• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Paint Your Pet and Sip – 6 to 9 p.m., Ashbury's at Boughton Ridge, Bolingbrook. Paint your fur baby in costume or character. Artists will pre-sketch canvas and provide directions. Benefits Humane Haven Animal Shelter. For tickets, visit paintyourpetandsip.com. For information, email email@example.com.
• •“Hiking With Your Hound" registration deadline – Event is 10:30 to 6:30 p.m., Forest Preserve District of Will County’s Hammel Woods, Shorewood Shelter, Route 59 Access, Shorewood. Enjoy a guided walk in the woods with your pup. The free program is for all ages. Register at ReconnectWithNature.orgor call 815-722-9470.
• Pumpkin Painting and Play With Puppies – 6 to 7:30 p.m.,Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Also games. $12. $10 each additional child. Adults welcome. To register, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• “Morning Bird Hike" – 8 to 10 a.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Naturalist-led hike of up to 2 miles. Bring binoculars. Free; ages 16 or older. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Howl-O-Ween Pet Costume Contest – 10 a.m., Clow Stephens Dog Park,16650 South Lily Cache Road, Plainfield, Parade and costume judging start at 10:30 a.m. For more information, visit plfdparks.org.
• Volunteer Orientation – 10 to 11 a.m., Joliet Township Animal Control, 2807 McDonough St., Joliet. For new volunteers. Paperwork, tour of facility, policies and safety procedures, Q&A. For information, call 815-725-0333 or email email@example.com.
• Adoption Event – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Louis Joliet Mall, 3400 Mall Loop Drive, Joliet. Hopeful Tails will be located in the Live 360 space. Visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Forest Preserve District 2020 dog park calendar ordering deadline – Costs $15. Proceeds benefit Will County Humane Society. Orders ship week of Nov. 25. Features photos of dogs frolicking at the Forest Preserve District’s six dog parks. Order at willcountydogs.org.
• Volunteer orientation – 5:30 to 7 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. Come dressed to volunteer for a short training. Wear closed-toe shoes and clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. RSVP at 779-206-2132. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.