• Wooftastic Reading with Dusty – 10 to 11 a.m.; also 1 p.m., July 11, Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Call 815-942-6880 or visit morrislibrary.com.
• Design and Create a Pet Place Mat – 10 a.m. to noon, Frankfort Public Library District, 21119 S Pfeiffer Road, Frankfort. Learn the basics of using a Silhouette Cameo to cut a variety of images. Staff will laminate. All materials provided. Call 815-534-6173 or visit frankfortlibrary.org.
• Prairie Stories Chalk Art –10 a.m. to noon, Noon, Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Iron Bridge Trailhead, Wilmington. Draw a bison in chalk, hear tales about animals that live on the prairie, share animal stories, create chalk art on the sidewalks in the Welcome Center gardens. Ages 5 to 10. Call 815-423-6370.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Creeker Seekers” registration deadline – Event is 1 to 3 p.m., July 12, Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Flip over rocks, count frogs, meet fishy friends and hike on preserve trails. Overnight camping available. Free. All ages. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 708-946-2216.
• Sea Shell Turtles – 6 to 7:30 p.m., White Oak Public Library District, 201 Normantown Road, Romeoville. Make a beach-themed turtle bale out of sea shells. Visit whiteoaklibrary.org or contact Nicholas Vidmar at firstname.lastname@example.org
• “Birding by Boat (Intermediate) registration deadline – Event is 8 to 10 a.m., July 13, Rock Run Rookery Preserve, Joliet. Previous kayaking experience is required. All equipment provided. Ages 18 and up. $20. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• Open Viewing – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• The Great Pawsby Night Fundraiser – 6 to 10 p.m., Northwest Recreation Club (NRC), 1265 Cora St., Joliet. Food, drinks, desserts, raffles, an animal art auction, music, dancing. $15 at door. Includes food and 10 raffle tickets. 18 and up. Roaring 20s-themed attire encouraged. Cash bar, no ATM on site. Benefits Wish Upon a Rescue and Have a Heart Dog Rescue & Adoption.
• “Dragonflies and Ice Cream” registration deadline – Event is 1 to 3 p.m., July 14, Monee Reservoir. Take a guided 1-mile hike to look for and learn about dragonflies, and then cool down with an ice cream treat. All ages. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 708-534-8499.
• “Firefly Hike for Families" registration deadline – Event is 7 to 9 p.m., July 16, Hickory Creek Preserve – LaPorte Road Access (Hickory Hollow Shelter), Mokena. All ages. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 708-946-2216.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing" – 8 a.m. to noon, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve, Plainfield. Bring own binoculars. Free. All ages.
• Bison Hikes – 11 a.m., Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Iron Bridge Trailhead, Wilmington. Ranger-guided hike to look for the bison. Learn about Midewin’s unique past, present and future in a fun and interactive way. Call 815-423-6370.
• Pet Fest & Car Show – Noon to 9 p.m., 700 Theodore St., Joliet. Many animal rescues, silent auction and 50/50, animal product vendors, low cost vaccine clinic, car show, food, beer garden, raffles, kids section with face painting and cold blooded creatures, DJ and bands. Visit this event on Facebook.
• Family Pet Photo Day – 2 to 4 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Bring your pooches, felines and other cherished family members to have their photo taken. You'll get a digital file. This is an outdoor event, weather permitting. Pets are not allowed in the library. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Home Run Inn Fundraising Day – 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., Home Run Inn Pizza, 1280 W Boughton Road, Bolingbrook. Dine-in or carryout. Mention Hopeful Tails and 20% is donated back to the rescue. Visit this event on Facebook.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visit www.spayillinois.org.