Digital Access

Digital Access
Access theherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Skooter’s Roadhouse able to reopen Friday after fire

Skooter's Roadhouse in Shorewood reopened on Friday after a fire that damaged the kitchen on Monday night.
Skooter's Roadhouse in Shorewood reopened on Friday after a fire that damaged the kitchen on Monday night.

SHOREWOOD – After a fire earlier this week, Skooter’s Roadhouse, a country-western bar and music venue, was able to reopen on Friday.

Shorewood Village Administrator Roger Barrowman said the Village of Shorewood and the Will County Health Department were at the bar Friday afternoon to inspect the damage and determine whether Skooter’s Roadhouse could open.

The damage was mainly in the kitchen and Barrowman said he believed the area was walled off.

Barrowman said Skooter’s Roadhouse got a temporary certificate of occupancy. Servpro, a water and fire damage cleanup and restoration company, was in the building for three days after the fire, he said.

Barrowman was unsure how long the temporary certificate of occupancy was good for, but he thought maybe it was for a month, during which time further repairs and rehabilitation will be conducted.

The bar’s Facebook page was active on Friday advertising its Boy Band Night performance with multiple videos of the festivities, which started with doors opening at 7 p.m. The posts included hashtags like #YouAreMyFIRE, #SkooterSTRONG and #OPEN4biz.

In another Facebook post on Wednesday, a spokesperson for the bar called it a “small, contained fire” in the kitchen.

Nearly 20 fire agencies were deployed to either stand by and assist on the scene when the fire occurred Monday or respond to other calls in the area, Troy Fire Chief Andy Doyles said. The potentially high damage cost and the fact that it was a commercial building resulted in the large response.

The bar is closed on Mondays and no one was injured. The first crews arrived just before 6 p.m.

The Wednesday Facebook post thanked the first responders and explained that it seemed like a small electrical fire that was contained with minimal damage.

Doyle estimated the amount of damage was around $300,000, but the fire department is waiting on the final cost analysis from the restaurant’s insurance company.

The fire caused structural damage to the building’s southeast corner and roof. Doyle said flames burned through the roof before firefighters arrived.

Loading more