• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community is offering respite care – For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Balance enhancement and fall prevention screening – 15-minute appointment, Brain and Balance Clinic, 1051 Essington Road, Joliet. Screens performed through the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab at Silver Cross Hospital. To schedule a free screening, call 815-300-6580.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• C3 Martial Arts Classes – 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays, Judson Memorial Church Campus, 2800 Black Road, Joliet, Christ Centered Combat (C3) is a martial arts, self-defense class for those ages 7 and older. There is a kids taekwondo class Saturday mornings at 10 a.m., and following at 11 a.m. there is a teen/adult combat hapkido class. Thursday evening is all ages. First two are classes free. Call
815-342-3538 or visit www.fbcjoliet.org.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital,
1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Flu shots – Walk-ins: 8 to 11:30 a.m. Monday, Thursday and Friday; 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday; and 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday. Closed fourth Friday of the month. Will County Health Department’s Immunizations office, 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. By appointment at the northern branch, 323 Quadrangle Drive, Bolingbrook; and the eastern branch,
5601 W. Monee-Manhattan Road, Monee. For appointments at either branch, residents can call 815-740-8143. Fees: Quadrivalent flu vaccine for adults and children is $40. High-dose flu vaccines for age 65 and older and egg-free flu vaccines are $65. The fee is $23.75 for ages 6 months through 18, who are eligible for the Vaccines for Children Program. For information, visit www.willcountyhealth.org.
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364 6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Hospice volunteers needed – Compassus Hospice is seeking caring, dedicated volunteers. Duties may included patient and family visits, holding a hand, providing caregiver relief, reading to patients or playing music for them. For information, call Sarah Gorman, volunteer coordinator, Compassus Hospice, at 815-220-1390.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• January is Cervical Cancer Awareness Month – The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends a pap smear every three years for women age 21 to 65. Women age 30 to 65 years who want to lengthen the screening interval may opt to have a pap smear with human papillomavirus (HPV) testing every five years. Vaccines that protect against the types of HPV that cause 90 percent of cervical cancers, as well as several other diseases and cancers, are recommended for girls and boys ages 11 to 12 years of age. To make an appointment for a women’s wellness exam at VNA, which includes cervical cancer screening, call 630-892-4355.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or you have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart disease, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofour-youth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its helpLine at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call 815-300-6288.
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Small Equipment Grant Program – The Office of the State Fire Marshal will award $2.2 million to eligible fire departments and ambulance services during this application period. The program was established to provide grants of up to $26,000 for the purchase of small firefighting and ambulance equipment to fire departments and nonprofit ambulance services across Illinois. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 28. For information and an application, visit www2.illinois.gov/sites/sfm/Iam/FireDepartment/Grants-and-Loans/Pages/default.aspx.
• Victims legal advice line – 9 a.m. to
1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday; 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Call 844-388-7757 (toll free). Prairie State Legal Services will answer brief civil questions for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault. Bilingual staff or interpreters for limited English-proficient callers. For legal representation and information, visit www.pslegal.org.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at
815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 2nd annual Lincoln-Way Half Marathon – 7 a.m. April 22, 123 Kansas St., Frankfort. $70. Register at lincolnwayhalfmarathon.com. For information on sponsorship opportunities, visit lincolnwayhalfmarathon.
• 50th annual Morris Hospital Auxiliary Charity Gala – Feb. 10, Jennifer’s Garden, 555 Gore Road, Morris. Cocktails and silent auction at 5:30 p.m. Live auction and dinner at 7 p.m., Entertainment by The Tony Kidonakis Orchestra. $150 a person. Benefits expansion of outpatient behavioral health services. For reservations, visit morrishospital.org/gala or contact Kelly Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 815-705-7024.
• Bridging to the Future Spring Brunch – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 18, Prairie Bluff Golf Club, 19433 Renwick Road, Lockport. Easter Bunny (bring camera), raffle and silent auction. Bridges to a New Day helps children learn to deal with bullying issues through in-school programs, as well as providing domestic violence counseling to women. For sponsorships, email email@example.com. For information, visit www.bridgestoanewday.org or call 815-838-2690.
• NAMI Family-to-Family – 12-week sessions begins at 6 p.m. Jan. 25 (English) and 9 a.m. Jan. 27 (Spanish). Free educational program for family, significant others and friends of people living with mental illness. It is a designated evidenced-based program. Research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to an individual living with a mental health condition. To register for English classes, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-731-9103. To register for Spanish classes, email email@example.com or call 312-560-2967.
