• Dog Training classes – Francis Field Youth Foundation Building, 801 E. Francis Road, New Lenox. 5:30 p.m. puppy class, 6:30 p.m. beginner class, 6:30 p.m. group heeling and obedience exercises. Advance level training is 5 to 7:30 p.m. Contact Carolyn McGuire at 815-922-3058 or email@example.com.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m.; also Nov. 12, Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer (for a short training). Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• “Secret Lives of Bees” exhibit – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays through Nov. 30, Plum Creek Nature Center, 27064 S. Dutton Road, Crete Township near Beecher. For information, visit reconnectwithnature.org.
• Critters Classes: Amphibians – 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Tuesdays, through Nov. 27, Program Center, 10925 La Porte Road, Mokena. Classes taught by Crosstown Exotics. No open toed shoes. Ages 6 to 12. For registration and information, call 708-390-2401 or visit www.mokenapark.com.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart, Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. Cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Turtle Time!” registration deadline – Event is 1 to 2 p.m. Nov. 10, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. A naturalist will teach about turtles and their habits, and then check out the museum’s 300-gallon turtle aquarium and its resident Blanding’s turtles. Free. All ages. Register at reconnectwithnature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Volunteer Orientation – 10 to 11 a.m., Joliet Township Animal Control, 2807 McDonough St., Joliet. All new volunteers must attend orientation. We will go through the necessary paperwork, have a tour of the facility, go through policies and safety procedures and have a Q&A session. For information, call 815-725-0333 or email firstname.lastname@example.org