Call my unhealthy, call my juvenile, but I love a great hot dog.
So with Wednesday being National Hot Dog Day, I've listed four places in Joliet where I love to get a hot dog - and a fifth that I've yet to try.
But if you prefer to stay home and are feeling creative in the kitchen, Westlake Ace Hardware, which has a location in Naperville, offers these upscale recipes - as well as a few fun hot dog facts.
And then below that, check out my five picks for the best hot dogs in Joliet. Be sure to call first as hours are subject to change, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• The Cilantro-Lime Corn Dog, a savory and spicy twist on an old favorite
• The grilled “Carrotdog” with avocado and cilantro, a tasty meatless alternative
• Pickled red onions, a tangy twist on a favorite hot dog topping
• Fire roasted chimichurri, a fresh and unexpected way to liven up a hot dog
For recipes, visit westlakehardware.com/landing-pages/grill-products.
National Hot Dog Day Fun Facts
• Hot Dog Day was established in 1972 by Alfred University students Eric Vaugh and Mark O’Meara.
• The first words spoken by Walt Disney’s Mickey Mouse were, “Hot Dog!” The cartoon was called “The Carnival Kid” and it was created in 1929.
• It is estimated that 20 billion hot dogs are consumed every year in the U.S.
• According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, the top hot dog consuming cities are Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and Detroit.
• Hot dogs were first sold at baseball games in 1893.
BABE'S HOT DOGS
WHEN: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday; and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: 2600 W. Jefferson St. Joliet
DOGS: Jumbo and regular sized hot dogs, jumbo chili dog, jumbo cheese dog, corn dog, and Maxwell Street Polish sausage. Add kraut to any dog for 40 cents.
INFO: Call 815-744-7773 or visit babeshotdogs.com. Menu online
HEY HOT DOG
WHEN: 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Closed Sunday
WHERE: 601 Ruby St. Joliet
ETC: Known for its homemade root beer.
INFO: Call 815-723-5487.
JERRIE'S DOGS & MORE
WHEN: 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday
WHERE: 1003 Essington Road, Joliet
DOGS: Jerrie Dog (Chicago-style), “J” Town Dog, Essington Dog, deep fried dog, double dog, veggie dog, corn dog, Polish sausage
INFO: Call 815-666-1196 or visit jerriesdogsandmore.com. Menu online
JODY'S HOT DOGS
WHEN: 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Wednesday and 10 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday through Saturday. Closed Sunday
WHERE: 326 Republic St. Joliet
DOGS: Chicago-style hot dogs: regular and jumbo hot dogs, double dogs, chili dogs, chili cheese dogs, corn dogs and Polish sausage
INFO: Call 815-729-0251 or visit jodyshotdogs.com. Menu online.
JOES HOT DOG
WHEN: 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday; 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday; and 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday
WHERE: 810 Plainfield Road, Joliet
ETC: No drive-thru as of June 25. Lobby for ordering only. Masks required. Hours may differ from website.
DOGS: Hot dogs, kraut dogs, chili dogs, cheese dogs, and chili and cheese dogs.
INFO: Call 815-723-6375 or visit joeshotdogsjoliet.com. Menu online