• Dinosaur Scavenger Hunt – 9 to 8:30 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Find all the dinosaurs that are hiding in children’s services to win a prize! All ages, preschoolers with an adult. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer (for a short training). Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• “Secret Lives of Bees” exhibit – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesdays through Saturdays, and noon to 4 p.m. Sundays through Nov. 30, Plum Creek Nature Center, 27064 S. Dutton Road, Crete Township near Beecher. For information, visit reconnectwithnature.org.
• “Owl Pellet Dissection” registration deadline – Event is 6 to 7 p.m., Nov. 15, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville, Owl pellets are a visual representation of the food chain in action. Investigate the connections between owls and their environment and dissect a pellet yourself. Tools and pellets will be provided. 10 and up. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart, Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. Cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Dunes Bird Hike” registration deadline – Event is 8 to 10 a.m., Nov. 18, at the Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Braidwood Dunes and Savanna Nature Preserve. Learn about birds from a naturalist and other like-minded birders as while taking a 1- to 2-mile bird hike through Braidwood Dunes.18 and up. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• “You Don’t Know Scat!” registration deadline – Event is 2 to 3 p.m., Nov. 17, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Participants will be taught how to ID animal scat and make a “scat” seed bomb to take home. 8 and up. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Read with Frog the Dog – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Sign up for 15 minute slots to read to Frog, a TDI certified therapy dog. For information, call 815-467-1600 or visit www.trpld.org.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit www.spayillinois.org.