• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Affordable Care Act open enrollment – The Access to Dental and Primary Care Committee of the Will County Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships Collaborative said Medicaid and marketplace insurance are still both available through the Affordable Care Act for 2018 through Dec. 15. All plans sold during this period will start
Jan. 1, 2018. To enroll or for information, visit www.healthcare.gov or make an appointment with an ACA outreach specialist at the Will County Community Health Center by calling 815-774-6090 or by walking in at 1106 Neal Ave, Joliet.
• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community is offering respite care – For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat, and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 West Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Free health insurance counseling – A volunteer counselor from the Senior Health Insurance Program is available at Morris Hospital by appointment. Counselors also are available by appointment in Coal City and Seneca. Open enrollment is through Dec. 7. Call 815-705-1063. If younger than age 65 and currently not on Medicare, call 1-866-311-1119 to enroll in the Illinois Marketplace offerings or to obtain other assistance, such as locating a local counselor.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Medicare Open Enrollment: Free help for seniors – Senior Health Insurance Program at 1-800-252-8966, weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For information about SHIP, including a list of locations, visit www.illinois.gov/aging/ship/Pages/default.aspx.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Seniors: Weatherize your home – Two visits a year includes a home safety inspections, weatherizing, outdoor water line check, moving of outdoor hoses, dryer vent check and cleaning, smoke detector battery check and replacement, furnace or air conditioner filter check and replacement, outdoor light bulb replacement, covering or uncovering air-conditioning units; and installing or removing window air-conditioning units. $20 a month for members of Senior Services of Will County or $30 a month for nonmembers. For information, call Sandy at 815-740-4204.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at 815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• Zonta Says No to Violence Against Women campaign scavenger hunt – Take a selfie with the 13 large orange women signs around Joliet and post to Facebook with the hashtags #ZontaSaysNo and #16Days@JolietZontaClub before Dec.11. Or email photos to email@example.com. One winner (21 and older) will be selected and notified by Dec. 15. For information, visit www.zontasaysno.org.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Nov.Dec. 5, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Blood drive – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Our Lady of Angels Retirement Home, 1201 Wyoming Ave., Joliet. To make an appointment or for information, download the American Red Cross blood donor app, visit redcrossblood.org or call 800-RED CROSS (800-733-2767).
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Dec. 5, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Dec. 5 First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Dec. 5, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) –
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day, to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises –
10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Get Moving Get Fit – 4 to 4:45 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Widows/Widowers Grief Support Group – 5 to 7 p.m., Coal City United Methodist Church 6805 E. McArdle Road, Coal City. Light meal. For information, call Kay Lynn Shoemaker at 815-342-047.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Substance Use Disorder Education –
6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Get Covered Illinois Health Care Assistance Event – 9 to 11:30 a.m., State Rep. Mark Batinick’s Office, 24047 Lockport Street, Plainfield. For information, visit GetCovered.Illinois.gov.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) –
9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Kids Film Club – 4 to 5 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Children age 6 to 12 with cancer may attend will learn social-emotional skills through popular movies and activities to help process what they watched. For registration and information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Strong by Zumba registration deadline – Event is 9 to 10 a.m., Saturdays, Dec. 2 through Feb. 3, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Combines HIIT-style training (high intensity interval training) with the science of synced music motivation. 16 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or go to www.mokenapark.com.
• World AIDS Day – Noon to 6 p.m., Agape Missions Open House, 840 Plainfield Road, Joliet. For information, visit www.agapemissionsnfp.org.
• Free CPR class – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Northwest Homer Fire Station 1, 16152 W. 143rd St. Hosted by Homer Township and Northwest Homer Township Fire Protection Districts For information, call 815-838-5006.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• NAMI Connection Support Group – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. For adults living with mental illness. Free. Contact NAMI Will Grundy at 815-731-9103 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Joliet) – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. Free. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.
• Lung Cancer Networking Group – 1 to 2 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Colorectal Cancer Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information and to register,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Tai Chi Qigong registration deadline – Event is 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Wednesdays, Dec. 6 through Jan. 24, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Age 18 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or www.mokenapark.com.
• Free Assisted ACA Enrollment – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Dec. 12, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Winter Garden (near Jazzman’s Café), 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. For information, call the 24-hour Presence Health Enrollment Line at 312-585-5665. Responds within 24 hours.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Family & Friends of Breast Cancer Survivors – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants should call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• “I Can Cope” Breast Cancer Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Free. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.IMatter.silvercross.org.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.