• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visit bit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Affordable Pet Vaccines: 5 to 8 p.m., Karen’s Grooming and Boarding, 309 Republic Ave., Joliet. For information, call 630-961-8000 or visit www.spayillinois.org.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• “Migratory Bird Hike" registration deadline – Event is 8 to10 a.m., Oct. 26, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve in Plainfield. 1.5-mile guided hike. Age 7 and up. Free. Register at ReconnectWithNature.orgor call 815-886-1467.
• Open Viewing – 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For information, visit hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• Mistwood Spooktacular Ruff Run – 8 to 10 a.m., Mistwood Golf Club, 1700 Renwick Road, Romeoville. To register and for more information, visit mistwoodgc.com/ruffrun.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• Meet a Bat – 2 to 4 p.m., Joliet Public Library, 150 N. Ottawa St.,, Joliet. Meet and learn about bats, courtesy of Flying Fox Conservation Fun. Call 815-740-2660 or visit jolietlibrary.org.
• Subaru Loves Pets! – 5 to 7 p.m., Hawk Subaru, 2401 Route 59, Joliet. Adoptable dogs as well as Will County Humane Society alumni, Woodie the Wonder Pup. Call 815-741-0695 or visit willcountyhumane.com.