• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at 866-800-1409.
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or 800-252-8966.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu Shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 West Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Free Health Insurance Counseling –
A volunteer counselor from the Senior Health Insurance Program is available at Morris Hospital by appointment. Counselors also are available by appointment in Coal City and Seneca. Open enrollment is through Dec. 7. Call 815-705-1063. If younger than age 65 and not currently on Medicare, call 1-866-311-1119 to enroll in the Illinois Marketplace offerings or to obtain other assistance, such as locating a local counselor.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call 815-300-6288.
• Recycle Your Bicycle – 6 a.m. to 5 p.m., Oct. 3 to Oct. 15, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Monee Reservoir, 27341 Ridgeland Ave., Monee. Monee Bikes to be given to a local recycling center that refurbishes them for youth, individuals with disabilities and families in developing countries. Bikes can be in any condition – brand-new or beyond repair. Registration is not required. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 6th annual Heart Haven Hustle –
6:30 to 9 a.m. Oct. 15, starts on Brooks Lane by Bar Louie, Bolingbrook. Organizer Heart Haven OutReach is a local organization providing mentoring services, support groups, recreational activities and more for high school teens in the greater Bolingbrook and Romeoville areas who are experiencing challenging times. For registration and information, visit shawurl.com/34t2.
• 9th annual Angels Against Abuse 5K Walk/Run – 8 a.m. to noon Oct. 28, Towne Center Park, 1 Towne Center Blvd., Shorewood. All proceeds benefit local families and children affected by domestic violence. For registration and information, visit www.gacsprograms.org/dvam.
• 13th annual A Walk to Remember – Oct. 14. Check-in and registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. A memorial service featuring music, poetry and a reading of baby names will be held at 9:30 a.m., followed by a 1-mile walk at 10:15 a.m., Riverwalk Grand Pavilion, 500 Jackson Ave., Naperville. To register, visit eehealth.ejoinme.org/MyEvents/ShareWalk2017.
• 2017 Lights Of Love – Nov. 22, Rialto Square Theater, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Check-in is at 5 p.m. Ceremony is from
6 to 7:30 p.m. Registration deadline is Nov. 20. $20 per ornament. To register or for information, visit www.joliethospice.org/events.html.
• Angel Garden Luminary Ceremony –
6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 14, Edward Hospital, Hope Angel Garden, 801 S. Washington St., Naperville. Adults only. To RSVP, call 630-527-3263. For information, visit www.eehealth.org/share-walk.
• Ava Mae Triana Cancer Benefit –
3 to 8 p.m., The Blue Taco, 79 N. Chicago St., Joliet. $25 a person. Includes steak dinner and raffle. Benefits family of 2-year-old girl with stage 4 neuroblastoma. For tickets, visit eventbrite: Ava Mae Triana Cancer Benefit.
• Fitness for the Active Adult – Tuesdays and Thursdays Oct. 31 to Dec. 2. From 9 to 9:45 a.m. and 10 to 10:45 a.m., Plainfield Township Community Center, Plainfield. Ages 55 and older. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Fourth annual Haunted 5K Run and Walk – Oct. 22, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, All ages. Includes a 1-mile race for children younger than 12. Register at www.active.com/joliet-il/running/distance-running-races/jjc-haunted-5k-2017. For information, email Rich McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kelly Larson at email@example.com.
• Free symposium for physicians, nurses & Allied health professionals – 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 28, Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Topic: Diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases. Led by Dr. Kirkeith Lertsburapa, cardiologist with Heartland Cardiovascular Center- DuPage Medical Group. RSVP by Oct. 23 at www.silvercross.org.
• Morris Hospital “Rhythm of Our Youth” cardiac screening – Oct. 11 at Yorkville High School Academy; Oct. 31 at Reed-Custer High School; and Nov. 14 at Wilmington High School. Volunteers older than 18 needed. Call 815-705-7022. For information or an electronic consent form, visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and older. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and older. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Total Body Conditioning – Classes run from 6 to 6:55 p.m. Oct. 30 to Dec. 11. Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Thursday classes run from Oct. 26 to Dec. 14, Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. For registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Oct. 10, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Oct. 10, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Oct. 10, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda 630-877-7943.
• Women and Heart Disease – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Deirdra Greathouse-Williams, family practice physician. Free. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Oct. 10, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Basics of Breastfeeding Class – 6:30 to 9 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $15 a person. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Heart Failure Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 W. High Street, Morris. Facilitator: Pat Cravens, registered nurse and cardiovascular clinical educator. For information, call 815-705-7832.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Young Adults Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Ages 18 to 39. For information and to register, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Raising Healthy Teens in a Digital Age: Sex Ed. – 6:30 to 7:45 p.m., Brooks Middle School Auditorium, Bolingbrook. For more information, call Kathleen Harkins at the Will County Health Department at 815-727-5991.
• Type 2 Diabetes Support Group – 6:30 to 8 p.m., Edward Plainfield Outpatient Center, 24600 127th St., Plainfield. Guest speakers and topics focusing on diabetes management. For more information and to RSVP, call 815-731-3147 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Heartsaver AED CPR – 8 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High St., Morris. Adult, child and infant CPR, use of an automated external defibrillator (AED), first aid for choking. $60. Add first aid training for $60. Register atwww.morrishospital.org/eventsor call 815-705-7357.
• Old Plank Trail 5K Run/Walk – 8 to 11 a.m. Oct. 7, Kansas and White streets, Frankfort. Rain or shine. Race begins promptly at 9:30 a.m. For information and registration visit www.villageoffrankfort.com/calendar.
• 2-Part Weekend Prepared Childbirth Class – 8:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Oct. 14, to 9 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $80 per couple. Register atwww.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries.org.
• Gluten Free Support Group – 10 a.m. to noon, Edward Plainfield Outpatient Center,
24160 127th St. Plainfield. Monthly meetings for those living with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Free. For information, visit glutenfreewikaduke.blogspot.com.
• Pastor Appreciation AHA Walk/Run/Bike – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 7, Family Bible Church, 92 Barney Drive, Joliet. Benefits American Heart Association in Pastor Sam Murphy’s name. For information, visit www.fbcjoliet.org/race-registration.html.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Learn to Crochet – 11 a.m. to noon, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Free Prostate Screening – 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., Advanced Urology Associates, 1401 Lakewood Drive, Unit 3, Morris. Includes a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test and a digital rectal exam performed by Dr. Gregory Lewis, urologist. Limited appointments available. Advance registration is required by calling Morris Hospital at 815-416-6089.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Walgreens Flu Clinic – 4 to 7 p.m., Lockport Branch Library, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. Injections administered by Walgreens pharmacist. Bring your insurance card. Vouchers for free flu shots will be available for those with no insurance. Pneumonia shots also available. Walk-ins only; no appointments. For information, visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org or call 815-552-4260.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Medicare Benefits for Diabetes – 6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 High St., Morris. Registration not required. For information, call 815-705-7367.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.