• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community is offering respite care – For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Balance enhancement and fall prevention screening – 15-minute appointment, Brain and Balance Clinic, 1051 Essington Road, Joliet. Screens performed through the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab at Silver Cross Hospital. To schedule a free screening, call 815-300-6580.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• C3 Martial Arts Classes – 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays, Judson Memorial Church Campus, 2800 Black Road, Joliet, C3 (Christ Centered Combat) is a martial arts, self-defense class for those ages 7 and older. There is a kids taekwondo class Saturday mornings at 10 a.m., and following at 11 a.m. there is a teen/adult combat hapkido class. Thursday evening is all ages. First two are classes free. Call 815-342-3538 or visit www.fbcjoliet.org.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital,
1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday; and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch,
5601 W. Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Hospice volunteers needed – Compassus Hospice is seeking caring, dedicated volunteers. Duties may included patient and family visits, holding a hand, providing caregiver relief, reading to patients or playing music for them. For information, call Sarah Gorman, volunteer coordinator, Compassus Hospice, at 815-220-1390.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lower Back Screenings – Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Offered by the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab. To schedule an appointment with a physical therapist, call 815-300-7110.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or you have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofour-youth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its helpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Seniors: Weatherize your home – Two visits a year includes a home safety inspections, weatherizing, outdoor water line check, moving of outdoor hoses, dryer vent check and cleaning, smoke detector battery check and replacement, furnace or air conditioner filter check and replacement, outdoor light bulb replacement, covering or uncovering air-conditioning units; and installing or removing window air-conditioning units. $20 a month for members of Senior Services of Will County or $30 a month for nonmembers. For information, call Sandy at 815-740-4204.
• Small Equipment Grant Program – The Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) will award $2.2 million to eligible fire departments and ambulance services during this application period. The program was established to provide grants of up to $26,000 for the purchase of small firefighting and ambulance equipment to fire departments and nonprofit ambulance services across Illinois. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 28. For information and an application, visit www2.illinois.gov/sites/sfm/Iam/FireDepartment/Grants-and-Loans/Pages/default.aspx.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at
815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 2nd annual Lincoln-Way Half Marathon – 7 a.m. April 22, 123 Kansas St., Frankfort. $70. Register at lincolnwayhalfmarathon.com. For information on sponsorship opportunities, visit lincolnwayhalfmarathon.
• Bridging to the Future Spring Brunch – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 18, Prairie Bluff Golf Club, 19433 Renwick Road, Lockport. Easter Bunny (bring camera), raffle and silent auction. Bridges to a New Day helps children learn to deal with bullying issues through our in-school programs, as well as providing domestic violence counseling to women. For sponsorships, email email@example.com. For information, visit www.bridgestoanewday.org or call 815-838-2690.
• Donate Your Weight to Charity – The Joliet Park District will donate the total amount of pounds lost to Pink Heels of Joliet. First weigh-in is 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 15 and 16 at the Inwood Athletic Club, 3000 W. Jefferson St. Joliet. The final weigh-out is
5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Feb. 27 and 28. For information, call 815-741-7275.
• Edward Hospital’s “Lifestyle Under Construction” program – 12-week session begins Feb. 6, Edward Heart Hospital ground floor conference room, 801 S. Washington St., Naperville. Initial evaluations begin in January. Medically supervised program. Weekly classes taught by a cardiac nurse, registered dietitian or exercise physiologist. Personalized exercise program. Recommended for those at risk for metabolic syndrome. For information and to register, call 630-527-2825.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m; also Jan. 16, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m.; also Jan. 16, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Jan. 16, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Carb Counting Class – 6 to 7 p.m.,
Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 High St., Morris. Taught by a diabetes educator. For information, call
• Introductory session to DIET FREE –
6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 1, 150 High St., Morris. Taught by a diabetes educator/registered dietitian. Registration not required. For information, call 815-705-7364.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m.; also Jan. 16, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.
• Vision Board Workshop with Marti Anne – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Organize intentions for 2018, guided meditation. Free. Call Tracy Domzalski at 708-479-9663 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) –
9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Memory Lane Social – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. For people with Alzheimer’s (or other dementias) along with their caregivers. Contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First-time participants register at 888-660-HEAL (4325) or www.silvercross.org.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at
888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Cradle Talk – 10 to 11 a.m., Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 815 South Washington St., Naperville. Weekly support group for new parents and their babies, ages 0-6 months. Led by an Edward Hospital mother/baby nurse. Guest speakers. Weekly topics. Special events. Bring newborn with you. For information, call 630-527-3957 or visit www.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby/resources/cradle-talk.
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Men’s group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
•”I Can Cope” Cancer Support Group - 1 to 3 p.m., Radiation Therapy Center of Morris Hospital, 1600 West U.S. Route 6 in Morris. For any type of cancer. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events or call 815-364-8915
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Baby Bereavement Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., Pavilion A, New Lenox. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• HERO (Heroin Epidemic Relief Organization) Morris Family Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Morris Theatre, Guild, Morris. Informational forum featuring Jason Helland, Grundy County State’s Attorney; John Roberts, HERO president and co-founder; and Angela Solis, founder of Crossroads Counseling Services in Morris. Refreshments. Anyone interested in this new support group is welcome to attend, including representatives of social service agencies, and healthcare providers. To RSVP, contact Jan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• “Take Your Shot” Fitness Event – 7 a.m. to noon, Bolingbrook Recreation & Aquatic Complex, 200 S. Lindsey Lane, Bolingbrook. Group exercise classes, opportunities to talk with staff, trainers and instructors and LifeStyles’ partner, AMITA Health Adventist Medical Center, Bolingbrook will offer health screenings all for free. For exercise schedule and more information, visit www.bolingbrookparks.org or call 630-739-0272.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bridges to a New Day Charity of the Games Fundraiser – 3:05 p.m. Jan. 14, Fox Valley Ice Arena, Geneva. Chicago Steel game. Benefits Bridges to a New Day in Romeoville. The game also is Daddy Daughter Princess Day featuring “Moana.” For tickets and information, contact Lina at 815-838-2690 or email@example.com.
• Support for People with Oral and Head and Neck Cancer (SPOHNC) – 2 to 3 p.m., Radiation Therapy Center of Morris Hospital, 1600 West U.S. Route 6 in Morris. For information, call 815-364-8915.
• Mended Hearts – 2 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Support group for heart patients. For information, call Margaret Downey at 815-725-7133, ext. 7847.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• Two-part Prepared Childbirth Class – 6 to 9 p.m.; second part is Jan. 16, Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $80 per couple. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries.org.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.