• 28th annual Midwest Book Awards – Independent publishers in the Midwest invited to submit entries. All entries must have a 2017 copyright and an ISBN. Deadline for entries is Dec. 30. For a complete set of rules and entry form, visit www.mipa.org.
• Adventures in Exploring – For boys ages 4 to 12. Information is available at 900 W. Romeo Road, Romeoville, or by calling 815-886-6222.
• Archery deer and fall turkey permits – Illinois Archery Deer and Archery Fall Turkey seasons are open through Jan. 14. Find a vendor at www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/LicensePermitVendors.aspx.
• Archery, firearm, muzzleloader and late-winter/CWD seasons CWD sampling – Deer hunters statewide are encouraged to allow samples to be taken for chronic wasting disease (CWD), sampling from adult deer they harvest. Check the IDNR website for locations that are serving as CWD sampling stations, taking samples from entire deer or deer heads through the end of the season (Jan. 14). Visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/programs/CWD/Documents/CWDSamplingLocations.pdf.
• Challenge Fitness court rentals –
2021 S. Lawrence Ave., Lockport. Tennis and racquetball/wallyball courts when Lockport Township Park District programs are not running. For information, call 815-838-3621, ext. 0, or visit www.lockportpark.org.
• Emerging Playwrights Festival for Teens – Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park and Theatre is hosting. For students in eighth through 12th grade. Free. Fill out registration form by Nov. 21 and attach short original script (10 to 15 pages long) for review. Selected plays will be presented on Jan. 20. For information, call 815-724-3761 or visit
• Experience History app – Information and photos about Illinois historic sites. Ability to make digital donations. Search “historic sites of Illinois” with iTunes or “Illinois Historic Preservation Agency” in Google Play.
• Firearm deer permits – A few remaining. For vendors, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/LPR/Pages/LicensePermitVendors.aspx.
• Forest Preserve District’s picnic shelter availability now online – Reservations must be made in person. To check availability, visit reconnectwithnature.org. For information, call 815-727-8700.
• Grinchmas on the Green Trees – Trees now are on sale for the Village Green Park tree-lighting ceremony. For information on buying a tree, call 815-436-8812.
• Holiday Tree & Wreath Sale – Through Nov. 24. 24-inch Fraser fir wreaths for $30, 6- to 8-foot Fraser fir trees for $50 and 8- to 10-foot Fraser fir trees for $65. Benefits Cancer Support Center. Order at give.classy.org/TreeSale17. For information, email Brandon Newberry at email@example.com or call 708-798-9171.
• Hunter and boating safety education courses – For dates and times, visit
• Hunting regulations – For Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations 2017-18, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/HuntTrapDigest.pdf. For Illinois Digest of Waterfowl Hunting Regulations 2017-18, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/DigestWaterfowlHuntingRegulations.pdf.
• IDNR accepting Illinois fishing tournament applications – For information, visit www.ifishillinois.org/tournament/index.php.
• IDNR announces 2017-18 waterfowl hunting season dates – For information, visit shawurl.com/34lx.
• Illinois Schoolyard Habitat Action Grants – Accepted by the IDNR Division of Education through Nov. 30 for the Illinois Schoolyard Habitat Action Grant program. Applicants can select to develop a pollinator garden or a wildlife habitat of their choice. For information, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/education/Pages/GrantsSHAG.aspx.
• Learn to Hunt – Free education and training workshops for adults on how to hunt deer, turkey, squirrels, pheasants, ducks, geese and other game. Waterfowl and terrestrial game workshops are open to individuals who have not previously hunted those species. Advanced registration required to participate in workshops. No FOID card or prior shooting or hunting experience is needed to participate. Visit publish.illinois.edu/hunttrapillinois/upcoming-workshops/.
• Lewis University Art and Design Faculty Exhibit Work – Through Nov. 30, Lewis University, Brent and Jean Wadsworth Family Gallery, Oremus Fine Arts Center, Romeoville. Art exhibit featuring its faculty members, Kristin Callahan, Leslie Colonna and Mark Swain as well as retired professor Paul Mitchell. Reception is from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 9. For information, visit www.lewisu.edu.
