• “Catholic Central” – Web series by Family Theater Productions in Hollywood offers entertaining and authoritative answers to questions about Catholic thought, spirituality and practice. Visit www.FamilyTheater.org.
• Catholics Returning Home – Six-week series. 7:30 to 9 p.m. Mary Immaculate Parish, north wing room A, 15629 S. Route 59, Plainfield. Dec. 4; “The Mass,” Dec. 11; “Sacrament of Reconciliation explained,” Dec. 18; “The Creed: What Catholics Believe.” Registration requested. For information, call Deacon Tom O’Connell at 815-230-2241 or visit www.smip.org.
• Choir members wanted – For Mokena United Methodist Church. Choir practice is at 7:30 p.m., Mokena UMC, 10901 W. LaPorte Road, Mokena. Attend weekly practices Wednesdays and sing at 10:15 a.m. Sunday worship. Join anytime. Call the church office at 708-479-1110.
• Donations of diapers and new underwear (all sizes) needed – Drop off from
9 a.m. to noon (Monday and Friday) and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), The Giving Tree, 3016 S. State St., Lockport (located behind Norma’s Cafe). For information, call 815-714-2674 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Grace United Methodist Church fall schedule – Worship services are at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Sunday school is at 9 a.m. Classes for ages 4 through high school and nursery for younger children. Adult classes include a discussion group, Bible study, Methodist awareness and a class for adults with special needs. Visitors and new members welcome. For information, call
815-725-7632. For Sunday school forms, email Michelle at email@example.com.
• Joliet Jewish Congregation’s Sisterhood gift shop – Open for holiday shopping. Jewelry, books, decorations, mezuzah items, children’s toys and Judaica. For hours of operation and information, call 815-741-4600.
• Musical opportunities at United Methodist Church of New Lenox – Vocal choirs, bell choirs or praise team. Children, teens and adults. Rehearsals are Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Call Mike Weirman about vocal and bell choirs and Tom Burns about the praise team at 815-485-8271.
• Pray with the Franciscan Friars – 8 a.m. (morning prayer) and 6:30 p.m. (evening prayer) Monday through Friday, St. John the Baptist friary, Joliet For information, call Brother Ed at 217-316-4335.
• Snow removal for seniors – The City of Joliet, working with Redeemed Connection Ministries, will offer a program to assist with residential snow removal for Joliet senior citizens age 65 and older and Joliet residents with disabilities. For information, contact the Rev. Adrian Heath at Rev.Heath1@gmail.com or 815-582-0703.
• Swedish sausage sale – Order deadline is Dec. 13. Sausage will be made on the morning of Dec. 17. Pickup is between
10 a.m. and noon, Bethany Lutheran Church, 500 Lemont St., Lemont. $4.50 a pound. No limit. Call 630-257-7953 or 630-257-0850 (evenings or weekends).
• Chicago pilgrimage – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Dec. 9. Will visit The Basilica of the Our Lady of Sorrows, St. Peter Catholic Church, Our Lady of the Highway Chapel at Loyola University and The National Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Leave from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 404 N. Hickory St., Joliet. $35. Includes motor coach and breakfast at friary. Mass is at 11 a.m at shrine. Bring own lunch. For information, call Brother Ed Arambasich at 217-316-4335.
• Retreat for men considering life as a Franciscan – Noon Dec. 27 to 10 a.m. Dec. 30, St. John Friary, 404 N. Hickory St., Joliet. Meet other men considering the Franciscan lifestyle and pray and eat together. Register ASAP. Call 217-316-4335.
• Lunch and Learn – Noon to 1:30 p.m.; also Dec. 7, Joliet Jewish Congregation, 250 N. Midland Ave., Joliet. Torah study. $5. RSVP at 815-741-4600. Visit www.jolietjewishcongregation.com.
• Wildside – 6 to 7:30 p.m. (seventh and eighth grade) and 7 to 8:30 p.m. (high school). Also Dec. 7, United Methodist Church of New Lenox, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. Food, fun and fellowship. Grades three to six. For information, call
• “The Center” – 6:30 to 9 p.m.; also Dec. 7, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. Nov. 30: Rashaad Gibbs will speak on “Practicing the Presence of God.” Free food, games, hang time, music and inspirational talk for teens. For information, call 815-474-2569, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thecenterjoliet.org or Facebook.com/thecenterjoliet.
