A number of ceremonies will be held throughout Will County to honor fallen members of the military on Memorial Day.
The holiday formerly was known as Decoration Day and first was enacted to honor Union and Confederate soldiers after the Civil War. After World War I, the holiday was extended to include Americans who have died in all wars.
Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood will hold its annual Memorial Day program.
The program will begin with a musical prelude at 11 a.m., and the formal program will start at 11:30 a.m. Allen Lynch, a Medal of Honor recipient, will be the keynote speaker for the program.
Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery is located at 20953 W. Hoff Road in Elwood, just off Route 53. There will be roadside parking inside the cemetery grounds. A shuttle service is available.
Visitors are advised to allow extra travel time because of construction outside the cemetery entrance on Route 53.
For questions, call cemetery director Quincy McCall at 815-423-9958.
Here are some other Memorial Day events happening around Will County:
• Joliet Central High School will host an hour-long Memorial Day ceremony Monday at 11 a.m. in the gymnasium located at 201 E. Jefferson St. The public is invited and can arrive starting at 10 a.m. There will be parking in all lots. Guests should enter through the west side of the building.
• The Plainfield American Legion will honor veterans at its annual Memorial Day Parade at 10:30 a.m. Monday. The parade will begin at Ira Jones Middle School at 15320 S. Wallin Drive, continue onto the path of Settler’s Park and then end at the memorial in the park. A flag raising ceremony will occur at the memorial following the parade.
• The village of Romeoville will have a fireworks display at Mistwood Golf Club, located at 1700 Renwick Road, on Sunday. Then on Monday, a Memorial Day ceremony will be held at the Edward “Doc” McCartan Veterans Memorial at 11 Montrose Drive.
• The village of Channahon will host a Memorial Day Service from 9 a.m. until 10 a.m. Monday at Village Hall, 24555 S. Navajo Drive. Seating will be available, and the service will go on, rain or shine.
• In Bolingbrook, the annual Memorial Day Carnival will take place at Village Hall, 375 W. Briarcliff Road. The carnival will be held Friday through Monday, and tickets are $25 a person before 6 p.m. and $30 a person after 6 p.m. All proceeds will benefit the Bolingbrook Lions Club and the American Cancer Society.