Work had also begun on the 142-foot long Boy Scout log cabin, with the help of the Joliet Kiwanis Club. Highland Park's drives, their "sharp turns, narrow roads and steep grades," built originally for horse-drawn vehicles, were widened and modernized.
By 1925, the park was a popular location for band concerts and construction on the Scout cabin had continued. In 1926, a three-net tennis court and five large pieces of playground equipment, along with a playground attendant, were added to Highland Park.
The log cabin was completed in 1927 and by 1929, 35 Boy Scout troops in Joliet, along with six Girl Scout troops and six troops from nearby towns, were using the log cabin for their meetings.