• Alden Courts of Shorewood Memory Care Community – Offering respite care. For information, call 815-230-8600.
• Balance enhancement and fall prevention screening – 15-minute appointment, Brain and Balance Clinic, 1051 Essington Road, Joliet. Screens performed through the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab at Silver Cross Hospital. To schedule a free screening, call 815-300-6580.
• Breakfast club – Lewis University, Student Recreation and Fitness Center, 1 University Parkway, Romeoville. Ages 55 and older. For times, fees, registration and information, call Jill Siegfried at 815-836-5277.
• C3 Martial Arts Classes – 6 to 7 p.m. Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays, Judson Memorial Church Campus, 2800 Black Road, Joliet, Christ Centered Combat (C3) is a martial arts, self-defense class for those ages 7 and older. There is a kids’ taekwondo class Saturday mornings at 10 a.m., and following at 11 a.m. there is a teen/adult combat hapkido class. Thursday evening is all ages. First two classes are free. Call
815-342-3538 or visit www.fbcjoliet.org.
• Cardiac risk assessment – Outpatient Testing Center, Silver Cross Hospital,
1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Measures total cholesterol including HDL and LDL levels, blood glucose level, triglyceride level, blood pressure and body fat and 12-lead EKG. A 12-hour fast is required. $40. Cash, check or credit card will be accepted at the time of appointment. Insurance will not be billed. Call 815-300-7076.
• Child Abuse Hotline – 1-800-25-ABUSE (252-2873)
• Free blood pressure checks – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call 708-364-6337.
• Grief counseling – Available at Joliet Area Community Hospice for anyone of any age experiencing loss due to death of child, parent, sibling, grandparent, relative, friend or pet, regardless of the cause of death. Call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Grundy VAC office – To learn about programs for veterans on the local, state and federal level, call 815-941-3152.
• Hospice volunteers needed – Compassus Hospice is seeking caring, dedicated volunteers. Duties may included patient and family visits, holding a hand, providing caregiver relief, reading to patients or playing music for them. For information, call Sarah Gorman, volunteer coordinator, Compassus Hospice, at 815-220-1390.
• Illinois Poison Control – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including holidays. Call IPC at 1-800-222-1222. For information, visit illinoispoisoncenter.org.
• LifeSource Blood Donor mobile app – Android users: Google Play. iPhone users: Apple App Store.
• Lung cancer screening – Low-dose CT scan. Annual screening recommended for adults age 55 to 74 years old who have smoked at least a pack a day for 30 years, current smokers, or you have quit within the last 15 years and are in relatively good health. Covered by Medicare and most insurance plans. Must have a doctor’s order. To schedule, call 815-300-7076.
• Morris Hospital online childbirth class – Instructive video clips, animations, interactive games and birth stories. Tours of the Family Birthing Suites at Morris Hospital scheduled upon request. $65. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For information, call 815-942-3012.
• Morris Hospital online health risk assessments – For heart disease, peripheral artery disease and stroke. Visit www.morrishospital.org/getcheckednow.
• Morris Hospital seeking volunteers for Youth Cardiac Screening Program – To volunteer, contact Karen Nowosielski or visit www.morrishospital.org/rhythmofour-youth.
• NAMI – Offers information about mental illness conditions, symptoms and treatment at www.namiwillgrundy.org or through its helpline at 815-731-9103.
• Postnatal physical therapy screenings – Silver Cross Health Center, 12701 W. 143rd St., Homer Glen. Free for women six weeks to one year post-delivery. 15-minute exam. Focus on posture, core and pelvic strength. For confidential appointment, call
• Silver Cross online sleep disorders assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/sleepdisorderscenter.
• Silver Cross online stroke risk assessment – Visit www.silvercross.org/neuro.
• Sound the Alarm. Save a Life. – The Chicago and Northern Illinois Red Cross is looking for volunteers to help install 2,000 free smoke alarms as part of a national target of 100,000. For information, visit SoundTheAlarm.org.
• Victims legal advice line – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday, and 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday. Call 844-388-7757 (toll free). Prairie State Legal Services will answer brief civil questions for victims of domestic violence or sexual assault. Bilingual staff or interpreters for limited English-proficient callers. For legal representation and information, visit www.pslegal.org.
• Volunteer drivers needed – The American Cancer Society is in need of more volunteer drivers to support the Road To Recovery program, which provides cancer patients with free rides to treatment. For information, visit visit cancer.org.
• Will County Health Department walk-in Immunization Clinic – 501 Ella Ave., Joliet. For hours and information about immunization services available to children and adults, call the Will County Health Department immunizations desk at
815-740-8143 or visit shawurl.com/34il.
• 2018 Hero Helps Community Summit – May 11, Edward Hospital Athletic and Event Center in Romeoville. Presenters: Laura Porter, a thought leader in adverse childhood experiences and its relation to substance use, will discuss how to use theory of ACES to change policy and influence practice; Maria Bruni, assistant secretary of programs for the Illinois Department of Human Services, Dr. Nirav Shah, director of the Illinois Department of Public Health, who will share information about the State of Illinois Opioid Action Resource fair with 40 vendors and Narcan training. Free and open to the public. Continuing education credits will be offered. For information or to register for the Narcan training, visit www.HeroHelpsSWC.org.
