Celebrating 100 years, the Minooka Women’s Club continues its tradition of service to the Minooka community.
Founded in 1919 by Frances Watson, the daughter of a prominent businessman, the club adopted the slogan “self-improvement and community betterment,” according to a news release from the group.
During early years of the club, meetings were held in members’ homes. Minutes from those days describe elaborate luncheons, menus and table settings. Along with helping to shape Minooka, women were kept informed about the local school, town politics and general information. Today’s meetings are held in the Minooka Village Hall board room.
The club continued its role of service to the community by providing scholarships to high school students, now awarding 11 scholarships each spring. In 1976, Santa’s workshop, an opportunity for children to buy affordable gifts for family, was started. In 1985, the women’s club began to sponsor the “kiddie parade” and children’s games at the Minooka Summerfest.
Today the club has expanded its service to the community in many ways. Members deliver Easter baskets to children of families receiving donations from the Lions Club and volunteer at the Helping Hands Food Pantry in Minooka. They also provide a thank you gift to teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week. Members make donations to Operation Smile, which sends doctors around the world. They participate in village events such as planting and maintaining a pocket park downtown and hosting bingo at the Heritage Woods Senior Center.
The club’s next fundraiser will be a quarter auction on Sept. 14 at Skateland in Channahon. Details will be available on the Minooka Women’s Club Facebook page.