• Family night – 6:45 to 8 p.m.; also
Dec. 7, Crystal Lawns Church of the Nazarene, 2424 Caton Farm Road, Joliet. For information, call 815-436-3380.
• Women’s Bible Study – 9:30 a.m., United Methodist Church, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. For information, call
• Fish fry – 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Knights of Columbus Council 4400, 1813 Cass St., Joliet. Fish, chicken and shrimp. Carryout. Call
• Bingo – Doors open at 4 p.m. Cards begin at 6 p.m., St. Mary Nativity School, 702 N. Broadway St., Joliet.
• Friday evening services – 7 p.m., Joliet Jewish Congregation, 250 N. Midland Ave., Joliet. For information, visit www.jolietjewishcongregation.com.
• “An Advent Evening” registration deadline – 7 p.m., Joliet Franciscan Center, 1433 Essington Road, Joliet. Speaker the Rev. Jack Welch. Topic: Mary, The Contemplative – What does it mean to be a Contemplative today?” Free. Call 815-725-8735.
• First Saturday Devotion/Rosary – after 7:30 a.m. Mass, St. Mary Immaculate Parish, 15629 S. Route 59, Plainfield. For information, call 815-436-2651.
• Aurora District UMM Advent Communion Service and Fellowship Breakfast – 8:30 a.m. (breakfast) and 10 a.m. (worship service), United Methodist Church, New Lenox. Guest speaker is Chris Schinder from the Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity Association. Worship conducted by the Rev. Wesley Dickerson. For information, call
• First Saturday devotion prayers –
9 a.m., Church of St. Jude, 2212 McDonough St., Joliet. All welcome.
• St. John’s Craft and Vendor Fair –
9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; also 9 to 3 p.m., Dec. 3, St. John’s gym, 403 N. Hickory St., Joliet. Free admission. For information, call St. John’s Religious Education Office at 815-727-9077.
• “One Week at a Time” – 10 a.m. to
2 p.m., Book and Bean Cafe, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Dale Hansen will sell and sign copies of his 52-week Bible devotional. For information, visit groundedandgrowingweekly.com.
• Trinity Christian’s Christmas Craft & Vendor Fair – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 901 Shorewood Drive, Shorewood. More than 60 vendors in gym and cafeteria. Accepting vendors until full. Call Karen Kay at
• St. Andrew the Apostle 3rd annual Craft/Vendor Fair – 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., St. Andrew the Apostle Parish, 505 Kingston Drive, Romeoville. 28 participants. For information, call 815-886-5945.
• Confession – 3:30 to 4:15 p.m., St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 710 W. Marion St., Joliet. For information, call 815-727-4746.
• Fish fry – 4 to 8 p.m., Knights of Columbus Council 4400, 1813 E. Cass St., Joliet. Carryout. Call 815-723-3827.
• “Hallelujah” Soup Supper & Cookie Sale – 4 to 7 p.m., Coal City United Methodist Church, 6805 E. McArdle Road, Coal City. Chili and turkey rice soups. Includes soup, sandwich, crackers, beverage, ice cream and dessert. $8 (ages 13 and older), $4 (ages 6 to 12) and $2 (ages 3 to 5). Kids younger than 3 are free. Carryouts available. Tickets sold at door. Also home-baked Christmas cookies. $7 a container.
• “The Wonders of Christmas” – 7 p.m. First Presbyterian Church, Morris. Performed by Prairie Creek Singers. Refreshments. Free and open to the public. New members welcome. For information, call 815-287-9806.
• Services, Hanging of the Greens –
8 and 10:30 a.m., Grace United Methodist Church, 1718 Avalon Ave., Joliet. The sanctuary will be decorated for Christmas, and the story of many of traditional decorations will be told.
• St. Mary Nativity Craft Show and Pancake Breakfast – 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m., 702 N. Broadway St., Joliet. Pancake breakfast hosted by the Rev. Gordon Michels Council No. 12014 Knights of Columbus with St. Nick. More than 40 vendors and crafters. For information, call Samantha at 815-603-4839.
