• Abuse/neglect of seniors or disabled adults – In Grundy County, call Catholic Charities at 815-933-7791 or the 24-hour adult protective services hotline at
• Advocate Childhood Trauma Treatment Program – No-cost 20-session therapy/counseling services for children and adolescents who have experienced trauma. Call 1-800-210-1110 or visit advocatehealth.com/familycarenetwork.
• Affordable Care Act open enrollment – The Access to Dental and Primary Care Committee of the Will County Mobilizing for Action through Planning and Partnerships Collaborative said Medicaid and marketplace insurance are still both available through the Affordable Care Act for 2018 through Dec. 15. All plans sold during this period will start Jan. 1, 2018. To enroll or for information, visit www.healthcare.gov or make an appointment with an ACA outreach specialist at the Will County Community Health Center by calling 815-774-6090 or by walking in at 1106 Neal Ave, Joliet.
• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community is offering respite care – For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Catholic Charities’ Ombudsman Program – Protects and promotes the rights and quality of life for those who reside in long-term-care facilities in Kankakee, Will and Grundy counties. Services are confidential and free. Call 815-932-1921 or 800-252-8966.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch, 5601 W. Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Food safety – Food safety coaches are available from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, on the “Ask Karen Chat” and by phone at the USDA’s Meat and Poultry Hotline, 1-888-674-6854. Recorded messages are available 24 hours a day.
• Free amplified phones – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, Disability Resource Center, 77 N. 129th Infantry Drive, Joliet. Bring latest telephone bill and ID card. Call 815-729-0162 (voice), 815-729-2085 (TTY) or 815-768-2582 (VRS).
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Free health insurance counseling – A volunteer counselor from the Senior Health Insurance Program is available at Morris Hospital by appointment. Counselors also are available by appointment in Coal City and Seneca. Open enrollment is through Dec. 7. Call 815-705-1063. If younger than age 65 and currently not on Medicare, call 1-866-311-1119 to enroll in the Illinois Marketplace offerings or to obtain other assistance, such as locating a local counselor.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Holiday Tree & Wreath Sale –
24-inch Fraser fir wreaths for $30, 6- to 8-foot Fraser fir trees for $50 and 8- to 10-foot Fraser fir trees for $65. Benefits Cancer Support Center. Order at give.classy.org/TreeSale17. For information, email Brandon Newberry at firstname.lastname@example.org or call
• Hospice Volunteers Needed – Compassus Hospice is seeking caring, dedicated volunteers. Duties may included patient and family visits, holding a hand, providing caregiver relief, reading to patients or playing music for them. For information, call Sarah Gorman, volunteer coordinator, Compassus Hospice, at 815-220-1390.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Medicare Open Enrollment: Free help for seniors – Senior Health Insurance Program at 1-800-252-8966, weekdays 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. For information about SHIP, including a list of locations, visit www.illinois.gov/aging/ship/Pages/default.aspx.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart health, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking patient transportation volunteers – For information on volunteering, call Morris Hospital at 815-705-7022.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofouryouth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its HelpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Seniors: Weatherize your home – Two visits a year includes a home safety inspections, weatherizing, outdoor water line check, moving of outdoor hoses, dryer vent check and cleaning, smoke detector battery check and replacement, furnace or air conditioner filter check and replacement, outdoor light bulb replacement, covering or uncovering air-conditioning units; and installing or removing window air-conditioning units. $20 a month for members of Senior Services of Will County or $30 a month for nonmembers. For information, call Sandy at 815-740-4204.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• VNA Health Care Enrollment Assistance for Illinois Marketplace and Medicaid – No charge for enrollment assistance. Open enrollment for marketplace health insurance is through Dec. 15. Coverage effective Jan. 1, 2018. For an appointment with a VNA benefits specialist or the marketplace insurance specialist, call 892-4355.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at
815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• Zonta Says No to Violence Against Women campaign scavenger hunt – Take a selfie with the 13 large orange women signs around Joliet and post to Facebook with the hashtags #ZontaSaysNo and #16Days@JolietZontaClub before Dec. 11. Or email photos to email@example.com. One winner (21 and older) will be selected and notified by Dec. 15. For information, visit www.zontasaysno.org.
• Bridges to a New Day Charity of the Games & Fundraiser – Event is 3:05 p.m. Jan. 14, Fox Valley Ice Arena, Geneva. Chicago Steel game. Benefits Bridges to a New Day in Romeoville. The game is also Daddy Daughter Princess Day featuring Moana. For tickets and information, contact Lina at 815-838-2690 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free Assisted ACA Enrollment –
9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; also Dec. 12, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Winter Garden (near Jazzman’s Café), 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. For information, call the 24-hour Presence Health Enrollment Line at 312-585-5665. Responds within 24 hours.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Dec. 12, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group – 11 a.m.; also Dec. 12, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Dec. 12 First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda 630-877-7943.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group –
6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Family & Friends of Breast Cancer Survivors – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants should call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• “I Can Cope” Breast Cancer Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Free. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.IMatter.silvercross.org.
Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Dec. 12, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day, to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Get Moving Get Fit – 4 to 4:45 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Eighteenth Annual Memorial Luminary Program – Open house is 5 to 7 p.m. Memorial tribute is 6 p.m., Overman-Jones15219 South Joliet Road, Plainfield. In loving memory of families served from October 2016 to November 2017. Individuals in the community also welcome to commemorate a loved one. Participating families may decorate a candle before 1 p.m. and should arrive for the tribute by 4:30 p.m. Refreshments, fellowship. For more information, call 815-436-9221 or visit www.overman-jones.com.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Basics of Breastfeeding Class – 6:30 to 9 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $15 a person. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Heart Failure Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 W. High Street, Morris. Facilitator: Pat Cravens, registered nurse and cardiovascular clinical educator. For information, call 815-705-7832.
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Trauma Informed Services Training – 10 a.m. to noon, Catholic Charities, 203 N. Ottawa St., Joliet. Presenter: Joy Newburn (masters in clinical psychology) worked on a national grant to improve Trauma Informed Care. Topics: definition, explanation of adverse childhood experiences, effects of trauma, how to have a workplace sensitive to trauma survivors, how trauma effects staff, brainstorming ideas of improving workplace to be more trauma informed. To RSVP for this free training, contact Courtney Suchor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-774-4663.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Kids Film Club – 4 to 5 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Children age 6 to 12 with cancer may attend will learn social-emotional skills through popular movies and activities to help process what they watched. For registration and information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Young Adults Networking Group – 6 to 7 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Ages 18 to 39. For information and to register, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-3957 or 630-527-6363.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Learn to Crochet – 11 a.m. to noon, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Infants welcome. First time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or call 1-888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Cancer Support Group – 6:30 p.m., United Methodist Church of New Lenox, Mary Philips Library, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. For those who have cancer or have a loved one with cancer. For information, call 815-485-8271.
• Essential Oils with Donna Wirta – 6 to 8 p.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St, Mokena. To register, call 708-479-9663 or register through our events calendar at www.mokenalibrary.org.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.