Louis Joliet Mall, 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. 55 and up. For dates, times and to register, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org,
• Oktoberfest Dinner and Silent Auction – 4 to 8 p.m. Oct. 11, Harry Andersen VFW, 323 Old Hickory Road, New Lenox. Purchase tickets at New Lenox Area Historical Society, 205 W. Maple (Rt. 30), by calling 815-485-5576 or at the door.
• Olde Fashioned Country Club – 6 p.m., Oct. 13, Joliet Country Club, 1009 Spencer Road, Joliet. Cocktails, dinner and live musical entertainment by Peter Oprisko. $100. Benefits Visitation & Aide Society. To purchase tickets, mail check to P.O. Box 2715, Joliet, Illinois, 60434.
• Plainfield Park District Girls Basketball League – Oct. 10 to Dec. 17, Monday through Saturday, 7th and 8th grade girls. For information, www.plfdparks.org or call 436-8812.
• Plainfield Park District T-Ball classes begin in September – For 3 to 4-year-olds. For information, www.plfdparks.org or call 436-8812.
• “Playing for Miracles” – Nov. 3, The Carlisle, 435 E. Butterfield Road, Lombard. The event, presented by Hollywood Casino Aurora & Joliet, features open bar, gourmet dining stations, charitable gaming and prizes. $125. Benefits Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet. To buy tickets, call 815-724-1140.
• Project Acclaim to Honor Joliet Chamber and Sunny Hill Nursing Home – Event is 5:30 p.m., Nov. 2, Jacob Henry Mansion Estate, Victorian Ballroom, 15 S. Richards St., Joliet. $60. Includes dinner and program. For tickets and information, email email@example.com.
• Saints N Sinners Halloween Gala – 6 p.m. to midnight, Oct. 28, Cantigny Post 367 V.F.W., 826 Horseshoe Drive Joliet. Raffles, 50/50, photo booth, snacks. Costumes encouraged. $20 (advance. Includes a grand prize entry) or $25 at door. Benefits veterans programs. For tickets, call 815-722-5398.
• T-Ball Classes – Begin in September at Plainfield Park District. Time and practice locations vary by section. For information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• The Edward Foundation’s 27th annual gala The Big Gig: Fusion – 6 p.m. Oct. 14, Westin Lombard, 70 Yorktown Center, Lombard. Cocktails silent auction, dinner, dancing, live auction. For tickets and information, visit visit www.eehealth.org/EdwardBigGig.
• 69th Grundy County Corn Festival – Through Oct. 1, downtown Morris and other areas in town. Visit http://cornfestival.org/
• Adventures in Homeschooling: Far Away Places at Your Fingertips – 10:30 a.m. to noon; also 1:30 to 3 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Kindergarten through grade five students and their teachers. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Grundy Bank’s Brown Bag Friday – 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., downtown Morris. For information, visit www.downtownmorris.com.
• Harvest of Empire: A History of Latinxs in the America film/discussion – 1:30 p.m., Joliet Junior College, Room A-1061, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. Documentary of the political and social roots behind the migration from Latin America to the United States. For more information, call 815-280-6709 or visit jjc.edu/info/omsa.
• BBQ Beer & Blues Festival – 2 to 4 p.m., The Cottages of New Lenox, 1023 S. Cedar Road, New Lenox. Music by he Smiley Tillmon Band. Free admission. For more information, call 815-463-8880 or visit cottagesofnewlenox.com.
• Teen Movie Fridays – 3 to 5 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Grades 6 to 12. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Wine and Soul – 6 to 10 p.m., Joliet Area Historical Museum 204 N Ottawa St., Joliet. Wine paired with cheese on the rooftop. Music by Nova Soul. Five tastings. Option to purchase favorite wine at bar. 50/50. Raffles. $25. ($20 for museum members). For tickets and information, visit jolietmuseum.org or call 815-723-5201.
• “Invitation to Murder” – 8 p.m.; also Sept. 30; and 2 p.m., Oct. 1, Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. $13 (online) and $15 (at door). To reserve, visit www.lat41.org. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Open Mic night – 9 to 11 p.m.; also Oct. 6, Tully’s Monster Pub and Grill, 104 Liberty St., Morris. Call 815-941-5098.
• First Responders Weekend – Also Oct. 1, Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm is located at 17250 S. Weber Road, Lockport. For information, visit www.OurPumpkinFarm.com.
• Plainfield Fire Protection District Fire Prevention Week Open House – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Fire Station 2, 23806 W. 135th Street, Plainfield. Displays, demonstrations, fire station tours, museum tours, raffles, free hot dog lunch. For more information, call 815-436-5335.
• Family Movie – 1:30 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. “Smurfs: The Lost Village.” Runtime: 89 minutes. Drop-in. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Teen Art Scene: School Days – 2 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Presenter: Diane McAroy of Social Artworking. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Tips to Grow Your YouTube Channel – 2 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Oktoberfest of St. Edward’s and Christ Episcopal Church – 4 to 8 p.m., 2400 (formerly10422, check out both on your GPS) Grove Road, one quarter mile north of Caton Farm Road, Joliet. Brats, homemade sauerkraut, German potato salad, hot dogs, soft drinks, s’mores at the fire pit. Silent auction, children’s activities. Free admission. For more information, call 815-725-6800.
