The International Pilgrim Virgin Statue (IPVS) of Fatima, one of two “twin” statues sculpted in 1947 by famous sculptor JosÚ Thedim, will visit St. Mary Nativity Catholic Church in Joliet on April 28 and April 29.
The church is located at 702 N. Broadway St. in Joliet.
Events on April 28 include an opening procession at 5:15 p.m., a Mass at 5:30 p.m., a historical talk at 6:15 p.m. and a brown scapular enrollment at 6:30 p.m.
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, the rosary, and consecration to the hearts of Jesus and Mary will follow the enrollment.
Then on April 29, the rosary will follow the 8:30 a.m. Mass. This will be followed with time for veneration and the Angelus at noon before the statue departs.
The image of the statue, according to information sent from St. Mary Nativity, was created from the instructions of Sister Lucia, one of the shepherds who saw the Marian apparition in 1917 at Fatima.
The first statue was created in May 1947 and is now displayed at the Basilica of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal.
The second statue was blessed by Bishop of Liera in Fatima on Oct. 13, 1947 in the presence of 200,000 pilgrims at Fatima. John Haffert, co-founder of The Blue Army, who had met with Sister Lucia, first brought the statue to the United States.
Through the years, the statue has visited more than 100 countries.