• The Troy Middle School S.L.A.M. Club is accepting donations of dog and cat products, such as canned and dry dog, puppy, cat and kitten food (with no red dye); dog and cat treats and toys; cat litter; pet shampoo; blankets and towels; paper towels; and food and supplies for rabbits,hamsters and guinea pigs. Bring supplies to 5800 W. Theodore St., Plainfield, during normal school hours through May 6. The supplies will be donated to the Will County Humane Society when the club visits the facility in the spring.
• "The Elephant Whisperer – 1:30 to 3 p.m., White Oak Library District, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. Book discussion. Contact Michelle Herring at 815-552-4260 or email@example.com or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Saving America’s Smallest Falcon – Pilcher Park Nature Center, 2501 Highland Park Drive
Joliet. Social time is 6 p.m. Bird Q&A/Sightings is 6:15 p.m. Business meeting is 6:30 p.m. Program is 7 p.m. Presenter: Taylor Joray, wildlife technician. Topic: American Kestrel, including biology and ecology, their current status throughout North America, conservation efforts and Kestrel nest box program in Kane County. Free and open to the public. Visit willcountyaudubon.org.
• Open Viewing – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Bird Hike – 8 to 10 a.m., Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, 25055 W Walnut Lane, Channahon. Short presentation. 1 to 2-mile walk over uneven terrain. Bring binoculars and field guide. 18 and up. Free. Register by May 9 at reconnectwithnature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing" – 8 a.m. to noon, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve, Plainfield. Bring own binoculars. Free. All ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Adoption Event – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Louis Joliet Mall, 3400 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. Hopeful Tails will be located in the Live 360 space next to the former Sears location. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Chipotle Fundraiser for NAWS – 4 to 8 p.m., Chipotle Mexican Grill, 15980 Harlem Ave, Tinley Park. Mention NAWS of Illinois and 33% of the bill will be donated to the Mokena-based animal rescue. Visit nawsus.org.