• Spring Adult Workshop – 6 to 8 p.m. March 1, 18, 15 and 22, Joliet Area Community Hospice, 250 Water Stone Circle, Joliet. Topics will include “What is Grief?” with a story shared by Dr. Bill Webster who established The Center for The Grief Journey. Participants will be able to board the “grief train” and learn and new techniques for relaxation and meditation will be learned. Discussion of remembering loved ones on special occasions. Free. Registration required. Contact Mary Ann Burns at
815-460-3282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Edward Hospital’s “Lifestyle Under Construction” program – 12-week session has begun, Edward Heart Hospital ground floor conference room, 801 S. Washington St., Naperville. Initial evaluations begin in January. Medically supervised program. Weekly classes taught by a cardiac nurse, registered dietitian or exercise physiologist. Personalized exercise program. Recommended for those at risk for metabolic syndrome. For information and to register, call
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m; also Feb. 13, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group –
11 a.m., also Feb. 13, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also Feb. 13, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Bosom Buddies support group – 7 to 8:30 p.m., Presence Cancer Care, 2614 W. Jefferson St., Joliet.
• Group Exercise Open House – The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Class times vary. Ages 16 and older. For information, call 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Heart Healthy Screening – By appointment, Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. $35 blood test checks total cholesterol, LDL and HDL cholesterol, triglycerides and glucose for type 2 diabetes. Ultrasound artery screenings – arm, leg and carotid – are $40 each or $100 for all three. Call 815-416-6089 to schedule at Morris or 630-553-8200 to schedule at the Yorkville campus.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Music and Movement – 9:30 a.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Taught by musician Stacy Jager. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Free Tai Chi Qigong Demo Class – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Ages 18 and older. Register at 708-390-2343 or www.mokenapark.com.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Basics of Breastfeeding Class – 6:30 to 9 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital, Pavilion A, Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $15 a person. Register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Conquer Your Core – 7:15 to 8 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Cradle Talk – 10 to 11 a.m., Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 815 South Washington St., Naperville. Weekly support group for new parents and their babies, ages 0-6 months. Led by an Edward Hospital mother/baby nurse. Guest speakers. Weekly topics. Special events. Bring newborn with you. For information, call 630-527-3957 or visit www.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby/resources/cradle-talk.
• Intro to Yoga – 10 to 11 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W. 195th St., Mokena. Presenter: Marti Anne. To register, contact Tracy Domzalski at email@example.com or 708-479-9663.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Baby Bereavement Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., Pavilion A, New Lenox. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org/specialdeliveries or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Zumba – 10:45 to 11:45 a.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 1:30 p.m.; also 1:30 and 4 p.m. Sunday, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Free Zumba Demo Class registration deadline – Event is 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Feb. 12, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. 16 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Blood Drive – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; also Feb. 13, Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. To make an appointment or for more information, download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-Red Cross (1-800-733-2767).
• Introduction to Breastfeeding – 9 to 10 a.m., Morris Hospital, Family Birthing suites classroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. Taught by an obstetrical nurse/certified lactation consultant. Nursing mothers may bring infants. Free. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Learn to Crochet – 11 a.m. to noon, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information,call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 5:15 to 6:45 p.m., Romeoville Police Department, 900 Romeo Road, Romeoville. For more information, call Sandie at 815-886-9252.
• Tai Chi Qigong registration deadline – Event is 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Wednesdays, Feb. 14 through April 4, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. Age 18 and up. Register at 708-390-2343 or www.mokenapark.com.
• Free Pre-Diabetes Class – 3 to 4 p.m., Morris Hospital, Education Room 1, 150 High St., Morris. Focus on healthy eating, physical activity and lifestyle behaviors that help prevent or delay the development of diabetes. Led by a diabetes educator. Everyone welcome. Registration not required. For information, call 815-705-7367.
• Heartburn & Barrett’s Esophagus – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter:Dr. Kamran Ayub, medical director of the Advanced Center for Endoscopy at Silver Cross Hospital.Register to attend at www.silvercross.org.
• Cancer Support Group – 6:30 p.m., United Methodist Church of New Lenox, Mary Philips Library, 339 W. Haven Ave., New Lenox. For those who have cancer or have a loved one with cancer. For information, call 815-485-8271.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.