• Experience Youth Group – Worship is at 8:45 a.m. Discussion is at 10:20 a.m., United Methodist Church, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. Meet in narthex. For information, call 815-485-8271.
• Madrigal Sunday – 9 a.m. (Lincoln-Way Central madrigals) and 10:45 a.m. (Lincoln-Way West madrigals), United Methodist Church, New Lenox. For information, call 815-485-8271.
• St. John’s Christmas Gift Sale and Fresh Bakery Sale – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., St. John’s gym, 403 N. Hickory St., Joliet. Gifts, decoration, clothing, toys, books, religious items and candy. For information, call St. John’s Religious Education Office at
• Rosary for the Holy Souls in Purgatory – 9:40 a.m., St. Mary Nativity Church, 706 N. Broadway St., Joliet.
• Healing Prayer Service – 1:30 p.m., St. Mary Immaculate Parish 15629 S. Rt. 59, Plainfield. For information, call 815-436-2651.
• Our Lady of Guadalupe novena –
1:30 p.m.; also 7 p.m. Dec. 4, Dec. 5, Dec. 6 and Dec. 7; also 8 p.m. Dec. 8, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 9, 1:30 p.m. Dec. 10 and 7 p.m. Dec. 11, St. Mary Immaculate Parish, 15629 S. Route 59, Plainfield.
• Ecumenical Christmas Concert –
3 p.m., Channahon United Methodist Church, 24751 W. Eames St., Channahon. Vocalists and musicians from the community will perform Christmas selections. For information, call 815-467-5275 or www.channahonumc.org.
• Advent Family Night – 5 to 7 p.m., United Methodist Church, New Lenox. Dinner (free will offering), crafts, children’s store (kids can shop and wrap inexpensive gifts), and caroling. For information, call
• Community Christmas Cantata “Once Upon a Night” by Choplin – 6 p.m., Berst Center, 245 S. Kankakee St. in Coal City. Director Rita Wise will be joined by accompanist Kris Farber to tell the story of Christ’s birth through music.
• Chapel Bible study – 7 p.m., United Methodist Church of New Lenox, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. New members encouraged. For topic and information, call 815-485-8271.
• Michael Johnston’s Bible Study Group – 7 p.m., United Methodist Church, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. For current topic and information, call 815-485-8271.
• Bible study – 9:30 a.m., St. Mary Nativity, Nativity Room, 706 N. Broadway St., Joliet. Book of Genesis. For information, call Denise Adelmann at 815-838-0337.
• DivorceCare – 6:30 p.m., United Methodist Church in New Lenox. For those going through or struggling with divorce. This is a Bible-based support group that uses both videos and discussion. For information, call 815-485-8271.
• Confession – 3 to 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 710 W. Marion St., Joliet. For information, call 815-727-4746.
• AWANA – 6:15 p.m., Parker Road Bible Church, 18512 Parker Road, Mokena. Kids learn Bible verses, sing songs and play games. For information, call 708-463-1125.
• Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception – 4 p.m.; also 8:30 a.m., Dec. 8, Holy Cross Church 830 Elizabeth St., Joliet; and 7 p.m.; also 8:30 a.m., 4 p.m., and 7:30 p.m. (Polish), Dec. 8, St. Mary Nativity Church, 706 N. Broadway St. Joliet.
• Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception – 4 p.m.; also 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. Dec. 8, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church, 127 S. Briggs St., Joliet. Mass in honor of the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception, a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics. For information, call 815-722-7653.
• Feast of the Immaculate Conception – 7 p.m. (English, church); also 7:30 a.m. (church), 8:45 a.m. (school Mass), noon (English, church), 5:30 p.m. (Polish, Cana), 7 p.m. (Spanish, Cana) Dec. 8; and 6:30 to 8 p.m. (Spanish Mass, church), 8 to 8:30 p.m. (Mañanitas, church) and 8:30 to 9 p.m. (fellowship, gym) Dec. 12, St. Mary Immaculate Parish, 15629 S. Rt. 59, Plainfield.