Digital Access

Digital Access
Access theherald-news.com from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Joliet restaurant evacuated after smoke fills dining room

Electrical issue might have been to blame for disruption at Al's Steak House, fire official said

Lunchtime diners at Al's Steak House and Banquets in Joliet had to evacuate the restaurant Wednesday afternoon after smoke filled its dining room.
Lunchtime diners at Al's Steak House and Banquets in Joliet had to evacuate the restaurant Wednesday afternoon after smoke filled its dining room.

JOLIET – Lunchtime diners at Al’s Steak House and Banquets in Joliet had to evacuate the restaurant Wednesday afternoon after smoke filled its dining room. Joliet police and firefighters could be seen about 1 p.m. Wednesday near the steakhouse, located at 1990 W. Jefferson St., but Joliet Fire Battalion Chief Laroy Aldridge said the smoke did not mean there was a fire.

ComEd had a transformer that failed in the area, and it knocked out several businesses’ power, including the restaurant’s.

“They had an issue with the furnace,” Aldridge said.

ComEd was looking into its problem, and Al’s staff had notified an electrician and heating, ventilation and air conditioning specialist about its furnace. There was no fire, however. Owner George Daskalakis said Al’s would reopen for normal business Thursday after restoring a furnace unit that was knocked out by the power shortage.

“Our own electrical and everything else in the building is fine,” Daskalakis said.

Loading more