Digital Access

Digital Access
Access theherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Joliet council member questions plan for haunted prison

JOLIET – Evil Intentions’ plan for a haunted house in the old Joliet prison met some pushback Monday.

Joliet officials at a City Council workshop meeting said Evil Intentions may have jumped the gun when it announced last week that it will open this coming Halloween season.

The council votes Tuesday on a sublease that would allow Evil Intentions into the prison, although it would have to pass city and state inspections before it could open.

City Manager David Hales’ called last week’s announcement “premature.”

But Council member Pat Mudron questioned why the sublease was not put out for bid, giving local haunted house operators a chance. He questioned whether Evil Intentions was best qualified to go into the prison given its announcement last week.

“One thing they did offer us is money,” City Attorney Marty Shanahan said.

“Is $25,000 enough money?” Mudron asked, quoting the annual rent Evil Intentions would pay in the one-year lease.

Shanahan said the city’s decision to lease the prison from the state was prompted by Evil Intentions’ interest in putting a haunted house there.

Loading more