• 2nd annual Pints and Pork Challenge – 5 to 9 p.m., St. Joseph’s Parish, 255 W. North St., Manhattan. Craft breweries and barbecue. Attendees sample and vote on favorites. Bags, 50/50 raffle, bonfire pits and music by acoustic singer/songwriter Casey Moss. $40 in advance and $45 at the door. Benefits St. Joseph Parish. For tickets and information, visit www.PintsandPork.com.
• Music Collage Concert – 7:30 p.m., University of St. Francis, Moser Performing Arts Center, 500 Wilcox St., Joliet. Also silent auction to benefit department. Admission is $10 (adults) and $5 (age 65 and up and non-USF students). USF students and staff are free. Buy tickets at stfrancis.edu/music-at-moser.
• lliinois Valley Sportscard, Coin, and Comic Show – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.,1504 Poplar St., Ottawa. Free admission.
• Illinois Licensed Beverage Association “Cash Bash” Charity Event – Noon to 6 p.m. Oct. 1, Rustic Inn, 108 N. Water St., Wilmington. Must be 21 to attend. Grand prize is $5,000. Donation $100. Admits two a ticket. Benefits Abraham Lincoln National Honor Guard, Old Timers Baseball, Joliet hospice, Catholic Charities, Wags to Wishes Animal Rescue. For information, call 815-476-7290.
• “These Shining Lives” auditions – 7 p.m.; also Oct. 3, St. Joseph Academy, 28 W. Crowley Ave., Joliet. The play tells of the danger encountered by women in the 1920s whose job was painting the hour markings onto watch dials using a radium compound which glows in the dark at a watch factory in Ottawa. Requires two men and four women. Bring a brief prepared monologue and be ready to do cold readings from the play. For more information, call Jan Novotny, director, at 815-723-4567.
• Three Rivers Gardening Angels – 7 p.m., Channahon United Methodist Church, 24751 W. Eames St., Channahon. A guest speaker from the Audubon Society will discuss “Backyard Birds.” Guests and new members welcome. Refreshments served.
• Dia de La Raza: A Celebration and Recognition of the Indigenous Roots of the Americas – Noon, Joliet Junior College, Center Bridge, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. Danzas Ceremoniales de México will perform indigenous dances, songs and poetry. For more information, call 815-280-6709 or visit jjc.edu/info/omsa.
• “Hooks, Needles and More” – 6:30 to 8 p.m., Lockport Branch Library, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. Call 815-552-4230 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Vocalist Kym Frankovelgia – 6:30 p.m., The Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, piano lounge, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Music of the 1920s to 1950s. Free and open to the public. Visit www.timbersofshorewood.com or call 815-609-0669.
• Three Rivers Book Club – 7 p.m., Arrowhead Community Center
Channahon. For information, call 815-467-6200.
• Bike and Brake for History registration deadline – Event is 9 to 11 a.m. Oct. 7, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s McKinley Woods – Frederick’s Grove, Channahon. Bike seven miles round-trip on the I&M Canal Trail to learn how the preserve’s past connects to the Civilian Conservation Corps and a prisoner of war camp. Bring own bike and helmet. Free. 12 and up. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or 815-886-1467
• Natural History Hike registration deadline – Event 1 to 3 p.m., Oct. 7, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Plum Creek Nature Center, 27064 S. Dutton Road, Beecher. Ray Wiggers, a geologist, author, naturalist and educator, will present a lecture and lead a hike of approximately 2 miles. Free. 18 and up. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or 708-946-2216.
• Fall Pumpkin Paint & Sip – 6 to 9 p.m., Channahon Lanes, 25306 W Eames St., Channahon. Paint on foam pumpkins or bring a real one. Tickets include two foam pumpkins and art supplies. $45. For information, call 630-448-2278.
• Neil Simons’ “Rumors” – 7:30 p.m.; also Oct. 6 and Oct. 7; and 2 p.m. Oct. 8, Joliet Junior College, Fine Arts Theatre, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. $8 (general), $5 (seniors) and $3 (students). Purchase at 815-280-2200. For more information, visit www.jjc.edu/info/fine-arts or call 815-280-2223.
• Film Discussion – 1:30 p.m., Joliet Junior College, A-1061, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. In 2011, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas outed himself as an undocumented immigrant in an essay published in New York Times Magazine. This film chronicles his journey. For more information, call 815-280-6709 or visit jjc.edu/info/omsa.
• Hayride of Horror – 7 to 10 p.m.; also Oct. 7, Oct. 13, Oct. 14, Oct. 20, Oct. 21, Oct. 26 and Oct. 27, Dellwood Park, State Street and Woods Drive, Lockport. For information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Third Annual Kindness Gala – 7 to 10 p.m., Clarion Hotel, Joliet. $5. Benefits Camp Out From Cancer. For tickets and information, visit KindnessGala.com.