• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Breakfast Club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 West Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Free health insurance counseling –
A volunteer counselor from the Senior Health Insurance Program is available at Morris Hospital by appointment. Counselors also are available by appointment in Coal City and Seneca. Open enrollment is through Dec. 7. Call 815-705-1063. If younger than age 65 and currently not on Medicare, call 1-866-311-1119 to enroll in the Illinois Marketplace offerings or to obtain other assistance, such as locating a local counselor.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Medicare Open Enrollment: Free help for seniors – Senior Health Insurance Program at 1-800-252-8966, weekdays
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For information about SHIP, including a list of locations, visit www.illinois.gov/aging/ship/Pages/default.aspx.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Seniors: Weatherize Your Home – Two visits a year includes a home safety inspections, weatherizing, outdoor water line check, moving of outdoor hoses, dryer vent check and cleaning, smoke detector battery check and replacement, furnace or air conditioner filter check and replacement, outdoor light bulb replacement, covering or uncovering air-conditioning units; and installing or removing window air-conditioning units. $20 a month for members of Senior Services of Will County or $30 a month for nonmembers. For information, call Sandy at 815-740-4204.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• Childerguild 89th annual Ball – 6 p.m. Nov. 18, Odyssey Country Club, Tinley Park. Theme: “Venetian Masquerade.” Dinner, dancing, Don Cagen Orchestra, presentation of Silver Cross Sehring Medal of Excellence for Healthcare to Dr. Dave Mikolajczak and the Silver Cross Sangmeister Medal of Excellence for Community Service to Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow. Black tie optional. $250. Benefits women’s and children’s programs and services at Silver Cross Hospital. For reservations, call 815-300-7105.
• Holiday Hustle 5K Run/Walk – 1 to
3 p.m. Nov. 26, Babe’s Tap, 755 S. Broadway St., Coal City. Proceeds benefit Coal City Backpack Program. Register at register.chronotrack.com/r/34819. For information, call Pam at 815-518-2300.
• Lights of Love – Nov. 22, Rialto Square Theater, 102 N. Chicago St., Joliet. Check-in is at 5 p.m. Ceremony is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Registration deadline is Nov. 20. Photos for the memorial due Nov. 8. $20 an ornament. To register or for information, visit www.joliethospice.org/events.html.
• Morris Hospital “Rhythm of Our Youth” cardiac screening – Nov. 14 at Wilmington High School. Volunteers older than 18 needed. Call 815-705-7022. For information or an electronic consent form, visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• Parent and Me Group Training –
9:45 to 10:30 a.m. Saturdays. Event begins Nov. 18, Challenge Fitness, 2021 S. Lawrence Ave., Lockport. Ages 7 and older with parents. For information, visit www.lockportpark.org or call 815-838-3621, ext. 0.
• Plainfield Park District Yoga Classes – Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center, 15014 S. Des Plaines St., Plainfield. 18 and older. Basic Beginning Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 18 and older. Gentle Yoga: Plainfield Township Community Center. 20 and older. Any level of health. Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center, 24319 Cedar Creek Lane, Plainfield. Ages 6 to 10. Little Kids’ Yoga: Streams Recreation Center. Ages 3 to 5. For times, registration and information, visit www.plfdparks.org or call 815-436-8812.
• Turkey Trot 5K Plus – Nov. 18. Registration is at 8 a.m. Start time is at 9 a.m., at the Joliet Autobahn, 3795 Centerpoint Way, Joliet. Five-member teams welcome. Trophies and medals. Benefits Big Brothers Big Sisters of Will and Grundy Counties. To register and for information, call 815-723-2227 or visit www.bbbswillgrundy.org.
• Free Assisted ACA Enrollment –
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; also Nov. 14, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Winter Garden (near Jazzman’s Café), 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. For information, call the 24-hour Presence Health Enrollment Line at 312-585-5665. Responds within 24 hours.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Nov. 14, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Nov. 14, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Halloween Candy Buy-Back – 3 to
7:30 p.m., Manhattan Dental Care, 175 S. State St., Manhattan, Benefits Operation Care Package in Joliet. Will pay kids $1 a pound, plus entry in a raffle for a $50 gift card. Candy donations sent to Operation Care Package that supports military troops. Limit five entries a person. Children must be accompanied by an adult. For information, visit www.manhattandentalcare.org or call 815-478-7788.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Nov. 14, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Breast Diseases and How to Manage – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Laura Ragauskaite, medical director of the Silver Cross Breast Center. Free. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Nov. 14, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.
• Mental Health First Aid Class – 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., New Lenox Village Hall community room, 1 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. For behavioral health professionals, social workers, counselors, first responders and anyone wishing to know warning signs of major depression and suicidal behavior. Also history of MHFA in the U.S., risk factors and warning signs for nonsuicidal self-injury, warning signs of substance abuse dependence and the MHFA action plan for individuals addicted to substances. Free. To register, contact Daniel Martin at 815-462-6493 or email@example.com. For information, contact Gia Washington at 708-748-1951 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Memory Lane Social – 10:30 to noon, Mokena Community Public Library District 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. For people with Alzheimer’s (or other dementias) along with their caregivers. Contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Get Moving Get Fit – 4 to 4:45 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education –
6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call
815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body – Hosted by Romeoville Parks and Recreation Department. Age 50 and up. For details, visit romeoville.org or call 815-886-6222.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Music and Movement – 3:15 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Taught by musician Stacy Jager. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Baby Bereavement Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., Pavilion A, New Lenox. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• ISDS Veterans Day Event – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will-Grundy Medical Clinic, 213 E. Cass St., Joliet. Complimentary dental day for qualifying veterans, whether they are patients of the clinic or not. Checkups, cleanings, extractions and restorations. Volunteer dentists: Dr. Jonathan Faber and Dr. Katherine Faber. Register at www.illinoisdentistssalute.org. For information, call 815-726-3377 or visit www.willgrundymedicalclinic.org.
• Fire Prevention – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Register at morrislibrary.com. For information, call 815-942-6880.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Cheers for a Cure – 6:30 to 11 p.m., Cress Creek Country Club, 1215 Royal St., George Drive, Naperville. Cheers for a Cure is the inaugural fundraising event hosted by the Joseph C. Monastra Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research in Naperville. For tickets and information, visit cheersforcure.auction-bid.org/microsite/.
• Learn to Crochet – 11 a.m. to noon, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information and to register,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Free Zumba Demo Class registration deadline – Event is 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 15, The Oaks Recreation and Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves create whole-body workout. Ages 16 and up. Call Mokena Park District at 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Free Diabetes Awareness Expo – 9 z.m. to 1 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 North Madison St., Joliet. Free screenings, presentations. risk assessments. Live cooking demonstration from 11 a.m. to noon. Resources for adults and children with diabetes, families and those at risk for diabetes. Products and services. For information, call 877-737-4636.
• Free Hospice & Palliative Care Presentation – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Plainfield Presence Healing Arts Pavilion,16615 S. Route 59, Plainfield. Learn the differences between hospice and palliative care, how people can benefit from each and when someone might be eligible for this health care benefit. Light refreshments served. Hosted by Rainbow Hospice and Palliative Care and Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, RSVP to Lynette Cremerious at 847-653-3041 or Lcremerius@RainbowHospice.org.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Heavy Periods Bringing You Down? – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Gamilah Pierre, gynecologist with The Midwest Institute for Robotic Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.