On Oct. 13 2019, at its 10:30 worship service, Plainfield Congregational Church United Church of Christ (PCCUCC) will celebrate 185 years of ministry.
Food and fellowship will follow the service. The public is invited. Rev. Wanda J. Washington from Indianapolis will be the guest preacher. Washington serves patients of Indiana University Hospital as a staff chaplain.
Formerly, she was the founding pastor of Grace United Church of Christ in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and the director of pastoral services for Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago.
She is a graduate of the Chicago Theological Seminary.
Currently located at 24020 W. Fraser Road in Plainfield, the church had its beginnings in 1834 in the homes of various members.
Long-time Plainfield resident, Sally Noble, shared in a news release that her great, great grandparents, John and Margaret Brisben , were two of the founding members.
In 1849, a lot was purchased at what is now 24022 West Lockport Street for $40 .00 and the building construction of the main section was completed in 1850. An east wing was added in 1906 and the west wing was added in the 1990s. This landmark property is currently recognized as the oldest continually used church in Will County .
Beginning on April l5, l861, the day after Fort Sumter fell , Plainfield Congregational Church was used as a site to register men for military service in the Civil War. It also has been reported that the church steeple belfry did not have bells installed because it was used as a place to hide runaway slaves.
In the early l 960's, a major event occurred : the splitting of the congregation and the building of another church on Route 59. The core reasons for the division were parking shortage and the conflict over becoming a part of the United Church of Christ versus remaining Congregationalists only.
The Brown family donated the land on the corner of Rt 59 and Fraser Road, and construction of the new church was completed in 1963.
Approximately half of the members moved to the new church, naming itself Plainfield Congregational Church United Church of Christ. The Lockport Street church was renamed Plymouth Congregational Church.
In the late l 990's, PCCUCC became an open and affirming congregation where all are welcome to visit, share in worship, and join. Additionally, in 2017, PCCUCC proclaimed itself a Kindness Center, with respect caring, and love for others as a core value.