Mikayla Ahern at a glance
• Early childhood – Sang "The National Anthem" for her family in kindergarten and sang at a fifth grade talent show.
• Junior high school – Sang in the choir at Timber Ridge Middle School and at the School of Rock in Plainfield, took lessons with Denise Gillespie of Morris.
• Age 13 – Joined a band (No Exscape) and became its lead singer. The band performed at a variety of charities, festivals and venues.
• Age 14: Auditioned for – and was accepted into – GRAMMY camp in Nashville, Tennessee as a vocalist, where she collaborated with other artists and released a single, Ahern also spent a month at the rock singer/songwriter camp at Interlochen Arts Academy in Michigan. Here Ahern found a passion for composing and writing her own original songs.
• 2016: Performed at Carnegie Hall with the Honors Performance Series.
• 2018: Auditioned for Celebration of Music Chicago (more on release) with videos of three songs: "Give it All" by Rise Against, "Skinny Love" by Birdy, and "Magic," an Ahern original.
• Currently: Completed an online singer/songwriter mastermind program based in New York. Takes lessons from JoEllyn Caulfield of Naperville.