Joliet West library recently hosted an Arts & Communication Academy Week.
The Arts & Communication Academy Week is the third of a series of Academy Weeks that Joliet West librarians, Amy Lingafelter and Amy Walsh, host in collaboration with academy coordinators throughout the year.
• Career Panel: Students heard from community members working in the fields of journalism, radio, theater, music and graphic design.
• Theater Performance Day: Two Speech Team students performed during each advisory period. They also led students from advisory classes in theater activities such as improv and charades.
• Colossal Crafternoon: Students from Joliet West’s art classes assisted their peers in a day dedicated to various art forms in the library. Students from advisory classes had the opportunity to work with a variety of art mediums and learned about the art classes available to them.
• Photography, technology and art. Students from photography and journalism partnered to explore various recording, film, photography and other art tech tools in the library.
• Music Day in the Library: The JTHS orchestra performed in the library. Students from advisory classes had the opportunity to play various instruments with instruction from musicians in the band and orchestra. Later, students stopped in the library to hear a live performance from the Joliet West Women’s choir.
All week students had photography, art, and issues of Tiger Tales Newspaper, West’s Literary magazine and yearbooks on display.