JOLIET – Police are seeking additional information about a fatal shooting Sunday.
“We are seeking the public’s help to identify any suspects in this homicide or any connection to other recent homicides,” Deputy Chief Al Roechner said Tuesday.
About 3:15 p.m., Terion D. Steward, 21, and his 15-year-old brother were walking near McDonough and Joliet streets when they were ambushed in a drive-by shooting. The car was described as a dark-colored sedan.
Steward was hit twice and later pronounced dead at Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center. His brother was struck in the right foot and is expected to survive. Roechner said the teen did not provide any description of his attackers.
In January 2013, Steward was arrested after admitting to taking part in a gunfight in the 200 block of North Eastern Avenue. Steward reportedly called detectives and said he’d been shooting in self defense at a man on a nearby porch.
Steward pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and was sentenced to 18 months in prison, according to Will County court records. His conviction was later vacated after he spent 140 days in custody.
Steward’s slaying comes two weeks after Keon D. Kelly, 30, and Tariq J. Purnell, 17, were fatally shot in an ambush in the 400 block of Strong Avenue.
Kelly, Purnell and an 18-year-old Joliet man were standing near a silver Buick in a driveway when all three were shot. The 18-year-old survived. Kelly and Purnell were both shot multiple times.
Purnell was a senior attending the Joliet Township High School Alternate School alternate school. Court records show Kelly was a registered sex offender. He also pleaded guilty to aggravated unlawful use of a weapon in 2006 and was sentenced to three years in prison.
Anyone with information is encouraged to contact detectives at 815-724-3020 or anonymously call CrimeStoppers at 800-323-6734. CrimeStoppers offers rewards of up to $5,000 for information leading to an arrest.
2014 HOMICIDES IN JOLIET
• May 4: Dameon D. Anderson, 27, was fatally shot during an argument outside a party in the first block of Mississippi Avenue. Donald M. Woods faces weapons charges, but authorities did not pursue murder charges because Anderson was also armed during the confrontation.
• June 3: Markus C. Tanzy, 25, was shot to death while smoking a cigarette on a porch behind a residence in the 100 block of South Joliet Street. No one has been arrested.
• July 19: Jonathan Q. Adams, 25, was found shot multiple times in the 200 block of Fourth Avenue. No one has been arrested.
• Aug. 31: Sharleatha Green, 34, was stabbed to death at her residence in the 200 block of North Eastern Avenue. The roommate Green was having evicted, Kadiedra S. Speed, has been arrested on a murder charge.
• Sept. 3: Joslyn Woods, 20, was stabbed to death in a laundry room at the Evergreen Terrace housing project. Drumaine McKinley, who allegedly arranged to meet Woods for a sexual encounter through a website, is facing murder charges.
• Nov. 27: Dante Campbell, 34, was found shot multiple times near Henderson and Chase avenues. At the time of his death, Campbell was on parole for five weeks from his fourth prison term for drug dealing. No one has been arrested.
• Dec. 2: Keon D. Kelly, 30, and Tariq J. Purnell, 17, were fatally ambushed while standing in a driveway in the 400 block of Strong Avenue. No one has been arrested.
This story was changed to correct the name of the school that Tariq J. Purnell attended. The Herald-News regrets the error.