Digital Access

Digital Access
Access theherald-news.com and all Shaw Media Illinois content from all your digital devices and receive breaking news and updates from around the area.

Home Delivery

Home Delivery
Local news, sports, business, classified and more! News you can use every day.

Text Alerts

Text Alerts
Choose your news! Select the text alerts you want to receive: breaking news, weather, and more.

Email Newsletters

Email Newsletters
Have our latest news, sports and obituaries emailed directly to you Monday through Friday so you can keep up with what's happening in the area.
Features

5 things pet owners need to know about pets and marijuana

With relaxed laws around marijuana in many states, humans may be less concerned with leaving it out. Unfortunately, this means pets are getting into their owners’ stashes and the results can be harmful.
With relaxed laws around marijuana in many states, humans may be less concerned with leaving it out. Unfortunately, this means pets are getting into their owners’ stashes and the results can be harmful.

Trupanion, which offers medical insurance for pets, looked at its database of more than 500,000 cats and dogs to find out how marijuana is affecting them.

Here are five things pet owners should know need to know, along with some advice from Trupanion’s staff veterinarian, Dr. Caroline Wilde.

1) THC is toxic for pets

With relaxed laws around marijuana in many states, humans may be less concerned with leaving it out. Unfortunately, this means pets are getting into their owners’ stashes and the results can be harmful.

Trupanion sees five times more claims that involve cannabis ingestion than that of alcohol. THC can cause balance problems, irregular heartbeat, incontinence or worse.

Even inhalation through second-hand smoke can be very dangerous to pets.

2) Pot brownies and other edibles spell double trouble for your pet

Edibles may be a favorite way to get high for some humans, but make sure to keep those infused confections away from your pet.

Trupanion has found that in the past, nearly 10% of marijuana toxicity claims are paired with chocolate toxicity.

On their own, substances such as chocolate, butter and oil can be harmful to pets and, when combined with marijuana, the results are far worse and could potentially cause vomiting, diarrhea or pancreatitis.

“Edible forms of marijuana ‘double down’ on the toxicity, as the oil or plant is generally combined with something else that can be toxic to the pet,” noted Caroline Wilde, staff veterinarian at Trupanion said in a news release from Trupanion.

“For example, a pot brownie contains THC, which while toxic, is generally less potentially harmful than the chocolate it is combined with. Depending on the amount and type consumed, chocolate can cause heart rhythm disturbances and seizures, and can even be fatal at high enough doses.”

3) Treating pets with marijuana toxicity can be expensive

The average cost to treat marijuana toxicity is around $500, but in some severe cases can run thousands of dollars. To date, Trupanion has paid out over $310,000 in claims

Over the past five years Trupanion has processed nearly 1,000 claims related to marijuana ingestion

4) How prevalent is weed-related illness in pets?

It varies from state to state and province to province. In the U.S., Trupanion sees the highest frequency of marijuana toxicity claims in Oregon, California, Washington, Nevada and Massachusetts (in that order).

In Canada, Trupanion sees the highest frequency of marijuana toxicity claims in British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario (in that order).

5) What Should you do if you suspect your dog has ingested marijuana?

“If you suspect your dog has ingested marijuana, you should seek veterinary advice immediately, so that they can determine the best course of action to minimize adverse effects,” Wilde said in the release. “It is really important to be honest with your vet about what was consumed, so that they can best help your pet.”

Management of marijuana or THC ingestion will depend on how recently it was consumed, how much was consumed, and what it was combined with.  

If ingestion was recent, the pet's veterinarian may be able to induce vomiting. Depending on the amount of time that has passed, the veterinarian can sometimes administer activated charcoal to reduce the amount absorbed in the GI tract.

When pets are sedate, veterinarians can offer supportive care, with fluids and monitoring, and they can manage any of the related adverse effects.

Loading more