• Lockport Township Park District classes and trips – Classes for children, adults and seniors include swimming, dance and child development. Trip opportunities. Visit www.lockportpark.org or call
815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Mastodons of Minooka – Three Rivers Public Library District, Minooka branch,
109 N. Wabena Ave., Minooka. To schedule a viewing, call Michele Houchens at
815-467-1600, ext. 207.
• Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie mobile app – Download from the app store or Google Play. A web app can be accessed on demand at www.midewin.oncell.com.
• Mushroom collecting – No license is required in Illinois, but collectors must have landowner permission and, on public sites, must adhere to collecting regulations and hours. Call ahead for any site-specific regulations regarding mushroom collecting.
• Online free site hunting permits – Free Site Hunting Permits (windshield cards) to hunt upland, forest game and waterfowl at IDNR sites are available at www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/PublicHuntingAreas.aspx.
• “Picture This, Romeoville” – Monthly photo contest has started. For information, visit www.romeoville.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/444.
• Preserve the Moment Photo Contest – Through Dec. 31. Amateur photographers ages 18 and older. A list of contest rules and instructions on how to submit photos is available on the Forest Preserve District of Will County’s website, reconnectwithnature.org.
• Public Hunting Areas Report – Visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Documents/IllinoisPublicHuntingAreasReport.2016.2017.pdf.
• Two-Day Controlled Pheasant and Quail Hunt – Nov. 20 to Nov. 21. Hunting will take place on 25 fields at Wayne Fitzgerrell SRA, one of the state’s best venues for upland game and other hunting opportunities. $275 for individual hunters or $1,000 for a team of four, which includes two hunts, two boxes of steel shot shells for each hunter, plus a guide and dog, if requested. Benefits Illinois Conservation Foundation youth hunts and youth conservation education programs. To register, visit www.ilcf.org or call
• Spring turkey applications – Resident hunters may now apply for the first lottery for 2018 Illinois Spring Wild Turkey Season permits online. Application deadline for first lottery for 2017 resident spring turkey permits is Dec. 1. For information, visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/TurkeyHunting.aspx.
• Storytime – Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Storytime/Toddler Time – White Oak Library District, Crest Hill branch, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, contact Amy Byrne at 815-552-4278 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit
• Storytime – White Oak Library District, Lockport branch, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. For information, visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org or call 815-552-4265.
• UNLOCK: Merging Art & Industry in Lockport – National Endowment for the Arts grant-funded arts program. Deadline is
Nov. 20. For information, visit www.gaylordbuilding.org/unlock.
• Upland hunting – 2017-18 pheasant, quail and rabbit seasons in Illinois. Visit www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/uplandgame/Page/PheasantQuailAndRabbitAnnualStatusReports.aspx.
• WLRA Radio “Christmas Memories” – 24 hours a day, seven days a week, Thanksgiving Day through Jan. 1. Tune in via radio at 88.1 FM, online at www.lewisu.edu/wlra, the apps iTunes and Google Play and iHeartRadio.
• WotNow – The city of Lockport has contracted with WotNow, a social events app, to promote local events and send reminders of events and happenings in Lockport and surrounding areas. To download this free app, visit lockport.org/wotnow.
• “A Charlie Brown Christmas” –
7:30 p.m. Dec. 8, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Live onstage. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or
800-982-2787, or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Annual Casino Night Fundraiser –
7 p.m. Dec. 1, Warehouse 109, 14903 S. Center St., Plainfield. $75. Includes buffet dinner, choice of whiskey tasting or one complimentary cocktail plus $75 in gaming chips and late-night pizza. Benefits redevelopment and revitalization of the Plainfield Riverfront. For tickets and information, visit www.plainfieldriverfront.org or call Executive Director Rob Epley at 815-342-4378.
• “Ask Me To The Prom” Runway Show – 1 p.m. Nov. 19, 610 Moen Ave., Rockdale. Students from Will County high schools will model prom fashion from Ask Dress Boutique in support of Will County Habitat for Humanity’s 2018 Women Build. Purchase tickets at ASK Dress Boutique, 707 W. Jefferson St., Shorewood or ReStore, 1395 N.Larkin Ave., Joliet. For information, visit www.chicagolandhabitat.org.
