The Lions Club motto is “we serve” and the Lockport the Lions Club has been serving our community since 1939 which means this is its 80th year in operation.
It started out as a men’s club but in 2013 its first female member, Carol Richards joined. Nina D’Adamo followed in 2015. On May 22, D’Adamo became the club's first elected president on May 22.
Over the past two years, Ron Cornolo, the outgoing president, grew membership by adding seven female members.
D’Adamo has lived in Lockport for six years and has lived in the Orland Park area for more than 37 years. She attended Moraine Valley CC and the Art Institute of Chicago for degrees in fine art and marketing.
She currently works full-time as a certified technical trainer for Ricoh USA and part-time as a weekend receptionist for Marian Village in Homer Glen.
The Lockport Lions Club traditionally gives away two scholarships to graduates of Lockport High School, but this year because of growth in membership and fundraising events, the club gave away four scholarships.
The Lockport Lions Club has more than 30 members and meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Thursdays from September through May at the Public Landing Restaurant in Lockport.
Monies raised from the club's Candy Day, our annual spaghetti dinner, the Lockport Easter Egg Hunt and the Thanksgiving Eve Dance, allows the Lions to meet pressing needs in our community including free hearing aids, aiding the blind and visual impaired and awarding multiple scholarships to deserving graduates of Lockport High School.
Lions Clubs International has more than 1.3 million members in about 45,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world.
For information, call D’Adamo at 708-536-0449.