• Chi-Town Showdown – 8 a.m. May 12. 5K Run and Walk. Kids Dash is at approximately 9 a.m., Main Park, 10925 W. La Porte Road, Mokena. Free parking. USATF-certified 5K course and transponder-timed. Festivities before and after event. Portion of proceeds benefit Mokena Park Foundation’s new Showdown Scholarship. Call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice 6th annual 5K Family Fun Run/Walk – May 19, New Lenox Village Commons, 1 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. Check-in is at 8 a.m. Run/walk is at 9 a.m. All ages. Register by May 7 at www.joliethospice.org.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice Peace of the Heart Kids Camp – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 18 to 21, C.W. Avery YMCA and IRA Jones Middle School, Plainfield. Free. Lunch included. For ages 7 to 13 who had the death of loved one. Limit 25 children. To register, contact Mary Ann Burns at 815-740-3282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Joliet Area Community Hospice Peace of the Heart Teen Camp – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 11 to 12, C.W. Avery YMCA and IRA Jones Middle School, Plainfield. Free. Lunch included. For ages 14 to 18 who had death of loved one. To register, contact Mary Ann Burns at 815-740-3282 or email@example.com.
• Stroke Awareness Night – 6:05 p.m., 1 Mayor Art Schultz Drive, Joliet. $10. Includes admission and the following: blood pressure screening, cholesterol and blood sugar screening, stroke education and screening, smoking cessation, nutrition education. Proceeds support local AFTERGLOW Stroke Support Group. Contact Sheryl Burcenski to purchase tickets call (815) 725-7133 ext. 3163 or e-mail Sheryl.firstname.lastname@example.org
• Yoga Triathlon – 9 a.m. to noon, May 26, Dellwood Park, Route 171 and Woods Drive, Lockport. Free 5K run/walk, 1 hour all-levels yoga practice and 20 minute guided meditation. Benefits NAMI Will Grundy to train counselors to assist those suffering from mental illness. For information, contact Living Water Yoga at @livingwateryoga or 815-341-7554.
• UNITE’s Arrive Alive Tour – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Joliet Junior College, A-Patio, 1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet. High-tech simulator, impact video, and a number of other resources to educate the public about the dangers of texting while driving and intoxicated driving. For more information, visit http://arrivealivetour.com/unite/.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also May 8, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group – 11 a.m., Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Art therapy – Noon to 1:45 p.m.; also May 8, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Facilitated by Kathleen Daly, registered art therapist. To register and for information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 5:45 to 6:15 p.m., meeting is at 6:30 p.m.; also May 1, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. For information, call Linda at 630-877-7943.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m., also May 8, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org/our-services/other-services/birthing-center.
• Free Carpal Tunnel Screenings – Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago at Silver Cross, Pavilion A, New Lenox. For appointments, call 815-300-7110.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Breastfeeding Mother’s Support Group at PSJMC – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Auditorium B, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Weekly group. Call the lactation line at 815-725-7133 ext. 3890.
• Sit & Stay Fit Chair Exercises – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Crest Hill Library, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. For information, call 815-552-4284 or visit www.whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Positive People: 3:30 to 5 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, Cancer Care Center's conference room, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. For cancer patients and family/caregivers. Free. For more information call, 877-737-INFO (4636).
• Bartending for a Cure – 5 to 7 p.m., Gatto's Restaurant and Bar, 1938 E. Lincoln Highway, New Lenox. Presented by Will County Board for a Cure.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Brain Injury Support Group – 6 p.m., Easter Seals Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Prepared Childbirth – Event is 6 to 9 p.m. May 2 and 9, Morris Hospital, boardroom, 150 W. High St., Morris. $60. For registration and information, call For information, call 815-705-7301 or visit www.morrishospital.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
• Free Zumba Demo Class – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. 16 and up. To register for the free class and to register for regular classes, call 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 9 to 10:45 a.m., Troy Township Community Center, 25448 Seil Road, Shorewood. For information, call Kathy at 815-210-5742 or Judy at 815-744-2068.
• Cradle Talk – 10 to 11 a.m., Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 815 South Washington St., Naperville. Weekly support group for new parents and their babies, ages 0-6 months. Led by an Edward Hospital mother/baby nurse. Guest speakers. Weekly topics. Special events. Bring newborn with you. For information, call 630-527-3957 or visit www.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby/resources/cradle-talk.
• Heart Failure Support Group – 10 to 11 a.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 W. High Street, Morris. This month a Morris Hospital pharmacist will discuss “Heart Failure Medications.” Free. To register or for more information, call 815-705-7832.
• BreathTakers Support Group – 2 to 3 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. For anyone with a lung program. Topics may include COPD, breathing techniques and exercise, medications and oxygen, lung transplants or surgery. For more information, call 815-725-7133 ext. 3090. Press option 4.