• Childerguild 89th annual Ball – 6 p.m. Nov. 18, Odyssey Country Club, Tinley Park. Theme: “Venetian Masquerade.” Dinner, dancing, Don Cagen Orchestra, presentation of Silver Cross Sehring Medal of Excellence for Healthcare to Dr. Dave Mikolajczak and the Silver Cross Sangmeister Medal of Excellence for Community Service to Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow. Black tie optional. $250. Benefits women’s and children’s programs and services at Silver Cross Hospital. For reservations, call 815-300-7105.
• Christmas Around the World and Lawry’s – Dec. 18. Leaving from Louis Joliet Mall, 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. Age 55 and older. For dates, times and to register, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org.
• Holiday Hustle 5K Run/Walk – 1 to 3 p.m., Nov. 26, Babe’s Tap, 755 S. Broadway St., Coal City. Benefits Coal City Backpack Program. To register, visit register.chronotrack.com/r/34819. For more information, contact Pam at 815-518-2300.
• Home for the Holidays Movie: Dr. Seuss’ “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” – 1 p.m. Dec. 16, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or
• Home for the Holidays: Holiday Luncheon and Organ Concert – 11 a.m. Dec. 6, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Home for the Holidays Movie: “Home Alone” – 3 p.m. Nov. 24, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or
• Home for the Holidays Movie: “The Santa Clause” – 1 p.m. Dec. 2, Rialto Square Theater, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Joliet’s Gallery Seven: Thanks for the Memories Blowout Sale – Through Nov. 30, Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. For information, visit www.galleryseven.net or 815-483-4310.
• “It’s a Wonderful Life” – 7 p.m. Dec. 9, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Performed on the Rialto stage in the fashion of old-time radio show. Will be broadcast live on 1340 WJOL-AM. $10. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• Ladies Tea Fundraiser – 5:30 p.m. Dec. 4, Jacob Henry Mansion Estates, Victorian Ballroom, Joliet. RSVP by Nov. 24. Benefits Morning Star Mission Ministries Mary L. Weitendorf Women & Family Center. For tickets and information, call Eloise at 815-722-5780.
• “Natalie Grant and Danny Gokey’s Celebrate Christmas Tour” – 7 p.m. Dec. 3, Rialto Square Theatre, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Buy tickets by calling 815-726-6600 or 800-982-2787, or visiting www.ticketmaster.com or www.rialtosquare.com.
• “Newsies” at the Marriott Lincolnshire – Nov. 29. Leaving from Louis Joliet Mall, 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. Age 55 and older. For dates, times and to register, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org.
• Tea With Mamie Eisenhower – 1 p.m., Dec. 2, Joliet Area Historical Museum
204 Ottawa St., Joliet. Visit with Mamie Eisenhower, portrayed by Ellie Carlson in a dinner theater setting. Finger sandwiches and tea cake desserts. $25 (museum members) and $30 (general public). For tickets and information, call 815-723-5201 or visit www.jolietmuseum.org.
• “The Walnut Room Experience” – 4 p.m. Nov. 18, noon, Nov. 19 and 4 p.m. Nov. 19, The Jacob Henry Mansion Estate, Victorian Ballroom, 15 S. Richards St., Joliet. Dine under a magnificent Christmas tree, listen to holiday music, makes wishes with Christmas fairies, visit with Santa. $40 (adults) and $20 (children). Benefits Easterseals Joliet Region. Reserve by Nov. 10. Call 815-730-2052 ext. 2 or visit joliet.easterseals.com.
• Turkey Troy 5K Plus – Nov. 18. Registration is at 8 a.m. Start time is at 9 a.m., at the Joliet Autobahn, 3795 Centerpoint Way, Joliet. Five-member teams welcome. Trophies and medals. Benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. To register and for information, call 815-723-2227 or visit www.bbbswillgrundy.org.
• Three French Hens Holiday Market - 4 to 10 p.m.; also 9 to 4 p.m., Nov. 11, Grundy County Fairgrounds.For information, call 815-513-5600 or visit 3 French Hens French Country Market on Facebook.
• Open Mic night – 9 to 11 p.m.; also Nov. 17, Tully’s Monster Pub and Grill, 104 Liberty St., Morris. Call 815-941-5098.
