• Lake Renwick Heron Rookery – Open daily from 8 a.m. to sunset through Feb. 28. Hiking, running, bird viewing programs. Visitbit.ly/renwickreopens.
• Cat adoption – 5 to 7 p.m.; also 1 to 3 p.m., Sunday, Bolingbrook PetSmart on Weber Road. Call Humane Haven Animal Shelter at 630-378-4208 for information or an appointment. All Humane Haven cats are spayed or neutered, microchipped, FeLV/FIV tested and have their distemper and rabies shots.
• Winged Souls & Milkweed" registration deadline – Event is 2 to 3 p.m., Nov. 2, Isle a la Cache Museum, Romeoville. Monarchs flock back to Mexico at the beginning of November, just in time for the Day of the Dead holiday. Legend has it that the butterflies are the returning souls of loved ones past. Program participants will gather and prepare milkweed seeds for the Forest Preserve and take some home for their own gardens to feed monarchs next spring. Free; ages 10 or older. Register at ReconnectWithNature.org or call 815-886-1467.
• National Bison Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Forest Preserve District of Will County, Sugar Creek Administration Center, 17540 W. Laraway Road, Joliet. Representatives from Ruhter Bison Farm will be on site with bison furs and skulls to talk about this magnificent animal, including bison ecology and agriculture. Prairie hikes at 11 a.m., noon and 1 p.m. Bison chip throwing contest. Winner receives real bison skull donated by Ruhter Bison Farm. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• National Bison Day – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie, Iron Bridge Trailhead, Wilmington. Ribbons cuttings for new features. Restoration hikes. Ranger-guided hikes to look for the bison. Call 815-423-6370.
• Paws to Read – 10:30 a.m. to noon, Fountaindale Public Library District, 300 W. Briarcliff Road, Bolingbrook. Read aloud to dogs. Kindergarten through fifth grade. Call 630-759-2102 or visit fountaindale.org.
• Eat a Bug – Noon to 12:30 p.m., Saturdays and Sundays through Dec. 5, Plum Creek Nature Center, Crete Township. Try a seasoned cricket or mealworm. Free. All ages. Drop-in. Visit ReconnectWithNature.org.
• “Meet a Beekeeper” – 12:30 to 2:30 p.m., Plum Creek Nature Center, Beecher. Mike Rusnak will discuss beekeeping. Q&A. 18 and older. Free. Registration is not required. VisitReconnectWithNature.org.
• Bath Fundraiser – 1 to 4 p.m., Hopeful Tails Animal Rescue, 2303 Oak Leaf St., Joliet. For prices and information, visit the rescue on Facebook or visit www.hopefultailsanimalrescue.org.
• WCHS s-PAW-ghetti Dinner – 1 to 4 p.m.,Troy Township 25448 W. Seil Road, Shorewood. $15. Under age 6 eat for free. Dinner price includes raffle ticket. Benefits renovation at Will County Humane Society. Call 815-741-0695 or visit willcountyhumane.com.