JOLIET – The city announced Joliet trick-or-treat hours for Halloween along with safety tips.
Trick-or-treat hours will be 4 to 7 p.m. on Halloween.
Joliet advises the following for Halloween night:
• Put porch lights on if you want to be visited by trick-or-treaters;
• Parents should accompany all young children during trick-or-treating;
• Trick-or-treaters should visit only houses and apartments of people they know;
• Children should take treats home for parents to inspect before they are eaten;
• Children should walk, not run, between houses and use sidewalks when available;
• Parents should remind children to use caution when crossing streets and only cross at intersections when traffic is clear;
• Motorists should be careful and alert during trick-or-treat hours;
• Parents should buy or make costumes that are light and bright enough to be clearly visible to motorists.
The city also advises using battery-operated lights, not candles, to illuminate carved pumpkins. Jack-o’-lanterns placed by front doors or in windows can come into contact with flammable materials or get knocked over, the city said in a news release.