• 24th Annual Holiday Craft & Vendor Show – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 140 Oak St., Frankfort. Free admission, For information call the Frankfort Park District at 815-469-9400 or visit www.frankfortparks.org.
• Grace Bible Church/ Minooka’s Craft & Vendor Show – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 748 Jones Road, Minooka. Over 50 crafters/vendors, door prizes, free admission. For information, email email@example.com or call the church at 815-467-2100.
• Stockings for Our Troops – 9 a.m. to noon, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Donations accepted at the administration center at Main Park, 10925 La Porte Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• 7th Annual Troy Choir Vendor Fair – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Troy WBO School, 5820 W. Theodore St., Plainfield. Over 50 crafters/vendors. concessions, cake walk. Proceeds benefit the Troy WBO and TMS Choirs. $1 (adults). Students free. For information, contact Kelsey Hagan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-577-6759.
• Fall Festival & Beef Dinner – 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Immanuel Evangelical. Lutheran Church of Mokena, Heritage Hall, 10731 W. LaPorte Road, Mokena. Free admission to craft show. Needle crafts, gift items, pet corner, baked goods and holiday decorations. Light luncheon served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Beef dinner will be served from 4 to 6:30 p.m. $12 (adults) and $4 (ages 6 to 12); free for ages 5 and under. Carryouts. Call the church at 708-479-5600.
• Will Grundy Counties Genealogical Society IL – 10 a.m., Coal City Public Library, 85 N. Garfield St., Coal City. Speaker: Steve Szabados: author, lecturer, newspaper columnist, ethnic researcher, and professional genealogist. Topic: “Beyond the Basics – How to Solve your Brick Walls.” For information, contact Dana Abraham at 815- 634-4552 ext. 113 or email@example.com or visit www.wggs.org.
• Annual Christmas Market – Noon to 4 p.m., Lockport United Methodist Church, 10th and Washington Streets, Lockport. Bake sale, raffles, vendors, holiday gift sales table. For information, call Joyce Volling at 815 838-2251.
• “Thanks for the Memories” sale – Noon to 6 p.m., Gallery Seven, 116 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Up to 50 percent of artwork. For information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-483-4310.
• United In Excellence “An Evening of Excellence” – Reception is at 6:30 p.m. Dinner and program is at 7 p.m. Nov. 11, Joliet Central High School, 201 W. Jefferson St., Joliet. $30 through Oct. 31. After that, $40. Buy at eventbrite.com.
• “These Shining Lives” – 7:30 p.m., Joliet Area Historical Museum, 204 N Ottawa St., Joliet. Based on the true story of four women who worked in a watch factory in Ottawa, Illinois, in the 1920’s. Tells of the diseases these women contacted from painting the hour markings onto watch dials using a radium compound which glows in the dark and the company’s lack of concern. For more information, call Jan Novotny at St. Joseph Academy, 815-723-4567.
• Cathedral Music Series – 3 p.m., Cathedral of St. Raymond, 604 N. Raynor Ave., Joliet. Cathedral choir along with the Saint Xavier University Chicago Chorale and Chamber Singers and the Ecclesiastical Choral Society of Joliet will present a collaborative choral concert, headlined by Louis Vierne’s 19th century French Romantic masterpiece Messe Solennelle. For information, contact the music office at 815-722-6653, ext. 222, or email@example.com, or visit www.straymond.net.
• “Free Willy 2” – 5:30 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Sew Up a Holiday Towel – 6 to 7:30 p.m.; also Nov. 20, Joliet Public Library, 150 N Ottawa St., Joliet. Grades three to seven with adult. To register, call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Little Girl Hair Flair – 6 to 8:30 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. All ages with adult. Call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Lap Sit/Story Time– 9:30 a.m.; also Nov. 15, Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Wiggle Worm – 10 a.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Adult Sweet Decorating Series: “Marbled Icing” – 6 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Intro to Photoshop – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Adults. To register. call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Pinecone Turkey Decoration – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Kathleen Obirek, floral designer and educator. Bring a pair of sharp scissors. Limited to 20 patrons. To register, call 708-479-9663 or visit www.mokenalibrary.org.
