• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at 1-866-800-1409.
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or 800-252-8966.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu Shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 West Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Recycle Your Bicycle – 6 a.m. to
5 p.m., Oct. 3 to Oct. 15, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Monee Reservoir, 27341 Ridgeland Ave., Monee. Monee Bikes to be given to a local recycling center that refurbishes them for youth, individuals with disabilities and families in developing countries. Bikes can be in any condition – brand-new or beyond repair. Registration is not required. For informationm, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 6th annual Heart Haven Hustle –
6:30 to 9 a.m. Oct. 15, starts on Brooks Lane by Bar Louie, Bolingbrook. Organizer Heart Haven OutReach is a local organization providing mentoring services, support groups, recreational activities and more for high school teens in the greater Bolingbrook and Romeoville areas who are experiencing challenging times. For registration and information, visit shawurl.com/34t2.
• 9th annual Angels Against Abuse 5K Walk/Run – 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 28, Towne Center Park, 1 Towne Center Blvd., Shorewood. All proceeds benefit local families and children affected by domestic violence. For registration and information, visit www.gacsprograms.org/dvam.
• 13th annual A Walk to Remember – Oct. 14. Check-in and registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. A memorial service featuring music, poetry and a reading of baby names will be held at 9:30 a.m., followed by a 1-mile walk at 10:15 a.m., Riverwalk Grand Pavilion, 500 Jackson Ave., Naperville. To register, visit eehealth.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/ShareWalk2017.
• Angel Garden Luminary Ceremony –
6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 14, Edward Hospital, Hope Angel Garden, 801 S. Washington St., Naperville. Adults only. To RSVP, call 630-527-3263. For information, visit www.eehealth.org/share-walk.
• Blood Run 5K/Zombie Walk – Oct. 14. 1K Kids Run is at 8:30 a.m. Main event is at 9 a.m. Starts and ends at Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Benefits Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. Early registration ends Oct. 6. To register, visit bloodrun5k.itsyourrace.com. For information, contact Lynnette Doherty at 815-726-3377 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Fitness for the Active Adult – Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 31 to Dec. 2. From 9 to 9:45 a.m. and 10 to 10:45 a.m., Plainfield Township Community Center, Plainfield. Ages 55 and older. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815- 436-8812.
• Fourth annual Haunted 5K Run and Walk – Oct. 22, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, All ages. Includes a 1-mile race for children younger than 12. Register at www.active.com/joliet-il/running/distance-running-races/jjc-haunted-5k-2017. For information, email Rich McCarthy at email@example.com or Kelly Larson at
• Morris Hospital “Rhythm of Our Youth” cardiac screening – Oct. 3 and Oct. 4 at Yorkville High School; Oct. 11 at Yorkville High School Academy; Oct. 31 at Reed-Custer High School; and Nov. 14 at Wilmington High School. Volunteers older than 18 needed. Call 815-705-7022. For information or an electronic student consent form, visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• Old Plank Trail 5K Run/Walk – 8 to 11 a.m. Oct. 7, Kansas and White streets, Frankfort. Rain or shine. Race begins promptly at 9:30 a.m. For information and registration visit www.villageoffrankfort.com/calendar
• Pastor Appreciation AHA Walk/Run/Bike – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 7, Family Bible Church, 92 Barney Drive, Joliet. Benefits American Heart Association in Pastor Sam Murphy’s name. For information, visit www.fbcjoliet.org/race-registration.html.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and older. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and older. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Total Body Conditioning – Classes run from 6 to 6:55 p.m. Monday. Oct. 30 to Dec. 11. Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Thursday classes run from Oct. 26 to Dec. 14, Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Oct. 3, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Oct. 3, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Oct. 3, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Baby Care Basics – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Morris Hospital Boardroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. $15 a couple. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Family and Friends of Breast Cancer Survivors – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants should call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• “I Can Cope” Breast Cancer Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Free. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.IMatter.silvercross.org.
• Robotic Total Knee Replacement – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Robert Daley, orthopedic surgeon with The Midwest Institute for Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital. Free. Register to attend at www.midwestroboticsurgery.org
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Oct. 3, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Wellness Walking Wednesdays – 5 to 6 p.m., Hickory Creek Preserve, LaPorte Road Access, Mokena; Rock Run Preserve, Black Road Access, Joliet; Whalon Lake, Royce Road, Naperville. Free. All ages. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Conquer Your Core – 7:15 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Valley View School District 365U School Safety Conference – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive, Bolingbrook. Featured speakers Michele Gay, who co-founded the “Safe and Sound” initiative in honor of her daughter, Josephine, and in memory of those lost on Dec. 14, 2012, at Sandy Hook School, and Stephen Sroka, who went from living in the “projects” to being a professor. $99. Lunch included. Register at www.vvsd.org/modernview.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• “A Matter of Balance: Managing Concerns About Falls” – 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursdays, through Nov. 16, Lincoln Way Christian Church, 690 E. Illinois Highway, New Lenox. Free for New Lenox residents. For registration and information, contact Daniel Martin at 815-462-6493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Grandparent Support Group – 6:30 to 8 p.m., Lincolnway Church, 690 E. Illinois Highway, New Lenox. For grandparents or other relatives over age 55 raising a child. Social skills groups also are provided for children ages 3 to 12, and childcare is available with a reservation. Light dinner at 6 p.m. For information, email email@example.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Yoga, Wine and Cheese Night – 7 to 9 p.m., Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. Age 21 and up. For information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Hines Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Coal City American Legion, 1752 E Division St., Coal City. For information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission, at 815-941-3152.
• Happy Back Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. This class helps alleviate back pain and other spinal issues. Registration required. To register, call 708-479-9663. For information, contact Tracy Domzalski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-479-9663.
• Community Blood Drive – 7:30 to noon, St. Ann Catholic Church, 24500 S Navajo Drive, Channahon. Walk-ins welcome. For appointments, visit Heartlandbc.org. For information, email KnightsBloodDrive@gmail.com.
• Morris Hospital & Healthcare Centers CornFest 5K Fun Run – White Oak Elementary School, 2001 Dupont Ave., Morris. Part of the Grundy County Corn Festival. The race begins at 9 a.m., preceded by a Tot Trot for children 8 a.m. and younger at 8:30 a.m. Registration through Sept. 26 at raceroster.com/13128. For information or forms, call 815-705-7364.
• One-Day Prepared Childbirth Class – 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $80 per couple. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries.org.
• Heartland Blood Drive – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; also 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 1, Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm,17250 S. Weber Road, Lockport. Donors will receive free admission to the Farm. For more information, visit www.OurPumpkinFarm.com.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bridges to a New Day fundraiser – 3 to 7 p.m., Mongo McMichael’s,1101 N. Independence Blvd., Romeoville. 15 percent of select menu items benefits counseling program. For more information, visit www.bridgestoanewday.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Joliet) – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. Free. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.
• Hines Veterans Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Morris American Legion, 212 West Washington St., Morris. For information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission, at 815-941-3152.
• Introduction to Breastfeeding – 9 to 10 a.m., Morris Hospital, Family Birthing suites classroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. Taught by an obstetrical nurse/certified lactation consultant. Nursing mothers may bring infants. Free. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Lung Cancer Networking Group – 1 to 2 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Epilepsy Support Group – 6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High St., Morris. Contact Erika Fleck at 815-414-8655 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.epilepsyheartland.org.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Colorectal Cancer Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information and to register,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Women and Heart Disease – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Deirdra Greathouse-Williams, family practice physician. Free. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.