Twenty student artists from Plainfield Central, South and East high schools won 36 regional awards in the prestigious 2019 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.
The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards allows seventh through 12th grade students nationwide to submit works of art or writing for the chance to win scholarships and have their work published or exhibited by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers.
The contest is sponsored by the Scholastic book company. Entries are judged by renowned artists and writers.
More than nine million student writers and artists have been recognized since 1923.
Past winners include such art and literary luminaries as Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Richard Avedon, Robert Redford, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King and John Updike.
"Gold Key" works will now be considered for national-level recognition. National Medals will be awarded later this spring.
The top entries at the national level will be displayed this spring and summer as part of the organization's national tour.
Here are District 202's regional winners (all students are seniors except as noted):
Planfield High School – Central Campus
• Nasa Vo: One Gold Key, Drawing and Illustration
• Nasa Vo: One honorable mention, drawing and illustration
Plainfield South High School
• Brendan Bauer: one Gold Key, digital art
• Emma Jones: three Gold Keys, drawing and illustration
• Emma Jones: one Gold Key, painting
• Emma Jones: one Gold Key, art portfolio
• Samaah Khan: one Gold Key, painting
• Lindsay Moore: one Gold Key, sculpture
• Kathryne Oberg: one Gold Key, ceramics and glass
• Taylor Sears: one Gold Key, photography
• Brianna Worthley (sophomore): one Gold Key, drawing and llustration
• Elliot Grady: one Silver Key, sculpture
• Jack Grooms: one Silver Key, photography
• Brian Hoeflinger (junior): one Silver Key, sculpture
• Emma Jones: two Silver Keys, drawing and illustration
• Taylor Sears: one Silver Key, photography
• Elliot Grady: one honorable mention, ceramics and glass
• Elliot Grady: one honorable mention, sculpture
• Lindsay Moore: two honorable mentions, sculpture
• Kathryne Oberg: three honorable mentions, ceramics and glass
• Kathryne Oberg: one honorable mention, art portfolio
• Kimani Tillman: one honorable mention, mixed media
Plainfield East High School
• Delaney Drummond: one Gold Key, photography
• Oleg Bezuglov (junior): one Silver Key, painting
• Lizette Hernandez: one Silver Key, photography
• Robyn Pagulayan: one Silver Key, design
• Emmalee Randazzo: one Silver Key, photography
• Lizette Hernandez: one honorable mention, photography
• Dominic Snovicky: one honorable mention, photography
• Intan Zulkifli (junior): one honorable mention, digital art
For more information about the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, visit artandwriting.org.
For more information about Plainfield Community Consolidated School District 202, visit psd202.og.