Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Local content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Man shot by police officer in Joliet has died

JOLIET — The man who was shot by police while allegedly pulling a gun Monday has died.

Shaquille C. Barrow, 20, died at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday at Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center, according to Joliet Police Chief Brian Benton.

A police officer was frisking Barrow about 4:30 p.m. Monday near First Avenue and Richards Street when he noticed the butt of a handgun sticking out of his pocket, Benton said. Barrow and Shawn M. Miller, 21, had been stopped because they reportedly matched the description of suspects in a theft that had just been called in from the 100 block of Mississippi Avenue.

"The victim was following [Barrow and Miller] in her vehicle and said they'd threatened to shoot her," Benton said.

A back-up officer arrived shortly after the first officer stopped Barrow and Miller. The first officer drew his Taser and ordered Barrow not to move, but the suspect fled from the officer, Benton said.

"As the officer gave chase and ordered the suspect to halt, he observed the suspect retrieving the handgun from his pocket at which time the officer fired out of fear for his safety and the safety of others in the area," Benton said.

Barrow was struck twice. Police said a loaded .357 magnum handgun was recovered from him at the scene.

Police say Barrow was a self-admitted gang member with a lengthy criminal history, including nine arrests and three convictions, including two for weapons offenses. Barrow was on parole for aggravated unlawful use of a weapon when he was shot.

The officer also was taken to an area hospital, where he was treated and released for injuries that were not life-threatening.

Miller allegedly fled the scene after the shooting. A warrant for his arrest was issued Tuesday on charges of theft, obstructing justice and assault. The warrant carries a $30,000 bond.

"As is standard in all officer-involved deadly force incidents, there will be two investigations of this incident," Benton said Tuesday. "A criminal investigation into the shooting will take place to ensure that the actions taken by the officer were in accordance with Illinois law. After which an administrative investigation will take place to ensure that the officer was in compliance with police department policy."

The officers involved will be placed on administrative leave pending review.

"A deadly force incident is an inherent risk of the job in the policing profession and is one that police officers train for but hope to never be a part of," Benton said in a statement. "The officers involved are doing well. The Police Department’s thoughts and prayers are with the officer, his family, and our entire Police Department, as they are with the loved ones of the deceased."

Loading more