• Sea Shell Animals – 5 to 6 p.m., White Oak Library District, 20670 Len Kubinski Drive, Crest Hill. Ages 5 to 9. Call Nereida Angel at 815-552-4290 or visit whiteoaklibrary.org.
• Critter Class registration deadline – Event is 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., Aug 6 to Aug. 27, Program Center, 10925 La Porte Road, Mokena. Taught by Crosstown Exotics. Ages 6 to 12. Register at 708-390-2401 or mokenapark.com.
• “Follow a Bee!” registration deadline – Event is 9:30 to 11 a.m., Aug. 1, Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, Channahon. Discover pollinators that help the prairie by participating in activities and tracking busy bees. Free. Families with children ages 6 and up. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-722-9470.
• Bird's the Word – 10 a.m. to noon, Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Wilmington. Learn about the insects, amphibians and mammals that are essential to the prairie ecosystem.Ages 6 to 12. Call 815-423-6370.
• “Reptiles of the Dunes" registration deadline – Event is 6 to 7 p.m., July 31, Braidwood Dunes and Savanna Nature Preserve, Braid. Explore the home of the six-lined racerunner, learn about cool reptiles and understand why they have chosen this nature preserve as their home. Free. Age 5 and up. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or 815-722-9470.
• Pond Life – 10 a.m. to noon, Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Wilmington. Learn about the birds of Midewin and their different habitats. Participate in hands-on activities, use binoculars, and take a short birding hike. Ages 6 to 12. Call 815-423-6370.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Butterfly Garden for Adults" – Event is 6 to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 3, Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Discover the basics of attracting monarchs, swallowtails and more to your yard. Bring an adult beverage to enjoy. Free. 21 and up. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• “Reservoir Frogs" – 10 a.m. to noon, Aug. 3, Monee Reservoir. See frogs close up and learn how to find and watch them without having them hop away. Free. All age. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 708-534-8499.
• “Lake Renwick Bird Viewing" – 8 a.m. to noon, Forest Preserve District of Will County’s, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve, Plainfield. Bring own binoculars. Free. All ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Morning Bird Hike" – 7:30 to 9:30 a.m., Monee Reservoir. Join a naturalist to search for birds. 18 and up. Free. Registration not required. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Monarch Way Stations” – Noon to 2 p.m., Hickory Creek Barrens Nature Preserve, New Lenox. Identify milkweed hot spots that provide valuable habitat and nectar sources for monarchs. Free. All ages. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Meet a Beekeeper” – 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Mike Rusnak will discuss beekeeping. Q&A. 18 and older. Free. Registration is not required. For information, visitReconnectWithNature.org.