• “Little Explorers" registration deadline – Event is Aug. 14. 90-minute sessions start at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., Four Rivers Environmental Education Center, Channahon. Topic: Magic of spiders. Ages 3-5, but younger children are welcome. Register atReconnectWithNature.orgor call 815-722-9470.
• Landscaping for Birds and Butterflies – 6 to 8 p.m., Morris Area Public Library, 604 Liberty St., Morris. Presented by The Conservation Foundation. Adults. Call 815-942-6880 or visit morrislibrary.com.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Bird Buddies" – Event is 10 to 11 a.m., Aug. 16, Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Participants will build giant playtime bird nests, enjoy storytime and take a short hike to look for birds. Free; ages 3 to 5. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• Free Hummingbird Festival – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Sagawau Field Science Center, West 111th St., Lemont. Capture, banding and release of hummingbirds by a licensed bander and avian ecologist until. Children’s crafts, hummingbird videos, hiking trails, exhibits. Hosted by e Will County Audubon Society and Cook County Forest Preserve District. Call 630-257-2045.
• Paws to Read – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m., Three Rivers Public Library District, 109 Wabena Ave., Minooka. Register at 815-467-1600 or trpld.org.
• "Hummingbird Fest & Nature Celebration" – 1 to 5 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center in Crete Township. For full list of activities, visit ReconnectWithNature.org
• Joliet Slammers Pet Days Game – Noon to 4 p.m., DuPage Medical Group Field, Joliet. Appearance before Slammers game. For tickets, visit jolietslammers.com or 815-722-2287.
• Affordable pet vaccines – 5 to 8 p.m., 2 Paws 4 U Pet Bakery, 1736 Essington Road, Suite C, Joliet. No appointment necessary. For information, visitwww.spayillinois.org.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.