• Hines Veterans Mobile Medical Unit – 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., Morris American Legion Hall 212 W Washington St., Morris. Information and services. For more information, call Ken Buck, superintendent of the Grundy County Veterans Assistance Commission at 815-941-3152.
• Podiatry Care – 8 a.m. to noon; also Oct. 15, Senior Services of Will County Main Office, 251 N Center St., Joliet. Foot and nail assessment services. Appointment needed. Must bring Medicare Card. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• Low Intensity Functional Training (LIFT) class – 9 to 9:30 a.m., every Tuesday and Thursday, The Radiation Therapy Center of Morris Hospital, 1600 W. U.S. Route 6, Morris. Taught by Morris Hospital wellness staff. For people undergoing – or who have completed – cancer treatment. To register, call 815-705-7370.
• Tai Chi Beginners Class – 10 to 11 a.m., also Oct. 15, Senior Services of Will County Main Office, 251 N Center St., Joliet. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• Yoga – 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; also Oct. 15, The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit www.CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Family Caregiver Support Group – 11 a.m.; also Oct. 15, Easter Seals, Joliet Region, 212 Barney Drive, Joliet. Contact Kathy Miller at 815-931-9693 or email@example.com.
• Tai Chi Advanced Class – 1 to 2 p.m., also Oct. 15, 1090 S Cedar Road, New Lenox. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• Prediabetes Education Class – 3 to 4 p.m., Morris Hospital, Education Room 1, 150 W. High St., Morris. To register for the free class, visitmorrishospital.org/eventsor call 815-705-7527.
• Joliet TOPS – Weigh-in is from 4:15 to 4:45 p.m.. Meeting is 5 to 6 p.m.; also Oct. 15, First Presbyterian Church, 805 Western Ave., Joliet. Call Linda at 630-877-7943.
• Endoscopic Management of Reflux & Heartburn – 5 to 6 p.m., Silver Cross Pavilion A Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Boulevard, New Lenox. Learn about the risks and treatment options for heartburn, acid reflux or GERD, Barrett's esophagus and esophageal cancer from Dr. Kamran Ayub, medical director of the Advanced Endoscopy Center at Silver Cross. 18 and up. Free. Visitsilvercross.org.
• Free Women's Defense Class – 6 p.m., St. John’s United Church of Christ, Mokena. Ages 12 and up. Hosted by State Rep. Margo McDermed (R-Mokena), together with One Light Self Defense. Free will donations to to One Light are appreciated. Space limited. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 815-277-2079.
• NAMI Family Support Group (Morris) – 6 to 7:30 p.m., Morris Hospital, 150 High St., Morris. Free. Confidential. Facilitated by trained team of family members of individuals living with mental illness. For more information, call 815-731-9103 or email email@example.com.
• Baby Basics – 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. $25 per couple. Register at silvercross.org.
• Birthing Center tours – 7 p.m., also Oct. 15, Silver Cross Hospital, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Call 888-660-4325 or visit www.silvercross.org.
• Cancer Support Group – 7 to 8:30 p.m. also Oct. 15, Community Christian Church, 24035 Riverwalk Court, Plainfield. For more information, call Pam Kurzawa at 779-227-0002.
• Together We Stand – 7 to 8:30 p.m.; also Oct. 15, Healing from domestic abuse. For more information, email Joyce Frankel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hines Mobile Medical Unit – 9 to 2 p.m., Village Hall 121 E McEvilly Road, Minooka. For information, call Ken Buck at 815-941-3152.
• Wellness Wednesday – Morris Hospital offers affordable health and wellness screenings. For details and locations, visitmorrishospital.org/resources/wellness-wednesdays.
• Cradle Talk – 10 to 11 a.m., Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 815 South Washington St., Naperville. Weekly support group for new parents and their babies, ages 0-6 months. Led by an Edward Hospital mother/baby nurse. Bring newborn with you. For information, call 630-527-3957 or visitwww.eehealth.org/services/pregnancy-baby/resources/cradle-talk.
• Stroke Support Group – 4 to 5 p.m. at Silver Cross Hospital, Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Inpatient Unit Dining Room, 1900 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Visit silvercross.org.
• A Conversation Around Geriatric Oncology – 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. This program will define fitness for therapy within an understanding of life expectancy, quality of life and goals for best care of our older patients facing cancer. Presented by Dr. James Wallace, cancer program director UChicago Medicine Ingalls, co-chair Geriatric oncology clinic at University of Chicago/Hyde Park.To register, call 708-478-3529 or visit CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Free Prenatal Exercise Class on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30 to 6:20 p.m. and Fridays from 9 to 9:50 a.m. at the Morris Community YMCA, 320 Wauponsee St., Morris. Register at morrishospital.org/events. For more information, call 815-942-3012.
• Obesity and Your Health: Is Weight Loss Surgery Right for You? – 5:45 p.m. BMI Surgery, Silver Cross Hospital Pavilion A, Suite 260, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., New Lenox. Drs. Christopher Joyce and Brian Lahmann, gastric bypass surgeons, will offer a free informational session. Register at 888-660-4325 or www.silvercross.org.
• Substance Use Disorder Education – 6 p.m., Stepping Stones, 1621 Theodore St., Joliet. Topics include effects of drugs, overdose prevention, disease versus choice, Alanon and co-dependency, effect on families and needs of family members. Reservations not needed. For information, call 815-744-4555, ext. 111.