• Epilepsy Awareness Game – 4:30 p.m., Lincoln-Way Central Knights Softball Team will host the Lincoln-Way West Warriors. Knight and Warrior players and coaches will wear purple to support epilepsy awareness. The idea for the game was prompted by Lincoln-Way East graduate Lauren Knepper (2012), who began having seizures shortly after she started college.
• Eat This, Not That – 6 to 7;30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Presented by Chef Lesley Shworles. Convert favorite meals, desserts, snacks. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Spousal Loss Group – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Joliet Area Community Hospital, 250 Water Stone Circle, Joliet. For information, call Mary Ann Burns at 815-460-3282.
• Mental Health Awareness – 6 to 7 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Understand how to guide and balance your well-being. Adults. Register at jolietlibrary.org or call 815-740-2660.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Strong by Zumba free class registration deadline – Event is 9 to 10 a.m., May 5, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. 16 and up. To register for the free class and to register for regular classes, call 708-390-2343 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Breastfeeding Support Group – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, Pavilion A, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Hosted by certified lactation consultants. Free. Infants welcome. First-time participants register at www.silvercross.org or 888-660-HEAL (4325).
• Optimizing Brain Fitness – 3 p.m., The Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Total of 12 lectures through June.Facilitated by Linda McCluskey. To register or for more information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Dentistry From The Heart – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Atrium Family Dental, 1938 E Lincoln Hwy Suite 104, New Lenox. Free dental care for adults. For more information, call 815-462-9990.
• The Art of Breastfeeding – 9 a.m. to noon, Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. $20. To register and for more information, call 877-737-4636.
• Derby Day Horseshoe Hunt – 10 a.m. to noon May 5. Begin and end at Carson Tap House, 823 Liberty St., Morris. $25 a two-to four-person team. Children older than 6 welcome with adult. Benefits Joliet Area Community Hospice. Register by April 21 at www.joliethospice.org or contact Mary Rossio at 815-641-6315 or email@example.com.
• Sensory Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Mokena Community Public Library District, 11327 W 195th St, Mokena. For children with sensory issues and a parent. Ages prekindergarten through 9. Limit 10 children. To register, please call 708-479-9663 or register through the events calendar at www.mokenalibrary.org.
• Gluten Free Support Group – 10 a.m. to noon, Edward Plainfield Outpatient Center,
24160 127th St. Plainfield. Monthly meetings for those living with celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Free. For information, visit glutenfreewikaduke.blogspot.com.
• Family Birthing Suites Tour – Noon to 1 p.m., Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, 333 N. Madison St., Joliet. Free. To register or for more information, call 877-737-4636.
. • Breakfast and Craft Show – 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Center for Disability Services, 311 S. Reed St., Joliet. Pancakes, sausage, biscuits and gravy. $7 adults; $4 seniors and children under age 10. Carryouts available. Craft show runs to 2 p.m. Benefits benefit children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. For information, contact Gina Wysocki at 815-744-3500, ext. 220, or firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.cdsil.org.
• NAMI Connection Support Group – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. For adults living with mental illness. Free. Contact NAMI Will Grundy at 815-731-9103 or email@example.com.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Joliet) – 6 p.m., Presence St. Joseph Medical Center, LDRP Classroom, 222 Madison St., Joliet. Free. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Stretch & Tone – 8:30 to 9 a.m., Senior Services of Will County Main Office, 251 N. Center St., Joliet. Lower impact class that offers cardio, stretching, weigh training, and balance exercises. For information, call 815-723-9713 or visit willcountyseniors.org.
• Hines Veterans Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Morris American Legion Hall 212 W Washington St., Morris. Information and services. For more information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission at 815-941-3152.
• Introduction to Breastfeeding – 9 to 10 a.m., Morris Hospital, Family Birthing Suites classroom, 150 W. High Street, Morris. Taught by an obstetrical nurse/certified lactation consultant. Nursing mothers may bring infants. Free. Register at www.morrishospital.org/events. For more information, call 815-942-3012.
• Tai Chi – 2:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood retirement community, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free and open to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 5:15 to 6:45 p.m., Romeoville Police Department, 900 Romeo Road, Romeoville. For more information, call Sandie at 815-886-9252.
• Epilepsy Support Group – 6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 W. High St., Morris. Contact Erika Fleck at 815-414-8655 or email@example.com or visit www.epilepsyheartland.org.
• Prediabetes Education Class – 6 to 7 p.m., Morris Hospital, Whitman Assembly Room 2, 150 W. High St., Morris. Led by a diabetes educator. Free. To register and for more information, call 815-705-7367 or visit www.morrishospital.org.
• Bipolar Disease Support Group – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Behavioral Health Services, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. First time participants register at 1-888-660-HEAL (4325) or visit www.silvercross.org.
• When Wounds Won't Heal – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Presenter: Dr. Erik Borncamp, general surgeon. Register to attend at http://ow.ly/69yk30jHpj4.