• Knitting and Crocheters Nest – 6 to 8 p.m., Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Drop-in with projects. Adults. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• "The Little Mermaid" – 6 p.m., White Oak Library District, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. Family friendly movie with popcorn. Contact Terri Purcell 815-552-4290 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• INSPIRED! live lit! – Public Landing, 200 W. 8th St., Lockport. Chuck Pelkie performs at 6:30 p.m., followed by storytellers Amy Curtis Tom Hernandez, Amy Aeton, Lisa Colleen and Phyllis Porche. Free and open to the public. Visit inspiredlivelit.com.
• Good Morning Crafter – 10:30 to 11 a.m., White Oak Public Library District, 121 E. 8th St., Lockport. Children. Drop-in. Contact Jaci Kohn at 815-552-4265 email@example.com or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Bingo – 2 to 3 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 3395 Black Road, Joliet. Children of all ages. Drop-in. Call 815-846-6500 or visit jolietlibrary.libcal.com.
• Independence Celebration and Fireworks – 6 p.m. Wednesday, Billie Limacher Bicentennial Park and Theatre, 201 W. Jefferson St. Fireworks at 9:30 p.m. Parking is free around the park. Live music includes Cadillac Groove at 7 p.m., Hot Mess at 9 p.m. and Take Notice at 9:30 p.m.
• Plainfield's Patriotic Picnic and Fireworks – 6 p.m. Wednesday, Plainfield Central High School, 24120 W. Fort Beggs Drive. Wristbands for inflatables are $5. Bike parade starts at 6:30 p.m. Inflatables close at 8:15 p.m.
• Romeoville's Independence Day Celebration, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Deer Crossing Park, 1050 W. Romeo Road. Fireworks show starts at 9 p.m. at Village Park, 900 W. Romeo Road. Live music includes Anthem at 6 p.m. and Mike and Joe at 7:30 p.m.
• Writer's Group – 6 to 7:45 p.m., New Lenox Public Library, 120 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. Adults. Call 815-485-2605 or visit newlenoxlibrary.org.
• Lockport's Fireworks Show – 8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dellwood Park, Route 171 and Woods Drive. Parking is limited so carpooling is encouraged. Fireworks show starts at dusk.
• Mokena Fourth of July Parade, Celebration and Fireworks – Parade begins at 10 a.m. at the intersection of Wolf and LaPorte roads and continues north to Granite Drive. Festivities continue at 6:30 p.m. at Mokena Main Park, 10925 W. LaPorte Road. Fireworks display starts at dusk.
• Bolingbrook's All American Celebration – 3 p.m., Bolingbrook Golf Club, 2001 Rodeo Drive. The National Anthem Spectacular Fireworks Display starts at 9:25 p.m. BBQ buffet starts at 4 p.m. Free admission. Free parking. Live music includes DJ at 3 p.m., The Gina Glocksen Band at 5:30 p.m. and Semple Band at 7:45 p.m.
• Cruisin’ Frankfort – 5 to 8 p.m., Kansas & Oak Streets, downtown Frankfort. Classic cars. Visit frankfortcarclub.org.
• Fourth of July Celebration – 5 to 9:30 p.m., Main Park, Nebraska St., Frankfort. Fireworks begin at 9 p.m. Live music, kid-friendly games, concessions.
• Channahon's Independence Day Celebration – 6 p.m. to 9:15 p.m., Channahon Community Park, 23304 W. McClintock Road. Festivities begin with children's freedom parade. Live music includes Dick Diamond and the Dusters at 6 p.m. Fireworks start at 9:15 p.m.
• Joliet’s 73rd annual Fourth of July – Gates open 6 p.m. Fireworks show begins at 9:20 p.m., Joliet Memorial Stadium, 3000 W. Jefferson St. Gates open at 6 p.m. Admission is free. Parking is available in the east and west lots.
• New Lenox's Independence Day Celebration – 6 p.m., New Lenox Village Hall, 1 Veterans Parkway. Live music includes rock cover band Epic at 6 p.m. and the Joliet American Legion Band. Fireworks start at approximately 9:30 p.m.
• Free Minecraft Gathering – 2 to 4 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 W. Ottawa St., Joliet. Grades three to seven. Call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.libcal.com.
• Hope Helps All Inclusive Park grand opening – 9 a.m. to noon, 460 S. Illinois St., Coal City. Ribbon cutting, sponsor announcements, DJ, face painting, balloon artist, mini sports camp, treats, playground fun. Free. Visit facebook.com/Hopehelps.
• Escape Room – 1:30 to 6:30 p.m.,Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave. Minooka. Can you beat the clock? Rooms will increase in difficulty for each age group. This event is designed for ages seven to 10. Register at 815-467-1600 or trpld.org.
• Story Podcasts – Hosted by Three Rivers Public Library District, Channahon. Listen to a podcast each week to hear stories read by our librarians. To listen, visit trpldsrp2019.podomatic.com. For information, call 815-467-6200 or visit trpld.org.
• “Living History Demonstrations" – Noon to 3 p.m., Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Isle a la Cache Museum. Re-enactors from the museum’s volunteer brigade portray life during the 18th-century French fur trade era. Registration not required. Free, all-ages. For information, visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Cricut Stencil Design Class – 1 to 2 p.m., Shorewood-Troy Public Library, 650 Deerwood Drive, Shorewood. 18 and up. Visit website for design choices. Call 815-725-1715 or visit shorewoodtroylibrary.org.
• Monday Creative Creations – 1:30 to 2:30 p.m., White Oak Library District, 201 Normantown Road, Romeoville. All ages. Contact Jessica Smith at 815-552-4210 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• “Little Explorers" registration deadline – Event is 10 to 11:30 a.m., Jan. 9, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, Channahon, Nature-themed activities. Geared to ages 3 to 5. Younger children welcome. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.