•‘Understanding and responding to dementia-related behavior’ – 6:30 p.m., The Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Presented by the Alzheimer’s Association. The public is invited and admission is free. RSVP by calling 815-609-0669 or visit timbersofshorewood.com.
• SMART Recovery – 7 p.m., 1620 Plainfield Rd., Joliet. Free addiction self-help group. Every Wednesday. Contact Angeline DiPasquale at email@example.com or 815-409-0463.
• Weight Control Group – 8 to 9:30 a.m. Senior Services of Will County, 251 N Center St., Joliet. Low impact toning and stretching class. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis) – 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Will County Community Health Center Care Clinic. Offers a Truvada pill, to be taken once a day to prevent transmission of HIV virus. Designed for those without insurance. No one will be turned away. To make an appointment, call 815-727-8830. For information on Truvada, visit www.drugs.com/pro/truvada.html.
• Shorewood TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – Weigh-in is 9 to 9:35 a.m.. Meeting starts at 9:45 a.m., Troy Twp Community Center at 25448 Seil Road in Shorewood. For more information, call Ruth at 815-258-0858.
• Free Harmonica Group – 11 to 11:30 a.m., Diagnostic & Rehabilitative Center, Morris Hospital, 100 W. Gore Road, Morris. For individuals with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis and pulmonary fibrosis. For information, call 815-705-7837.
• Men's Discussion Group – 12:30 to 1:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information, call 708-478-3529 or visit CancerSupportCenter.org.
• “Vaping, Marijuana and Opioids – What Do You Know?”– Plainfield East High School auditorium, 12001 Naperville Road, Plainfield. Speaker presentations at 6 p.m. Community resources available at 5 p.m. including the “Hidden in Plain Sight” trailer, which shows parents where alcohol and drugs can be hidden in plain sight in a typical teen bedroom. Featuring Kathleen Burke, director of substance use initiatives in Will County and Dr. Aaron Weiner, director of addiction services for Linden Oaks Behavioral Health. Free. CEUs and CPDUs available. Visit plainfieldparentcommunitynetwork.org.
• Citizens Against Abuse 21st Annual Rally and March– 5:30 p.m., DuPage Township Levy Center located at 251 Canterbury Drive, Bolingbrook. Speaker: Alicia Guerrero, mother of Briana Valle who was killed by her ex‐boyfriend in 2014. Visit citizensagainstabuse.org.
• Caregiver Support Group – 6:30 p.m., Timbers of Shorewood, 1100 N. River Road, Shorewood. Free to the public. For information, call 815-609-0669 or visit www.timbersofshorewood.com
• Nurturing Mom – 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Offered by Edward Hospital, Naperville. Weekly group for new or expectant moms who are experiencing emotional lows. Led by a licensed clinical psychologist and a therapist with extensive backgrounds in postpartum depression. For information, call 630-527-6363.
• Baby Bereavement Support Group – 7 to 8 p.m., Silver Cross Hospital’s Conference Center, 1890 Silver Cross Blvd., Pavilion A, New Lenox. Visitsilvercross.org.
• QPR (Question, Persuade, and Refer) class – 7 to 8:30 p.m., New Lenox Village Hall, community room. Learn to identify people at risk for suicide. Free. High school age and up. Hosted by New Lenox Safe Communities America Coalition, in partnership with Sertoma Centre, Inc. To register, visit Eventbrite.com. For information, contact Daniel Martin at 815- 462-6493 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• People with Arthritis (P.A.C.E.) – 2 to 4 p.m., Senior Services of Will County, 251 N Center St., Joliet. Low impact toning and stretching class. For information, visit willcountyseniors.org/events or call 815-723-9713.
• Free Seminar about Long Term Care – Noon to 2 p.m., New Lenox Library, 120 Veterans Parkway, New Lenox. To register, call NuMark Credit Union at 815-729-3211 or visit numarkcu.org.
• Balance and Fall Prevention: Free Demo Class registration deadline – Event is 10 to 10:45 p.m., Oct. 14, The Oaks Recreation & Fitness Center, 10847 La Porte Road, Mokena. 21 and up. Call 708-390-2343 or visit mokenapark.org.
• CPR Family and Friends – 1 to 3 p.m., Edward Hospital, 801 Washington St., Naperville. Video-based course teaches hands-on only CPR. Not a certification course. $30. Register at 630-527-6363.
• Fitness Workshop: Intro to Progressive Exercise – 3 to 4 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. Learn how the different types of exercises affect your body. Get an in-depth look at what the machines, bands, tubes, dumbbells, barbells and body weight exercises can and cannot. Get hands on instruction on pushing, pulling and rotational movements, as well as the American College of Sports Medicine's 5 components of fitness. Work at own pace and comfort level. Facilitated by Roy Alfonso, fitness and medical exercise Specialist. To register, call 708-478-3529 or visit CancerSupportCenter.org.
• Teen clinic – 3 to 6 p.m., Will County Community Health Center, 1106 Neal Ave., Joliet. Birth control, health education, and testing pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases and HIV. Ages 12 to 21. Walk-ins welcome. For information, call or text 815-685-2178.
• T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) – 5:15 to 6:45 p.m., Romeoville Police Department, 900 Romeo Road, Romeoville. For more information, call Sandie at 815-886-9252.
• Colorectal Cancer Networking Group – 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., The Cancer Support Center, 19657 S. LaGrange Road, Mokena. For information and to register,call 708-478-3529 or visit CancerSupportCenter.org.