Digital Access

Digital Access
Access from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Police report: Mayor's implied threats concern two officers

Police chief tells officers they should not be concerned

ROMEOVILLE – Romeoville Mayor John Noak appeared to have disturbed two police officers with vague, threatening statements after he was arrested in connection with driving under the influence, according to village records.

Noak allegedly told Romeoville Police Chief Mark Turvey, “I’m coming for you,” and said to two other officers, “You’re done,” after his DUI arrest April 12, according to a partially redacted police report obtained by The Herald-News in a Freedom of Information Act request.

Both officers expressed concerns to Turvey about what seemed to be Noak’s implied threats. Turvey told them he did not feel they were of concern. Turvey had three short conversations with Noak after his arrest and apparently calmed him down when he appeared to be upset and crying, according to the report.

Noak refused to answer questions about the incidents detailed in the report and instead emailed a statement. After being repeatedly asked about the report, he hung up. In his statement, Noak apologized for the “incident that occurred on Thursday, April 12.”

“Under direction of my attorney George Lenard, I will not be able to provide a full statement until my case is resolved,” Noak said. “Once the case is concluded, I will provide a more detailed statement.”

Turvey declined to comment, saying the matter is a pending legal case.

“I really cannot say anything right now,” he said.

About 5:46 p.m. April 12, a Romeoville police officer responded to a report of a reckless and possibly drunken driver heading west on Belmont Drive from Route 53, according to the report.

A 53-year-old female witness said she saw a vehicle “hitting curbs among other behaviors,” police said. The caller was driving behind Noak when he was on Route 53 and was “concerned enough with the driving habits” to call 911 and make a report.

The responding police officer found the vehicle, which was a black Ford Escape with specialty mayor registration plates.

The officer followed the sport utility vehicle and saw enough driving cues and traffic violations to initiate a stop by activating his squad car’s emergency lights, police said. But Noak “increased speed and did not appear to acknowledge the signal to stop and pull over.” The officer activated his sirens as a result.

When the officer approached Noak, he appeared to be conversing with another person on a speaker phone and “continued to talk as I stood next to the door and did not acknowledge me,” the police report said.

After the officer asked for Noak’s license and registration, Noak said “Dave, I’m done ... Bye,” according to the report.

Noak told the officer he was on his way home from an event.

The officer performed several tests to determine if Noak was under the influence, including an alphabet test, a counting test, a walk-and-turn test and a one-leg stand test, police said. During the tests, another police officer allegedly saw fresh damage on the passenger-side wheels.

Noak was asked how much he had to drink during the day, the report said, but his response was redacted. The officer determined Noak was under the influence and he was placed under arrest.

At the police station, Noak refused to take breath, blood and urine tests. Turvey had three short conversations with Noak. In one conversation, an officer saw Noak upset or crying and Turvey calmed him down, the report said.

An officer read Noak his Miranda right and the mayor refused to waive his rights or answer questions, police said. Noak accused the officer of waiting hours to read him his Miranda rights, but the officer told him the rights apply only to people being interviewed, police said.

Throughout the booking process, Noak allegedly asked several times if the area was being recorded, police said, and was told the booking room had video but not audio recording.

At one point, Noak told Turvey “I’m coming for you,” the report said.

“Noak’s tone and demeanor as he made this statement appeared to be a veiled threat but was not accompanied with any aggressive body language or movements,” the report said.

While Turvey and the two officers escorted Noak from the booking room, he appeared to be looking at a social media page on his phone before he shook hands with one officer and said “You’re done,” according to the report.

“I then told Noak, ’Yes, this process is done.’ Noak then looked directly at me and said ‘No, you’re done,’” the report said.

Noak apparently said the same to the other officer and his “tone of voice and his body language” made his statements seem hostile and threatening, the report said. Turvey told both officers “he did not necessarily feel that the statements were of concern.”

Loading more