Prairie State Legal Services is pleased to launch its telephone legal advice line for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault who live in the counties served by PSLS.
The Legal Advice Line is open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesdays.
The Victims Legal Advice Line is 844-388-7757 (toll free)
Bilingual staff or interpreters for limited English-proficient callers available.
An attorney will be available during these hours to answer brief civil legal questions impacting victims of domestic violence or sexual assault.
For legal representation in court for matters such as a divorce, a protective order or other matter, contact your local Prairie State office between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays
To find the nearest office, visit between www.pslegal.org.
Examples of legal advice victims may seek:
• Questions related to housing safety, the Safe Homes Act, breaking a lease
• Questions concerning emergency protective orders
• Advice for victims who fled to Illinois with their children from another state.
• Questions about visitation rights for abusers.
• Questions about victims’ rights within the criminal court process
• Questions about special protections for victims abused by fellow students.
• Advice concerning legal options for victims of sexual assault or stalking
Prairie State attorneys will conduct a full intake and will refer appropriate cases on to local staff attorneys for representation as resources permit. However, this line is primarily focused on easing access to legal advice for victims.
This project was supported by Grant #2015-VA-GX-0049, awarded by the Office for Victims of Crime, Office of Justice Programs, U.S. Department of Justice, through the Illinois Criminal Justice Information Authority.