• The Plainfield Park District is celebrating the end of summer with a photo contest. Snap a pic or two of your four-legged friends at one of our dog parks and then share it with us on social mediausing the hash tag#PPDpets by Aug. 31.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visit spayillinois.org.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Brownie Scout: Bugs Badge" registration deadline – Event is 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., Aug. 24, Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Participants will complete a bug craft, search for bug homes and use sweep nets and bug boxes to observe bugs during the 90-minute program, which fulfills the Girl Scout Brownies Bugs Badge. Ages 7 to 9; group rates apply: $25 non-profits/$50 for-profits. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• “Hikin’ With Your Hound" registration deadline – Event is 6-7:30 p.m., Aug. 23, Forked Creek Preserve – Ballou Road Access, Wilmington. Enjoy a 1-2 mile evening walk with an interpretive naturalist and your pup as you explore the landscape. Spend the last half-hour letting your dogs play in the dog park during a special, no-permit-required session. Park in the dog park parking lot. Free; all ages. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• “Breakfast with the Hummingbirds" – 10 a.m. to noon, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Experience hummingbirds as they zip back and forth sipping from feeders and flowers in the nature center's bird and butterfly garden. Learn to attract hummingbirds to your yard. Coffee and pastries provided. Free; all ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org
• Dog Days of Summer – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., White Oak Library District, Crest Hill. Rescue organizations, veterinary services, small business retailers. Library-related activities like abandanna station, cooling stations, peanut butter licking competition, costume and trick contests, mini agility course, raffles. Co-sponsoredby PetSmart Joliet. Doggie swag bags for first 200 people. Well-behaved owners and their dogs who are current on their shots are welcome. Noretractable leashes. For more information, contact Amy Byrne at 815-552-4278 or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Volunteer Orientation – 10 to 11 a.m., Joliet Township Animal Control, 2807 McDonough St., Joliet. For new volunteers. Paperwork, tour of facility, policies and safety procedures, Q&A. For information, call 815-725-0333 or email email@example.com.
• Hopeful Tails at Macy's Ultimate Shopping Event – 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Macy's 3340 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Bath Fundraiser – 1 to 4 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For prices and information, visit the rescue on Facebook or visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.