Digital Access

Digital Access
Access and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Local News

Lockport Township man arrested after hourslong standoff, bond set at $200K

AR-15, pistol seized, deputies say; judge sets bond at $200K

A Will County judge set a $200,000 bond for a man charged with barricading himself inside his home after firing a rifle at cinder blocks in his backyard and threatening dispatchers that he would shoot at sheriff’s deputies.

Ryan Gass, 35, was booked into the Will County jail shortly before 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Will County Deputy Chief Dan Jungles said Gass shot at cinder blocks in the backyard of his home while highly intoxicated Monday afternoon in the 2700 block of Lawrence Avenue in Lockport Township.

Deputies responded to the scene at about 4:30 p.m. after receiving reports of shots fired.

The deputies said they were initially unable to locate anyone but did see an AR-15-style rifle inside Gass’ residence.

Gass called police dispatchers and said there would be a shootout if deputies came by his property again, Jungles said.

Gass refused to leave his home during an hourslong standoff that ended with his surrender about
10 p.m., police said.

Deputies recovered the AR-15 and a pistol, as well as multiple shell casings around his property and neighboring properties, police said.

Even though Gass has no criminal history and had a valid firearm owner’s identification card, Assistant State’s Attorney Anthony Ficarelli requested Judge Chrystel Gavlin set Gass’ bond at $500,000.

“The state looks at this as an extremely toxic situation that put the residents of that neighborhood in jeopardy,” Ficarelli said, and said that it was by the “grace of God” that no one was injured.

Gavlin said she understood the severity of the allegations but said she had to “balance that with what he’s charged with.” The state’s attorney’s office charged Gass with two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm, a low-level felony charge.

Gavlin set bond at $200,000, an amount she said was much higher than she would normally set for that type of case. Gass needs to post $20,000 for his release.

“I can’t afford $20,000,” Gass told Gavlin, who later said he might lose his job as a result of the arrest.

Conditions of Gass’ bond require him to surrender his FOID card, firearms and ammunition.

Dawn Muller, 49, who lives across the street from Gass’ residence, said she and her family were home during the incident. She said all entrances onto Lawrence Avenue were blocked and there were about seven or eight police officers in and around her backyard with their weapons pointed at Gass’ house.

Muller said she returned from getting an X-ray on her broken leg that afternoon and police on the scene allowed her access to her house, warning her to “get in and get low.” Muller said that she, her daughter and her daughter’s boyfriend stayed inside on the couch in her living room and watched as the situation unfolded.

At one point, she said she told police she had to let her dog, Django, outside to relieve himself because they had been indoors for several hours. Muller said the gunshots scared Django and he was still shaken the next morning.

Muller said she and her family watched as Gass was taken into custody. They hadn’t seen any movement inside the house but did see the “red lasers” from the police weapons pointed at the residence.

When Gass emerged from the house, Muller said, he was wearing a T-shirt and boxers, and he didn’t appear to be impaired.

“He walked out scared but calm,” she said.

Muller said she wasn’t even aware that anyone was living at the house until Monday. She said her neighbors were generally quiet people.

“It’s really sad,” Muller said.

Loading more