• National Novel Writing Month’s (NaNoWriMo) “Come Write In” event – 7 to 10 p.m., Joliet Junior College library (second floor of A-Building), 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. For information, visit nanowrimo.org/come-write-in, call 815-280-2344 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Reading Under the Stars: Family Reading Night – 7 to 8 p.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: State Rep. Margo McDermott. Stories and s’mores snack around a campfire. Children encouraged to wear pajamas and bring their sleeping bags. To register, call 708-479-9663 or visit www.mokenalibrary.org.
• Watercolor Cityscapes – 7 p.m., Homer Township Public Library, 14320 W 151st St., Homer Glen. Gordon France will demonstrate his painting style and technique. Hosted by the Lemont Artists Guild. For more information, call 815-341-1145 or visit www.lemontartistsguild.org or www.gordonfrance.net.
• Ballroom Dance: Over the River and Through the Woods” – 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road., Shorewood. Music by The Del Bergeson Orchestra. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen Anime Club – 4:30 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Craft Beer Tasting at the Museum – 5:30 p.m., Joliet Area Historical Museum, 204 N Ottawa St., Joliet. Sample over 45 craft beers and ciders from 14 brewers. $19 (museum members) and $22 (non-members). Includes free hot appetizers, unlimited beer sampling, raffles, free prizes, free sampling glass. To register or for more information, call Mike at 815-23-5201 ext.222 or on line at www.jolietmuseum.org.
• Book Discussion: “Night Circus” – 6 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• “Fall into a Good Book” Story Time – 6:30 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Home Cheesemaking – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. To register, call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• “An Evening with Tom Hernandez – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Plainfield Public Library, 15025 S. Illinois St., Plainfield author Tom Hernandez reads and sign copies of his third book, which reflects on and explores the path to and through middle age as lived by a 50-something husband and father. Books available for purchase. To register and for information, call 815-436-6639 or visit plainfieldpubliclibrary.org.
• “And Then There Were None” – 7 p.m.; also 7 p.m. Nov. 17 and 1 and 7 p.m., Nov. 18, Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park & Theatre, 201 w. Jefferson St., Joliet. A dramatic play by Agatha Christie. $10 (adults) and $8 (seniors, students with ID and children under 12). Assigned seating. On sale at JCA main office and at door.
• 2nd Annual “Evening of Honor” concert – 7:30 p.m. at Bolingbrook High School. The symphonic band and wind symphony will perform patriotic songs to honor Bolingbrook’s veterans, current members of the military and first responders. $5. Veterans, current military members, first responders and members of the Bolingbrook High School band boosters admitted free.
• Gobble, Gobble: Let’s talk turkey! – 11 a.m. to noon to 2 and 3 year olds and 1 to 2 p.m. for 4 to 5 years olds, Heritage Professional Center, 24023 W. Lockport Street, Plainfield. To register or for more information, call 815-436-8812 or visit www.plfdparks.org.
• Kipling Estates Community Holiday Craft & Vendor Fair – 2 to 8 p.m., 850 Wynstone Drive, Shorewood. 16 crafters. For information, call Diane at 815-725-9922.
• Cancer Support Center’s Holiday Spirits – 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Nov. 17, Flossmoor Country Club. $45. Benefits the Cancer Support Center’s Mokena and Homewood locations. For tickets, visit give.classy.org/HolidaySpirits. For information, email Brandon Newberry at email@example.com or call 708-798-9171.
• WriteOn Joliet Anthology Release Party – 6 to 8:30 p.m., The Book Market Sales & Trading, 2365 Plainfield Road, Crest Hill. Meet local authors. Learn about WriteOn Joliet, a writing critique group of varied genres. WriteOn Joliet’s first anthology, as well as books by local authors, available for purchase. Chef-created refreshments. For information, visit www.writeonjoliet.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the The Book Market at 815-744-4240.
• “A Miracle on 34th Street” – 7:30 p.m.; also 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18 and 2 p.m., Nov. 19, Plainfield High School-Central Campus, 24120 W. Fort Beggs Drive, Plainfield.
• Bobby Rush – Doors open 6:30 p.m., Terrace Inn Lounge, 630 Gardner St., Joliet. $20 in advance. $25 at door. For tickets, call 815-603-1492.