Even though Halloween has ended, impaired driving is still frightening and a DUI can haunt you forever. Instead of drinking and then driving, consider these tips from the Illinois Department of Transportation and the Illinois State Police.
• Designate a sober driver, call a cab, use a ride-sharing service, take mass transit or call a sober friend or family member to get home safely.
• Use your community’s designated driver program, if available.
• If you see an impaired driver on the road, pull over and dial 911 immediately.
• If you see an people who are impaired and about to drive, take their keys and help them get home safely.
• Make sure everyone in your vehicle wears a seat belt and children are safely secured in an appropriate car seat or booster seat.